Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How much cell phone/hot spot data do you use ?
Less than 5GB/month 2 7.14%
Between 5 and 10 GB/month 2 7.14%
Between 10 and 20 GB/month 3 10.71%
Between 20 and 50 GB/month 7 25.00%
More than 50 GB/month 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Cell phone/hot spot data usage

So just how much do data do you use. If you have multiple lines, please report the one that typically has the most usage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't really add to your poll since our plan from Verizon 55+ unlimited limits hot spot to 600KBS from day one which is worthless.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Normally Use 1 1/2 GB Per Week

I normally use about 1.5 GB per week. I stay off Youtube which is a real GB eater, and mostly off Facebook as well. When Microsoft decides to update Windows and/or Office they can gobble up a couple of GBs as well, but that's hard to predict.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We stream all of our TV on the RV. We have both Verizon and ATT hotspots. Both with completely unlimited data plans. We use 250 to 300 gigs per month total. That number is both carriers combined. Yesterday we were in a place where ATT was weak and Verizon was super strong. Today it’s just the opposite. We use whichever one works best in each locale. So far, we haven’t been in a place where “something” didn’t work.

Example: Today we’re in deep south rural Texas, in a State Park 30 miles from the nearest town. There is zero Verizon service... not even for a phone call. But ATT is downloading at 6 mbps more than enough for high res streaming.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
I normally use about 1.5 GB per week. I stay off Youtube which is a real GB eater, and mostly off Facebook as well. When Microsoft decides to update Windows and/or Office they can gobble up a couple of GBs as well, but that's hard to predict.

My normal usage is 20 to 40 gigs. The month after I installed Win 10 on my computer, I used 75 gigs.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have moved my S&B to cellular using a AT&T Mobley and Verizon prepaid MIFI (have same setup in the RV) I use about 250gb per month. Stream tv using PlayStation.vue, also stream YouTube and Pandora. Run a Windows Server 2012 along with security cameras & DVR.
KirkAlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #7

I jumped on the AT&T Mobley plan when it was first introduced. Then moved the SIM card to a Netgear Explore MIFI unit. Currently using on average 120GB per month @ a cost of $23.29 per month.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #8

Due to family responsibilities, we due our very best when travel to stay connected either via phone and or data. For this reason, we've an assortment of different devices, and supporting amps, antennas, etc.

Not a complete list, but just info sharing:
>Att
-iPhone 7 with HotSpot and shared Data Plan with other family members
-Unite Explore HotSpot with stand alone 20GB plan, for backup (SIM removed)
-Mobley Plan - With SIM used in Unite Explore HotSpot
(The Unite Explore HotSpot is connected to MobileMarks Rooftop MIMO antenna. And this combo, is our now our champion of download speeds (Aura, Colorado's Cheery Creek, 117Mbps)

>Verizon Samsung S8 - With HotSpot activated, and Grand Fathered Unlimited data plan.

>Also for backup, and for when we travel in Canada, we have a Millenicom ZTE Falcon HotSpot. We activate 100GB per month, as needed.

(The Verizon had been our Go To Data Provider for many years. (Starting with a Motorola DROID and 3 to 4G days.)

We found that in the regions we travel frequently, West of the Mississippi, that usually when Verizon does not have coverage, ATT does, and visa versa... Though in the last 2-3 years, the frequency of one carrier not having coverage when the other does, has dropped dramatically.

So when get get to a new reason, I take about 10-15 minutes to determine which combo off our equipment and carriers provides the best download speeds. And we run with that.

I'd say over a two three year period, we used Verizon the most. Over the last year of travel, there has been more usage of the MIMO feed to the Unite Explore on ATT...

Next year, who knows!

We are heavy streamers, and we also use the best connection device, and WiFi our phones into which ever that device is, to ensure we have good Text and Email coverage to stay in contact with family.

I'll note that we also have a WiFiRanger GOac and EliteAC FM available, but in the last few years, we use park WiFi very seldom. We do however depend upon the GOac and EliteAC FM to use all of our equipment. We also share a 'quest' spot for others in campgrounds, when we know someone needs to also stay connected for various reasons, but do not have robust enough Data feeds to do so...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I upload videos to Youtube but rarely stream full length movies and use 80 to 90 GB average
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote