Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #1

Exclamation Changing Winegard Dome to Winegard Traveler

2017 Fleetwood Bounder. It came with a Winegard Dome Roadtrip Mission satellite antenna. I already have it working with Directv but only SD quality is available with that antenna.

I'm going to remove the Roadtrip Mission dome antenna and install a new Winegard Traveler SWM Directv Sat antenna in it's place.

I haven't looked under the original Winegard Sat dish dome yet and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it uses the same "control cable" needed for the Winegard Traveler? The new Traveler antenna comes with a 30' long cable that has 6 wires with a small molex connector on the end. It's supposed to supply 21 volts from the "interface box" (inside the RV) to the Traveler antenna (on the roof). The new interface box will be installed in the entertainment cabinet in the bedroom.

Right now, there's two coax cables running from the "old" Sat dome antenna on the roof to the entertainment cabinet in the back bedroom. There's also a wall switch labelled "Satellite On/Off" on the cabinet wall. I'm hoping that there's a compatible control cable behind that wall switch. That would make things easier!

I'd hate to have to fish the 30' control cable (that came with the new Traveler Sat antenna) through to the entertainment cabinet in the bedroom if there's already a control cable I can take advantage of.

Has anyone converted from the Winegard Dome Sat antenna to the Winegard Traveler Sat antenna? If you've done it, and have any info (especially about the control cable) before I get on the roof, that would be really helpful.

Thanks,
David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Best to call Winegard there customer is great,
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I researched doing the same with our Allegro RED and found out the control cables are different. The Winegard mission control is nothing more than a two conductor power wire. You can use the coax cables, but you will have to run a new control cable. It doesn't have to go all the way to the bedroom, you could just put the control box in a cabinet up front near the current antenna. I had planned to put mine in a cabinet above the driver's seat, but have since ordered a new coach pre wired for the Travelr.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phochief View Post
2017 Fleetwood Bounder. It came with a Winegard Dome Roadtrip Mission satellite antenna. I already have it working with Directv but only SD quality is available with that antenna.

I'm going to remove the Roadtrip Mission dome antenna and install a new Winegard Traveler SWM Directv Sat antenna in it's place.

I haven't looked under the original Winegard Sat dish dome yet and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it uses the same "control cable" needed for the Winegard Traveler? The new Traveler antenna comes with a 30' long cable that has 6 wires with a small molex connector on the end. It's supposed to supply 21 volts from the "interface box" (inside the RV) to the Traveler antenna (on the roof). The new interface box will be installed in the entertainment cabinet in the bedroom.

Right now, there's two coax cables running from the "old" Sat dome antenna on the roof to the entertainment cabinet in the back bedroom. There's also a wall switch labelled "Satellite On/Off" on the cabinet wall. I'm hoping that there's a compatible control cable behind that wall switch. That would make things easier!

I'd hate to have to fish the 30' control cable (that came with the new Traveler Sat antenna) through to the entertainment cabinet in the bedroom if there's already a control cable I can take advantage of.

Has anyone converted from the Winegard Dome Sat antenna to the Winegard Traveler Sat antenna? If you've done it, and have any info (especially about the control cable) before I get on the roof, that would be really helpful.

Thanks,
David
David, private message me i have all of your answers
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

Looks like 2 wire for power only
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	155660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	155661  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	155662  
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
I haven't looked under the original Winegard Sat dish dome yet and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it uses the same "control cable" needed for the Winegard Traveler?
You'll have to run that new control cable to the Travler. If you try using the existing cable, you may damage the Travler and/or control box.

For a SWM Travler, you only need 1 coax (+ that control cable) connected to the Travler.

However, if the existing RoadTrip cable has enough wires, you could detach the existing Travler control cable from the Travler and wire the RoadTrip cable to it. Just keep track of wire colors. This wouldn't be my first option though.

On the other hand, since you already have 2 coax cables going to the RoadTrip, you may be able to use one of them to pull the new control cable into the RV.

