Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Changing Directv Service Address?

I very seldom do this while traveling, but I want to do it while I am in Marion, NC for 10 nights. By reading this forum I will try to use the chat feature. Is there anything in particular that I need to know ahead of time besides the address? Also what locals will be shown? The DW cannot miss her finals on BB and Masterchef. By checking TVFool.com the antennas may be out of reach.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #2

I have Dish Network service and it is a very easy process to "Chatt" with them and change service address. Only takes about 10 minutes. I can't speak for Directv though.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what I do when I chat with Direct TV:

I am traveling in a recreational vehicle and would like to change my service address for local channels to.
XXXXXX. I will be here until XXXX. My billing address will remain XXXXX

We have completed our trip in our RV. We are at home now at our service address XXXXXX2871. Please turn on the local stations for are home address. Our billing address will remain xxxxxxx.

This seems to work for us.

2017 Fleetwood Discovery 37R, 2014 Honda CRV toad.
JFreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #4

I tried the chat feature today and it would not change the service address. She gave me a phone number to call and said she could not change the service address, but she could change the billing address.

I called the phone number I had for years and it worked. The only difference was before it was Americans on the phone. This time I could not tell what she was saying half the time. I finally figured out she wanted the county I was in,
Old 09-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreitas View Post
This is what I do when I chat with Direct TV:

I am traveling in a recreational vehicle and would like to change my service address for local channels to.
XXXXXX. I will be here until XXXX. My billing address will remain XXXXX

We have completed our trip in our RV. We are at home now at our service address XXXXXX2871. Please turn on the local stations for are home address. Our billing address will remain xxxxxxx.

This seems to work for us.
Jeff thanks. I copied this down and saved it for future reference, of course with modifications. Apparently it didn't work for Raymond.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Jeff thanks. I copied this down and saved it for future reference, of course with modifications. Apparently it didn't work for Raymond.
I believe it has to be whatever customer service rep you get. A lot of times if I got a bad CS rep I would hang up and try again. I followed Bigbird's directions.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

I call Direct TV moving service at 855 333 0032 and tell them I will be at a temp address for awhile and need to change my service address. Takes about 5 minutes.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changing Directv Service Address?

I found you had to get a "retention" agent for 90% of the std cust service folks totally fail at this. When I got back home from last trip they wanted to send a tech out to realign antenna, called bs on that. The std reps always ask to let them try! Called back in 30 min and finally got to a retention rep and got it done in a couple min.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I call Direct TV moving service at 855 333 0032 and tell them I will be at a temp address for awhile and need to change my service address. Takes about 5 minutes.
This is the number the chat CS gave me. Did you get someone that spoke good English?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

I got someone that spoke English yesterday but they still screwed it up.
I found this works and is simple. If you have a direct bill to a credit. card and do not receive paper bills. Log into your account and change your billing address. This will change the spot beam. You have to put in a address near you and it must be a real address. I did this yesterday and now have the local channels at my location. The great thing about this is you do not have to deal with people.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I found this works and is simple. If you have a direct bill to a credit. card and do not receive paper bills. Log into your account and change your billing address. This will change the spot beam. You have to put in a address near you and it must be a real address. I did this yesterday and now have the local channels at my location. The great thing about this is you do not have to deal with people.
I think this might hose up when DTV hits your credit card and the billing addresses don't match. Worth a try, let us know how it works long term.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the last two years I have called DTV and it usually took less than a few minutes to change my service address, and last year we did it 4 times over the six months and this year about the same. The last two times this summer it took almost 20 minutes and several people before they did it. I am almost tempted next year to go ahead and sign up for DNS and not worry about it.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 AM   #13

Quote:
I wonder if I could try this when I change back to my home address. I could change it to my next stop and then change it back to my home address. My next stop will only be for one or two nights. I usually only change my service address when I am at a location for a week or more and I cannot pick up the locals via an OTA antenna.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampers227 View Post
I think this might hose up when DTV hits your credit card and the billing addresses don't match. Worth a try, let us know how it works long term.
I don't think DTV reports the service address to the CC company, but I will know in a couple of weeks and report back.

Tags
directv, service