Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Choices for internet access

OK, I've searched and read and searched and read some more. We're going to be traveling quite a bit this summer and need internet access beyond what we can pick up on the fly; we can't always stop at Starbucks to check the email and the wifi repeater helps, but isn't a complete solution. An aircard for a single computer isn't going to work because we have multiple devices, and an RV-specific wifi network that includes a networked printer and a Time Capsule for backup and, if we can figure out how, internet connectivity. What would be really slick would be something that we could connect the Time Capsule to for access on the fly; I'm wondering if the Mifi might do the job, or if anybody has other ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

The MiFi will provide up to 5 WiFi clients an interface to the cell network and it is a very handy device.

The hardcore fulltimers appear to prefer using a router that supports a cell modem (usually via a USB port). That allows an external antenna, more user wifi connections, and more configuration options. Cradlepoint devices seem quite popular.

It does appear that the cell phone network is the current popular choice for I'net access on the road. The problem is that it is changing rapidly and tends to be rather sparse in some areas depending upon the vendor. These changes mean that the plans and price points versus data throughput are changing rapidly and that means it can be difficult to figure out the best coverage and plan and provider for your needs.

Some websites to help on this question include Telecommunication and Mobile broadband service - Wireless Industry, Wireless Technology, Wireless Companies - FierceWireless - HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - and DSLReports Home : Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums

then there's satellite, WiMax, WiFi hotspots, and the 3G to 4G growing pains. so much going on ...
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi SAMCUDNEY,
Consider AutoNet. Go to It?s what your car has been waiting for. ? Autonet Mobile I have this in my coach. The Gkids use it. All I need it for is email and iRV2. I put an external antenna on the unit and it works while in motion and when at the CG. The unit works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Early this month I picked up the Verizon MIFI 2200. It is going to cost about $35 a month for two years (yes, a contract) for 3 gigabites (?) ofmonthly data. I wanted to be able to have internet access as we travel and often it seems we were at a place that did not have WiFi available. This was recommended by other RV'rs in a park we were visiting in SE Arizona. It will handle five devices. Most cell phones including verizon do not work where I live so I was surprised and pleased that the MIFI signal does work at home.

Verizon also sells a monthly device/program but it is use or lose and if you go without using it there is a $25 reconnect fee and if I remember correctly it was about $40 a month. I'd suggest you check out Verizon to see if it will meet your needs.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting subject.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #6

Gary,

Who is the provider for the cellular service to AutoNet? I have looked at this but is unclear as to whose cell network (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile) this is on
Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Harry B,
Verizon is the provider of service for AutoNet.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #8

Thanks Gary. I wish I had brought this up before on this forum. Would have saved me some time.

Have you heard at all if Autonet is going to bring out a version that works wirh both CDMA 3G and LTE?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Harry B,
Nope, since I retired I went brain dead. I look for products that satisfy my needs. Sometimes it takes a while as I do not buy unless the item works the way I want it too. What is under the covers or the high level marketing brochure is something I do not get into.

All I can tell you is the AutoNet "black box" is permanently mounted in a closet at the rear of the coach. I turn it on when we start a trip and turn it off when we return to the stick house. So far it has been just like a toaster. Set it and forget it.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi Gary
thanks for pointing me in the direction of this
it look like the solution we have been looking for
regards, pdq
Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We use Verizon plugged into a cradlepoint router that we boost with an external antenna and amp. The setup has worked very well on our cross country travel (check my blog if you want to see more details).

If I were starting from scratch today the only thing I'd change is that I would sign up with Millenicom instead of Verizon. Millenicom offer a 20G/mo no contract deal that uses the Verizon network. Our current 5G/mo deal with Verizon is a bit limiting and I could definitely go for the bigger usage. The Millenicom modem can be plugged into a router and boosted similar to our current setup.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #12

I have a CradlePoint Router, it accepts multiple USB modems, plus ExpressCard and PC Card and hard wired. You can connect with hard wire or via WiFi.

For a printer I have a Brother HL-2270DW printer. It is about $150, a B&W laser with hardwired and wireless networking. Plus it is duplex. It is small enough that I can keep it in te bedroom where is out of the way and secure while driving.
puddinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #13

We got the Verizon 5 gig plan. We got ours through Wirefly.com and we got a 4G modem for free. So far everything works great and we like the plan.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
I too use a Cradlepoint Router and a Verizon Wireless USB Modem. Has been working fine for over a ear now. Gonna update the SW this summer for 4G and get the 4G USB modem.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote