Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2005, 06:00 AM   #1

We will be going to the Mission, TX area for the first time this winter and have concerns about using our AllTel cell phones there. We called AllTel and were told we could incur international roaming charges even though we have the Total Freedom plans (no roaming in the U.S.). Last summer when we went to Canada, AllTel told us to turn our phones off to avoid getting calls and having roaming charges because they don't have a plan that covers Canada. We've been satisfied with AllTel, but we are considering changing to Verizon if we could get a plan that works better for Mexican and Canadian coverage. Could someone who lives or spends time in the Mission area provide some advice on cell phone plans that are used there?

Thank you.
x-word is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2005, 06:00 AM   #2

We will be going to the Mission, TX area for the first time this winter and have concerns about using our AllTel cell phones there. We called AllTel and were told we could incur international roaming charges even though we have the Total Freedom plans (no roaming in the U.S.). Last summer when we went to Canada, AllTel told us to turn our phones off to avoid getting calls and having roaming charges because they don't have a plan that covers Canada. We've been satisfied with AllTel, but we are considering changing to Verizon if we could get a plan that works better for Mexican and Canadian coverage. Could someone who lives or spends time in the Mission area provide some advice on cell phone plans that are used there?

Thank you.
x-word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #3

I must not understand what you are saying..

You say you are going to Mission Texas and you could incur "International" roaming charges ... HUH ???

Has Mission Texas moved over the border to Mexico ? I always thought Mission was inside the state of Texas. The map shows it to be..

I have the Cingular $39.99 plan that gives me 450 minutes of prime time use,(M-F 7am-7pm) plus 5000 minutes of nights and weekend minutes, plus NO roaming and NO long distance anywhere in the continental USA..

AND..... any of those 450 minutes of prime time that I don't use this month are "rolled over" to next month..
I don't lose them and I have never used all of my 450 minutes within a month...

There are always left over minutes that carry over to next month.

example...
If I only use 100 minutes in November...

on the first of December, the left over 350 minutes are added to December's 450 minutes

which gives me 800 minutes to use in December..

and on and on and on.. the minutes go.. does Verizon or any other cell phone company do this ?

I'd think about Cingular's "Roll-Over plans"
They range from $39 to I believe $99.. and well worth it..

best wishes,
John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:57 PM   #4

John, This is WAY late, but we run into this same problem here in Maine. If you travel close to the Canadian border, your phone hits the closest tower, be it US or Canadian.

I have Cingular, and have to fight with them if I make or receive a call that goes through Canada. Their answer is "buy a plan that covers you in Canada", my answer is "I have not been in Canada, why don't you have something on your system so I can tell I am using a tower out of the US."

They fight but always give in. I was using data in Calais, it switched to Canada (I guess?) and I got billed for roaming for $200.00+!!

Just FYI.

Have a good 2006.

Dick

GreyhairedoldSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #5

Hi Dick,
It's never too late for good informnation.

I was not aware of situations like that until this thread appeared.

I don't think I will ever be that close to a border to have a problem, but you be sure that this info is filed away in the "little grey cells" as Hucule Piorot would say.

Thanks,
John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote