RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Chassis batteries not being charged

OK, I have the Magnum MS2812 Inverter/Charger, Group 31 AGM Batteries, in the chassis, and the coach has the same AGM's. My coach batteries ARE being charged according to the Magnum's LED light, the Inverter Remote Control panel, and the One Place display center info. Coach batteries are being kept at about 13.3-13.5v. The Chassis batteries according to the One Place display center are at 11.9v. I checked the 3 circuit breakers on the side of the Magnum and they are NOT tripped. I've checked all wiring on the chassis batteries and all are tight with NO corrosion anyplace on any of the terminals. Where do I go from here?

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
On my Vectra, the charger was only wired to charge the coach batteries (I had a Sensata 2000 at the time). To manage the chassis batteries I had to add a trickle charger. Eventually replaced the trickle charger with a 100watt solar panel. Running the engine will also charge the chassis batteries. Guess what I'm saying is that what you describe sounds "normal" to me (though I confess I am not familiar with the Magnum's wiring). ...And became one of the reasons that I added solar to keep the chassis batteries topped-off. \ken

Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #3

I'm not sure what charge system your coach uses for maintaining the chassis batteries , but I you go to " Files " in the blue bar beside " User CP " then " Electrical " and look for info download, on the ' BIRD " charging system. To see if your coach is equipped with one.

EDIT: As Bumps, says your coach may not be equipped to charge both battery banks.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

Our coach does not have a built in maintainer.. I had no idea.. someone put me onto that.. I got a maintainer and hooked it up so it would handle both batteries. After 7 days it still had not shut off and there we an acid smell.. I replaced both batteries yesterday and hooked the maintainer back up.. This morning it is off and monitoring.. as it should.. batteries were 4.5 years old and toast or close to it. Holiday Rambler Endevour 2004
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #5

FWIW - given the number of cheap hand held Digital Multi Meters on the market I would get one and check that batteries directly. It's easy and a good backup to see if what you read is what you really have. Third or fourth on the sounds like you need a battery maintainer or to drive the unit often enough to keep the battery charged. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My Magnum Inverter/Charger DOES charge the chassis batteries, at least it has for the last 2 years. No I do no have a BIRD charging system, it's a MAGNUM. Yes I know the motor will charge the batteries, but who's going to start their unit once a month ALL winter to keep them charged. The system in MY coach WILL charge the chassis batteries unless there is a malfunction some place.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

My Magnum does not charge the chassis batteries. I do have a battery boost switch that will bring the house and chassis batteries together in the event the chassis batteries are dead. My wiring diagram clearly keeps the two banks separated. You need to check your wiring schematic to see how it is wired.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #8

Chassis batteries not being charged

Here is a link to your wiring diagram

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...0167481033.htm

Here is a link to your owners manual

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource.../12Journey.pdf
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

According to the Winnebago owners manual I was able to download for a 2012 Journey, you have a "trik-l-start" to maintain your chassis batteries....mentions nothing about the Magnum performing that function.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407689790.355156.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	623.0 KB
ID:	70406
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Double checked my manuals and yes I DO have the "Trik-L-Start" unit. Just got done looking at the wiring diagrams and could not see where this unit was installed in my coach. Any help in locating it and possible trouble shooting would help.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #11

Just a shot in the dark here; something to keep in mind when you do find the , Trik-l -start, read the spec's carefully to make sure the unit is capable of charging AGM batteries. I don't have AGMs , but somehow I remember some problems, being discussed, with low amp charging of them. I'll see if I can dig up the post. I've also seen a picture here in the forums of the Trik-l- start, I'll see what I can dig up there , too.
EDIT: Found similar posts and this web site.
http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

Gives a picture and specs.
The FAQ , states that they will work with AGM's

Tags
batteries, chassis