Start by scraping off all that Dicor on the cable entry roof plate. Unscrew the plate, wedge it off your roof, then see if you can pull either coax cable from inside your RV.

If nothing moves, then I'd suggest using a hole saw to drill another cable entry point or wire up the existing control cable to the Travler.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I researched doing the same with our Allegro RED and found out the control cables are different. The Winegard mission control is nothing more than a two conductor power wire. You can use the coax cables, but you will have to run a new control cable. It doesn't have to go all the way to the bedroom, you could just put the control box in a cabinet up front near the current antenna. I had planned to put mine in a cabinet above the driver's seat, but have since ordered a new coach pre wired for the Travelr.
I thought about that possibility too and if I can't snake the control cable back to the bedroom I might consider it.

Thanks,
David
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
David, private message me i have all of your answers

PM sent....thanks!

David
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Looks like 2 wire for power only
I figured that would be the case. Was just hoping. Thanks for the info and photos which will help when I get on the roof.

David
Old 03-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 21 volts is supplied by a separate power supply inserter. It is not supplied by the Traveler control box.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You'll have to run that new control cable to the Travler. If you try using the existing cable, you may damage the Travler and/or control box.

For a SWM Travler, you only need 1 coax (+ that control cable) connected to the Travler.

However, if the existing RoadTrip cable has enough wires, you could detach the existing Travler control cable from the Travler and wire the RoadTrip cable to it. Just keep track of wire colors. This wouldn't be my first option though.

On the other hand, since you already have 2 coax cables going to the RoadTrip, you may be able to use one of them to pull the new control cable into the RV.

Start by scraping off all that Dicor on the cable entry roof plate. Unscrew the plate, wedge it off your roof, then see if you can pull either coax cable from inside your RV.

If nothing moves, then I'd suggest using a hole saw to drill another cable entry point or wire up the existing control cable to the Travler.
That was going to be my first choice too. I'll see if it feels like the second coax is loose enough to pull the control cable through to the bedroom. I'll probably include an extra string in case I ever need to pull something else through.

Otherwise, I either drill a hole for the control cable to mount the interface box up front. Or, I run the control cable along the roof and drill straight down into the bedroom cabinet. I wouldn't want to use nail-in cable clamps, so I wonder if there's a special kind of adhesive strip or covering that is made to hold down cable on an RV roof? I'll be using Dicor to weatherproof any holes.

Thanks,
David
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
The 21 volts is supplied by a separate power supply inserter. It is not supplied by the Traveler control box.
Ron....you're right. Thanks for the clarification.

David
Old 03-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
That was going to be my first choice too. I'll see if it feels like the second coax is loose enough to pull the control cable through to the bedroom. I'll probably include an extra string in case I ever need to pull something else through.

Otherwise, I either drill a hole for the control cable to mount the interface box up front. Or, I run the control cable along the roof and drill straight down into the bedroom cabinet. I wouldn't want to use nail-in cable clamps, so I wonder if there's a special kind of adhesive strip or covering that is made to hold down cable on an RV roof? I'll be using Dicor to weatherproof any holes.

Thanks,
David
Umm, not to be a negative Nellie but you're not going to be able to pull that through. There is a document you can request from Fleetwood. It's called an Entertainment Harness Overlay. I looked at mine from a '16. The satellite harness also has the coax for the front TV along with HDMI cables. They go along the roof to the R/S A pillar and down from there. Then through conduit to the rear sat location. It says it is 77' in length. Even if you could it just sounds like way too much effort.
I'd run it along the roof to the BR location and through. The plates is a few $ on Amazon. The cable should be UV stabilized. You can use Dicor to embed in the roof or exterior zip ties holders. I did the same for my solar, wifiranger and cell booster antenna cables.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
I wouldn't want to use nail-in cable clamps, so I wonder if there's a special kind of adhesive strip or covering that is made to hold down cable on an RV roof?
Eternabond tape
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel