Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Cellular Data Coverage Lower 48

Looking for input on cell phone coverage across the lower 48. Have been a AT&T customer for past 20 years and after spending 9 weeks in Yellowstone this last summer, they have now decided to restrict my data usage to the AT&T network only. So when I am in an "off network area", I will not have any data capacity. My 10G data plan will be worthless when traveling in the most northern states, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Before I switch to Verizon, could anyone share their experience with Verizon's voice, text, and data plans while traveling across the entire U.S.? It appears on the coverage maps that Verizon has a bigger foot print? Btw, I retired from AT&T after 41 years, and it gives me no pleasure in switching, but this is absurd. Thanks for your input and sharing.

Randy Lloyd
ll4044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Verizon works the best. We've had the rest! No kidding we've traveled in a lot of desolate places and verizon performs the best. We gave ATT a chance but just did not cut it. Most folks I speak with echo the same sentiments.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think there are still plenty of places in the states you mentioned where a CB is used as emergency backup to a cell phone. That being said we spend a lot of time off the beaten path and find Verizon to be very reliable. We do have a Wilson Sleek in the toad and a Wilson Signal Booster in the MH but rarely need them unless parked for an extended period far away from civilization.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

We have friends that both retired from AT&T and they are always having problems when we don't. We have Verizon and have been all across the US and have only found a few places that we had problems.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been to all 48 states and coverage was pretty good most of the time with Verizon.

Just came across the country from California to Ft Lauderdale this week on I10 and had good coverage 98 % of the time.

Data plan was $30 for a month and only 4 gigabytes...very pricey but at the campgrounds where WiFi is poor the hotspot on my Note 2 works great.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Verizon is by far the best for data coverage. Coverage is much broader than any of the others. As far as phone, Verizon is still better than AT&T.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you retired from AT&T..

It appears from their ads that they are improving their coverage. You may need to re-check those maps often.

I'm very anti-verizon for assorted reasons (mostly cuss-some-more non-service) so I do not use them.

But, you may wish to keep checking AT&T.

Verizon you need to pay real close attention to the fine print as well.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forgot about the hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We've been to all 48 states and coverage was pretty good most of the time with Verizon.

Just came across the country from California to Ft Lauderdale this week on I10 and had good coverage 98 % of the time.

Data plan was $30 for a month and only 4 gigabytes...very pricey but at the campgrounds where WiFi is poor the hotspot on my Note 2 works great.
X-2. This feature is by far the most reliable vs. ATT data plan. Using it now. Big, huge plus for Verizon. Can be pricy BUT it works. Period.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Used Verizon for years great coverage for voice and data, only place I did not have it was in Big Bend and Bad Lands National Parks. Great in Yellowstone (Camped in Fishing Bridge) 2 months ago.

Verizon gives 15% off the data plan to veterans, do not have to be retired.
Also the just lowered there 10 Mg plan from $100 to $ 80 a month
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I worked as an AT&T cellular salesman, I quit because my customers got poor customer service unless they came back to their original salesperson. I went to Verizon because the coverage was so much better in CA and AZ.

Glenn
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
my wife and I both retired from AT&T. We've had Verizon wireless since our first cell phones back in the mid 90's. Verizon coverage has always been better.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote