Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Changing Dish Network Local Channels

We have Dish Network on the road and at home. Until our recent retirement, we have rarely traveled outside the reach of our area's spot beam, so we have almost always watched our local channels while camping. We just returned from a long trip to Utah where we lost our locals. I called Dish and had them change my RV receiver's service address so that I could get Salt Lake City's local network channels. This worked well, but I had no idea that this would screw things up for me at home. Changing my RV receiver's service address also changed my receiver's spot beam back at home, which stopped all of my network channel DVR recordings.

Is it possible to change the spot beam on only one receiver or did the Dish Network rep screw up?

Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #2

Unfortunately that is how it works. Unless you pay for 2 accounts.

Another method to consider is using your OTA antenna to provide locals to your DISH receiver. If you are in an area that you can get OTA.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have the same problem. You get in the habit of calling them while enroute home so that you'll be all set up when you get there. Minor inconvenience for how nice it is to have while out on the road.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #4

Yes, that is how it works. First time we did this, wife lost all programs she likes to record while we are gone. So much for local channels while traveling--wife loves her recorded programs more than local news. Baaaaddd deal if we are traveling when DWTS comes on--she is torn between losing current DWTS and all the stuff she records. I have learned to just stay out of it and drink beer...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wing nut we take our DVR Dish box with us so it still records all our favorite shows just like if we were home. I'm with you on the beer drinking, and she gets to enjoy all her shows.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Won't work like that with the Hopper receiver. But, you say that you can get all the local
channels wherever you are?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I call them and tell them where we are and get their locals for abc,cbs,nbc. Then our DVR records our favorite network and cable shows while we goof off camping. I don't have a hopper, just a 722 HD dvr.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just had Dish install a Hopper and a Joey in the coach also. A few bucks per month but well worth it, as the DW is HAPPY now. Cost not worth the aggravation.......

Dave
Old 10-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Won't work like that with the Hopper receiver. But, you say that you can get all the local
channels wherever you are?
Joe
The Hopper will still record prime time anytime even if it gets the HD signals thru your OTA.
The problems is when you are in an area where the local channels are in SD. Then the Hopper will not record prime time anytime. But you can still record them manually.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
The Hopper will still record prime time anytime even if it gets the HD signals thru your OTA.
The problems is when you are in an area where the local channels are in SD. Then the Hopper will not record prime time anytime. But you can still record them manually.
I don't think so -- Hopper records PTAT via sat, not OTA.

But you can change the local TV stations you receive on a Hopper by contacting DISH and changing your Service Address -- just like any other DISH receiver.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I don't think so -- Hopper records PTAT via sat, not OTA.

But you can change the local TV stations you receive on a Hopper by contacting DISH and changing your Service Address -- just like any other DISH receiver.
Your right. Bad old memory. But upon playback of OTA networks it thinks they are PTAT and in the unlikely event that the show has Auto Hop it will work same as if it was recorded via PTAT.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #12

I have recently bought a Northern star and there is a dome on the roof, can I assume there is a satellite dish underneath it, if so how can I get it working.
Paulraymond.
Paulraymond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish