Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cellular Wifi, another option if interested

There has been a lot of posts about getting wifi while traveling and what is the best setup. I think most won't disagree that there isn't a "one solution fits all" for those of us that has to wifi. I only post this to provide another option and I don't see, via the search function, that it has been discussed very much.

First my initial setup. I have ATT unlimited jetpack via a seller from Ebay. I also was able to get the Verizon 8800 jetpack with "unlimited" before they stopped the plan. I have the pepwave router BK1 MK2 with a Ponyting antenna on the roof of the coach, 4 feet from the router. One last thing is that I have have a $30 Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna.

I tried to put both the Verizon and ATT sim into the pepwave. It has not proven to be the best solution for me. It may be the area I am in and where we travel at this point, but, often times speeds less than 5mbps down; not acceptable for my needs.

I then looked into Speedify and Connectify. It seemed very promising so I decided to try it out. I learned a lot from David Bott and his website, outside our bubble. I purchased a mini computer running windows 10, a mini 7 inch touch screen monitor, and wireless keyboard. I downloaded the two programs and also added a dongle wifi to the mini computer. I ended up keeping the ATT in the Pepwave router and since Verizon is stronger in the area kept that in the 8800 hooked up to the inexpensive Netgear antenna.

The end result is that I now have more than acceptable speeds anywhere I have traveled; keep in mind, we are forced to stay in the eastern half of North America at this point. The reason, and the benefit to speedify and connectify, is that these programs will take multiple wifi signals and combine the speed of each device and provide a total speed. This means that in my situation where i get 3mbps from Verizon and 2 mbps from ATT my total speed becomes 5mbps.

I am not suggesting this is for everyone but for those that have to have absolute wifi, this is another option. Below are a few pic's of my setup. I hope this is helpful to someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9sb9oxIpROyMxqc5Qoicww.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	256937   Click image for larger version

Name:	6sS5%VacSmGcMoZZZeyFkg.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	256938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	r3XMvPHhRv6iaCerQtg92g.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	256939   Click image for larger version

Name:	hLk69uncTnygFOs%OLNTYw.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	256940  

brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
think its been discussed before
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry, didn't see it after searching. Hope I didn't ruin your night. Just trying to do my part

Will delete the post if I need to.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Sorry, didn't see it after searching. Hope I didn't ruin your night. Just trying to do my part

Will delete the post if I need to.
I had not seen this info. Thanks for posting!
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #5

Thanks for posting. Had not seen before nor knew what to search under!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #6

Interesting! I may explore this more in the future.

I went the low-tech (low cost) route. Since I like to park under trees, my satellite would hardly ever work. On the advice of a DishTV tech I cancelled my sat tv account.

My solution for TV and Internet is (after much shopping and looking):

Netgear Nighthawk M1 hot spot (under $200.00) with the $30 Netgear MiMo antenna.

T-Mobile unlimited data plan (true unlimited, no throttling at 20gb) via Wirelessbuy.com for $79.00 month

Amazon FireStick plugged into my TV's HDMI port which provides thousands of viewing options. We use two or three...

The hotspot can connect 10 devices, which is five more than I need.

The downside is cellular connectivity. T-Mobile is nearly everywhere, especially now with the impending Sprint merger. As I move further east across the country my speeds and reliability have increased. So far, this set up meets all my needs with adequate speed for streaming TV, uploading and downloading pictures etc. And with true unlimited I don't worry about extra charges or throttling.
LandKPart2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi