Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Choice Of GPS

Ok, I know everyone has a favourite GPS system. We currently have a TomTom 720, this has been our first one and we are considering purchasing a new GPS of some sort. There are things that I don't like about the TomTom 720, in particular sometimes when traveling the icon used for the vehicle tracking will track off to the side of the road and every now and then it tracks back on the road. Any ideas what this is about as these are major roads that I'm pretty sure have not moved since the satellites were put in orbit? Does anyone have experience with Garmin or Magellan type GPS that you could let us know good, bad, or otherwise? I see Magellan has some 7" screens out there, any thoughts on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I prefer the Garmin 255 but it has been around a while and is likely not as up to date as many. The features I like on the 255 are good map display, displays the speed limit on the map page for US rds and main throroghfares in town and it also displays your speed.
There are trucker type GPS systems that will display tunnel heights and lots of other good info for larger RVs.
There are dozens of good systems out there and as many opinions.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We have two Magellan GPS units and a laptop with a GPS receiver we can mount on the roof of our motorhome. The only one that doesn't sometimes track off road is the laptop as it is out of the shadow of the MH.

Even the laptop reads cockamamie when we are traveling in very steep terrain or through very high and dense vegetation. Crowsnest Highway, the Cathedral grove area and some places in norther WA and all over BC have these shadow effects where your GPS can't find enough satellites to triangulate properly.

Of course YMMV.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

Had a few Garmin Nuvi's and have loved them. Most now come with free traffic, route planning with multi stops and map updates. Also tons of POI's (points of interest) you can add to them. Not sure what your budget is, but they have recently introduced truck specific models. You can input thr size of your rig And it will safely route you by avoiding low bridges, hazmat restrictions ( propane) etc. They run $4-500.
leenchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

You may want to take a look at the TomTom XXL540TM. It has a 5" screen and lifetime traffic with free quarterly map updates. Mine works perfectly. Just add your own custom POI's like "Low Clearances" and it's a decent RV unit. I got mine at Vann's Electronics for $149.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought Garmin Nuvi 1320 last fall. It was quite accurate with directions,speed, distance, poi's. I thought it was around $250 with 4 free updates per year. Use it in the MH and then take it with us in the toad.

08 Holiday Rambler, 06 Jeep Wrangler rubicon,00 Harley Ultra
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
There are trucker type GPS systems that will display tunnel heights and lots of other good info for larger RVs.
So that's the deal with the "trucker type". Good to know.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased the Garmin Nuvi 465T Truckers GPS and I won't leave home without it either in my car or my coach.

I have used it going from CA to Alaska and back. Now we are en-route to Florida with many side trips and it has been invaluable.

However, you do have to know that sometimes you have to ignore your travel adviser and go with known good roads as the GPS always will direct you the most direct and quickest route, not necessarily the smartest, especially when you are 72 feet long as I am.

The latest RV park we stayed in very near to Downtown San Antonio remarked that we should NOT follow what the GPS said and follow the direction in the Trailer Life RV Park Guide. Boy were they right. The GPS would have had us on a lot of residential streets instead of main roads making the trip so much easier.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul View Post
There are things that I don't like about the TomTom 720, in particular sometimes when traveling the icon used for the vehicle tracking will track off to the side of the road and every now and then it tracks back on the road.
I have a Tom Tom 920, and have not seen any of these problems. Did you connect your TomTom to the computer lately to get a software update? This might take care of your problem.

However, I might also buy a different unit because of the trucker routing. I contacted Tom Tom about it, and they told me that they have no plans to make this kind of software available.
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #10

Garmin 1450

Just got a Garmin 1450 for Christmas. I wanted a Garmin because I have one in my coach (built in) and figured the "look and feel" would be similar and it was. I paid about $120 at Amazon. It has a 5" screen, voice and lane position plus a few more features that my coach GPS doesn't have. I didn't get map updates as I figure the technology will change by the time I need new maps.

A great value!

Dave
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I received Magellan 1700 with 7" screen for Christmas and have used twice and well satisfied, The dash mount makes it more viewable for the scale of RV dash. Amazon gives you a great selection, information, and reviews. Good luck.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul View Post
Ok, I know everyone has a favourite GPS system. We currently have a TomTom 720, this has been our first one and we are considering purchasing a new GPS of some sort. There are things that I don't like about the TomTom 720, in particular sometimes when traveling the icon used for the vehicle tracking will track off to the side of the road and every now and then it tracks back on the road. Any ideas what this is about as these are major roads that I'm pretty sure have not moved since the satellites were put in orbit? Does anyone have experience with Garmin or Magellan type GPS that you could let us know good, bad, or otherwise? I see Magellan has some 7" screens out there, any thoughts on this?
If you've got an iPhone or an iPad, there is a great app called "CoPilot Live". It's only $4.99 for the iPhone USA version and $29.99 for the iPad North American version. It's even better than the expensive factory GPS's in my BMW and JEEP and WAY better that the old Garmin Nuvi we used to use in the RV. It's got an RV specific setting in addition to Auto, Bicycle, Motorcycle and walking). They also sell a Truck specific version which is very expensive at $149. I don't think an RVer would need 99% of the added features in that version. Map updates are free and frequent on all versions.

I just recently switched from using the iPhone to the iPad (you have to have the 3G version) in the RV with a RAM Systems mount. It's fantastic. Great maps, awesome 9.7" display and it's very easy to read.

BTW, when your Tom Tom shows you off the side of the road, you've probably lost the satellite signal and the unit is "winging" it. There is usually a display element that shows the satellite lock. When you're cruising through people's yards to the right of the road, take a look at that indicator. You may want to try moving the location of the Tom Tom to see if you get a more consistent signal. Oh and the iPhone/iPad gets a better satellite lock than my old Nuvi ever did.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
One note about the Garmins that we have (Nuvi and 255) I have never known them to track off road except where new roads have been built then they will try to follow a known rd for a couple hundred yards but will then track with you.

The map updates are very important.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I can see from the previous posts, I'll be in the minority here, but here goes anyway. I just upgraded my GPS from an older Pioneer unit to a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT (AVIC-Z120BT - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth and 7" Widescreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA ). The reason I got this unit is:
1. built in the dash unit
2. 7" screen
3. screen display that will knock your socks off
4. learn feature. If you go the same route more than once, it will learn your preferences and provide that route
5. updates are on an SD card
6. will double as a backup camera display
7. XM/Sirius radio ready
8. plays CD's, DVDs
9. lat/long entry to destination
10. has more whistles and bells than I have time to type

I'm not a fan of the truck route GPS units. Many times I do not want the truck route. My coach is to get me from CG "A" to CG "B" over main roads. I go exciting touristy places in the toad.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote