Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
BTW, when your Tom Tom shows you off the side of the road, you've probably lost the satellite signal and the unit is "winging" it. There is usually a display element that shows the satellite lock. When you're cruising through people's yards to the right of the road, take a look at that indicator. You may want to try moving the location of the Tom Tom to see if you get a more consistent signal. Oh and the iPhone/iPad gets a better satellite lock than my old Nuvi ever did.
Thanx for the suggestion, I will try and move the GPS. Although I should have put this in the original post as well, for instance one area the GPS goes wonky is on Hwy22 in Alberta, Canada. This Hwy runs North/South and basically parallels the major #2 Hwy in AB. This is mostly flat prairie land, so I do not think loss of signal is at all an issue. Now traveling this Hwy from say Calgary area to Edmonton Area the icon is off of Hwy22 for about 75% of this drive (350km or so). I know this road very well as I grew up in Calgary and traveled this road often for work and pleasure, there are probably about 3 areas along this road that I can remember they have changed a bit over the years so the icon being off the road does not bother me there, however as for the rest of the road I can't figure it out. As i said there are no mountains, trees etc. it's mostly flat. I don't know if my GPS is wonky or it's TomTom? and it's not just there, some areas in BC (maybe it's the mountains, but for the most part I will get cell service where the icon goes ballistic so), some places in the US (again fairly flat, no significant topography). So that's the reason why I would like to make a switch.

Now the Ipad thing has me very intrigued. That is just an app. for that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I have a Tom Tom 920, and have not seen any of these problems. Did you connect your TomTom to the computer lately to get a software update? This might take care of your problem.
Yes I do connect it to my pc usually about once a week.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul
Now the Ipad thing has me very intrigued. That is just an app. for that?
Yes. The app for the iPad is "CoPilot Live HD North America". It's just $29.95. You do need the iPad 3G. You don't have to have an active 3G data plan. It's just that the 3G version is the only one that's got the GPS hardware in it. I love it.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #18

Look into the Garmin Street Pilot 7200 a discontinued model but still available. It works as back-up camera/DVD display. Has XM radio with traffic, stock quotes and weather-a 7" screen and can be controlled with a remote. Garmin can be programmed for user prefernces. Don't use shortest distance as it will take you off an off-ramp and back on the on ramp if the distance is shorter. Life time map updates are availble for about $90.
Coachmanjay
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #19

Some of the "truckers" units do not have the POI's built-in for autos and RV's. They are built for work instead of play.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Some of the "truckers" units do not have the POI's built-in for autos and RV's. They are built for work instead of play.
Thanx Ray. I didn't know about that.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I have the Garmin Nuvi750 which I use in the RV and the car and it works great.

It took me to Alaska and back home with only one mistake. That was because I had downloaded a list of Wal-marts and someone put in the wrong directions.

One thing I really like about the Garmin is that it has voice directions which means you don't have to look at the map. It also indicates speed limit and your speed plus it can record the mileage on a particular trip.

You can also go to different sites to update POI's such as Wal-marts, Flying J locations, etc.

The 750 is obsoltete now but I will still use it as I am comfortable with it.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the Garmin Nuvi 350, works fine (you can recalibrate it if you find the vehicle off track) still keep your eyes open for low bridges and narrow roads that are not friendly to RV's
Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You may want to take a look at the TomTom XXL540TM. It has a 5" screen and lifetime traffic with free quarterly map updates. Mine works perfectly. Just add your own custom POI's like "Low Clearances" and it's a decent RV unit. I got mine at Vann's Electronics for $149.
I also use the TomTom XXL540TM and like it quite a bit. I have used 3 other TomTom models and this one beats them all. The 5-inch display is bright and easy to read with these old eyes.

I also use Co-Pilot Live v8 for the laptop. I'm still getting used to it and the jury is still out.

Thinking it would be an upgrade, I bought the TomTom XXL550TM. (higher model # = better, right?) It is an absolute disaster! It is a dumbed-down version of the 540 and lacks many of the features of its predecessor unless you apply hacks posted on the net. Even then it is a loser, and many owners have said the same to TomTom. Stay away from it. The 540 is still available and is usually cheaper.

For you Nuvi users - I am not suggesting the TomTom is any better than the Garmin. I think it is just what you get used to and can use comfortably, which I have become with my TomToms.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #24

For all of you wondering, yes I have updated my TomTom on a regular basis (that is connecting it to pc). The areas where it goes wonky (which have also been in mountainous or heavy treed regions and hey I'm ok with that) it's just when I'm going down a bald ass prairie that I think hey it should not do that. It will show my "icon" off the road by a substantial amount, it does not track the road! I know for sure that the road has not moved in several places for ever and there are some places that I know this flat road has moved within the last 10 years or so. How long do GPS updates take? Really my TomTom 720 does not track as I think it should. There has been no differential within a city but on the major highways and secondary highways I do have an issue. Does this help explain or change your views on anything?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Slocan, hit your closest CTC store. They have the (ISTR) Magellan 1435 on sale for $79.99 and it is the newer version of the unit my wife has in her van and it works really well. It doesn't have the off the road issue that your Tom-Tom does.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Magellan RoadMate 1700 here you can purchase refurbished off ebay for about 120.00 7 inch screen. And if you really find you need the rv/trucker maps you can buy the upgrade.
gresults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #27

Have had several GPS's over the years but now use the Verizon Navigator on the phones when not in the rig and Microsoft Streets & Trips on a large laptop when in the rig. Nothing like a nice big screen to see what's ahead. Easier for the co-pilot to use and the pilot to also see at the same time.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Slocan, hit your closest CTC store. They have the (ISTR) Magellan 1435 on sale for $79.99 and it is the newer version of the unit my wife has in her van and it works really well. It doesn't have the off the road issue that your Tom-Tom does.

Thanx Possum, I'll check that one out.