RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #1

Cell phones & Wi Fi

We are from British Columbia. Travelling to USA this winter, then back to BC in the spring. Anyone have information on least expensive way for cell phone use and portable Wi Fi.
Any help greatly appreciated.

wratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #2

US wireless market is very competitive and the offerings change all the time, so bear in mind things will change between now and then. To get quality answers it would help to state how much data you need, and how many phones. Multiple line discounts affect the math.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

We are from Ontario, ca
Last year bought ATT Sim card and put in my wife's cell phone. $40.00 per month unlimited calling and txt us and Canada. 6 gig data included.
I also bought a netgear HOTSPOT off ebay and an ebay setup for a unlimited data only plan. It was also ATT 29.95 per month.
Left my phone on koodo for any calls to it.
I have used android app called hangouts dialer for outgoing calls from my phone when on WiFi.

RoadrunnerII
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Cricket Wireless uses the AT&T network and is $35/month autopay. Red Pocket has Sims for all 4 networks and their basic plan is $10, cheap enough that I use it on VZW as a spare/backup in case there is no AT&T service or I forget my main phone.
As for Wi-Fi, I tried a VZW prepaid unlimited hotspot ($65) that worked well while camping, but useless at home so I suspended that and am exploring an AT&T $35 plan off eBay next week.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #5

I would look at OTR mobile for the internet side, $60 per month, prepaid, month to month with $20 activation.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #6

Cell phones & Wi Fi

I have a Koodo pay as you go. $15 a month access and unlimited texting, buy my minutes and they never expire. Last year they had a USA talk special 25$ for 300 minutes I think. USA text was $5 for 500 texts. Much cheaper than us rates especially when you add exchange rate. No new number also.
For data check with your provider here. We used my wife’s bell Canada for emergency data if camp WiFi wasn’t secure . Eg banking etc. They will sell you access to your own cell and data while in the states for $7 a day maxing at (not bell but Telus and Rogers do) 15 days , again cheaper than US rates when factoring in exchange if you use lots of data.
Wife has a $60 10 gig plan unlimited minutes. So for $8 a day we have access to that amount , paying only for each day used.

Don’t forget your paying for Canadian cell even while your not in Canada
Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #7

We use Tracfone on a Verizon CDMA band. By paying for a year, it costs about $15 a month with ample talk, text and cellular data
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Welllll....

We used AT&T last year when travelling to Mexico. We also bought a new phone from them. Bought it in Washington State. They did not tell us that it was locked when we bought it. We were assured it would work for us throughout the States and Mexico. After arriving in San Carlos, we had no service to USA or Canada. We spent over 9 hours over several days on the phone with AT&T service, talking with “representatives” in both Guatemala and the Philippines. No help whatsoever, just the run around. We’ll get back to you they said. Our tech support is working on it they said. AT&T Mexico was unable to help us. Finally, after 2 weeks, we bought new SIM cards for our IPhones from Telcel (Mexico) and used them for 4 months in Mexico, a month in the USA, and all the way back to Canada without a problem. When we stopped in at the place we bought the phone, (Bellingham) they refused to refund our 2 months of lost (non) service. They also refused to unlock our phone because we had “not used their service for 5 consecutive months”! @*$&#+/. We appealed to AT&T corporate with our experience, but they declined to help, once again citing our lack of 5 months continuous service.

We will never use AT&T again. They are not about fair play, honour or good service. Had they told us the phone was locked, or that they would not honour their salesman’s agreement to give us service in Canada, USA and Mexico, we never would have spent the money on a phone that is now useless to us.

Stay away from AT&T if you are going into Mexico. We’ll look for another provider, but NEVER AGAIN AT&T.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #9

Excesses, did you use a credit card to purchase your AT&T phone that was locked. If so I would contact the credit company and file a dispute and ask for a full refund. It may be too late but I would give it a try. Explain to them that you were out of the country.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Excesses, did you use a credit card to purchase your AT&T phone that was locked. If so I would contact the credit company and file a dispute and ask for a full refund. It may be too late but I would give it a try. Explain to them that you were out of the country.
But no, we paid cash. But thank you for your supporting advice/ suggestion. Much appreciated. 👍

Cheers

DJ
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmon View Post
We use Tracfone on a Verizon CDMA band. By paying for a year, it costs about $15 a month with ample talk, text and cellular data

Is your tracphone pay as you go? We purchased one in Bellingham and by the time we hit Indio ca. It wouldn’t work. Despite numerous updates etc ,even a new sim card no luck . Final response was “ well you bought it in another area, it’s not supposed to work in another state” . I thought these were mobile phones.