Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #1

Changing Dish Network Local Channels

We recently signed up with Dish Network. We're in the Orlando market now, and get the Orlando local channels. Next week, we'll be in the outer banks of NC, and the week after that in the Atlanta area.

In order to get the local channels of wherever we happen to be, do we have to call Dish Network? Or can we change the locality ourselves either online, or through the receiver setup?

ETA: We are full timers, and do not have a home base. Our receiver in the motorhome is the only one we have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #2

Just call Dish and request a change of service address
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to change your "Service Address" only. I use Dishnets web chat system, and copy/paste a little script that I use.

DO NOT tell them you're in a RV or you'll spend the next 30 minutes trying to convince them that simply changing your service address is all you want.

Look at the article I wrote.

Using our home Dishnet receiver while on the road | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Scroll down near the bottom of the article to :
Note 2 – CHANGING YOUR SERVICE ADDRESS ..

Youll see the script I copy/past into the Dishnets web chat . Make sure you include your Dish account number and the address of the campground or nearby business as the Service Address.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
local channels

I usually just fire up the tablet or laptop and do it ...worse case I have to use the chat function but I almost never have to call

Calling does work if all else fails !

Enjoy!
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
I usually just fire up the tablet or laptop and do it ...worse case I have to use the chat function but I almost never have to call

Calling does work if all else fails !

Enjoy!
How do you do it without chatting it calling? As I understand one cannot change service address oneself online.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP. I use chat from my phone. It's easy. Start chat, enter your name and phone number, check yes to being a dish customer. It will then prompt for your four digit security code. Enter "I am traveling in my motorhome please change the SERVICE address to xyz (you have to provide a full street address) Press send. The dish system will advise you of the expected wait time - usually less than a minute. The customer rep comes on, does it, asks if anything else is needed, done. In about 15 minutes it takes affect.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I just call and it's done in about ten minutes.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Online chat using a phone is faster and less problems typically a phone conversation results in finding someone who is new or confused.
Like others I also copy and paste a standard script after reaching a real person in chat that asks how can I help you. I do that because I type slowly
I modify the script each time to the right address. We are full time and I do clearly state in the script I'm in a rv .. never had a problem
The key is your account number and having a online account so you have a security code and clearly state you are changing your service address only
You can't do it online by yourself yet though that would be nice .. a service rep has to do it for you

Using the satelliteguys website you can enter different towns and see the local spot beam coverage on a map and decide which town will serve you longer as you travel
Just give them a address in that town as long as you'll be in that spot beam. I'm in ( was) eureka California but use the Portland Oregon feed because it will cover me all the way up to Seattle as I travel north.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
JDT

I take a different approach which works most of the time, at least for us. We have 2 211z receivers and a Trav'ler for Dish. I have an over the air tuner (a little box with a cable in and USB out) for both receivers which lets me download local, over the air channels into the program guide. We can watch them without having to switch inputs. I do this because if I change our address I lose the regional broadcasts of some of the sports I enjoy, like our local college football and other sports and the OKC Thunder.

Like I said, it works most of the time and usually gets enough of the locals to let us keep up with the weather and news. The one place it doesn't work is in Estes Park, Co. We usually spend several weeks there each year and the mountains totally block the Denver stations in the rv park we use. Depending on when we are there I either change our address or just use the park cable for locals.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By all means use Chat. In the drop down box select, "My Programing", sign in, and then type that you wish to change the SERVICE ADDRESS Only and type the new address. Then select the Chat button. Often times you will need to instruct them to scroll down to see your message.

Always check that they didn't change your billing address as sometimes they will. You can change that address on your own so if they do, just change it back.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #11

I called yesterday. Told her that I wanted to change my "Service" Address to receive local channels. She told me the new City for locals and that was it. Great Service. I do this at least 50 times a year and where I had issues in the past I was told to push 4 for tech support and no issues since. Now if only they could get the guide to refresh faster.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

Some will ask for both full address and zip code. Yesterday only asked for the zip.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #13

All you need do is call Dish @ 888-440-1809. After the normal # of prompts you'll get to a real, LIVE, human being, who actually speaks ENGLISH. Give them the town/zip code of your current location and tell them you'd like to get the "local" network channels. They basically zap the box and your good to go. I, like most full-timers, pay and additional $10 a month for this service and Dish is EXCELLENT at honoring my request to get the local network stations up and running.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #14

Web chat works great to change 'service address'. You can't change that yourself with the App or webpage. But... do use webpage or App near end of month to confirm billing address (zip code) wasn't changed or your auto payment will fail.

Make sure you have satellite dish pointed and receiver on when changing locals or your receiver might miss the message.

Some areas (service addresses) don't have locals in HD, only SD. Some don't have locals on satellite 110, 119, or 129; only 61.6 so no joy there either.

Here's a trick. If you are OK with SD Network channels like ABC, CBS, etc. (So not locals, but networks), then tell Dish you are at the New York KOA and you can get the New York locals in SD nation wide. You'll get the major networks for your primetime shows but New York local news.

When traveling through/to different spot beams everyday, you won't need to update your service address everyday to get ABC, CBS, etc. You can still try to get HD locals over - the - air, but at least you'll get the major networks without constant updates to your service address.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish