RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Coax Cable or Coax Cable Adapter for WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV

Hi, I installed the WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV in our travel trailer recently. I hard-wired into the TT, the 20 ft cable that goes from the Booster to the Outside Omni Antenna. Now I want another cable, shorter is fine, like 10 ft, so that I could take the booster in our truck if desired and use it there. The end of the cable that attaches to the Exterior Omni Antenna is a standard coax connection. But the other end that screws onto the booster is a smaller version of a coax connection. So I can't use a standard coax cable. That smaller coax-type connection is the same connection on the opposite end of the booster for the Interior Antenna cable.

I searched on Wilson Electronics website and couldn't find a cable with the correct ends, also Amazon. So I called up Wilson Electronics and spoke to a rep there for a while. He didn't seem to know much, but spent some time looking it all up. He gave me a part # and suggested I might find it on Amazon. But while he is talking I searched that part # there and no results. He then told me that they didn't have any to sell, not even the regular 20' cable that comes in the kit!!

In the pic below, you can see the smaller female coax-type connection on the WeBoost booster for the External Antenna cable. And you can see the end of a regular coax cable next to it. Does anyone know where I can get a coax cable with one standard end and the other end the smaller coax connection? Or, the specific name of the type of coax adapter that I need, as in for example, "x coax to y coax ??", so that I could then use a standard coax cable. If I knew the correct name for the adapter connection I need, perhaps I could find it online.

Any help would be much appreciated!

webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

The connector in the picture is called an "F connector".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_conn...59%2FU%20cable.

Very common. You can get the ends and cut/ crimp tools at Homedepot et al.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

I think what you are asking is for an "F" to "S" connector..
Be carefule though, Weboost is 59 ohm sometimes, coax is 75 ohm.
Shadowrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

"SMA", not S...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
I think what you are asking is for an "F" to "S" connector..
Be carefule though, Weboost is 59 ohm sometimes, coax is 75 ohm.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #5

Thanks, All. With your description of the connection I need, I was able to find the fitting on ebay and have ordered one.

So Shadowrip, are you saying that using a regular coax cable may not work for this application?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
Thanks, All. With your description of the connection I need, I was able to find the fitting on ebay and have ordered one.

So Shadowrip, are you saying that using a regular coax cable may not work for this application?
I remember with mine I almost mixed 75 ohm with 50 ohm and had to look at both the antenna and the extension coax. I've got weboost on my house and rv, so not sure which is which without going to look. Check your model number on the website, and it will tell you what you have, then match it with the extension cable.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

The booster won’t work without the exterior antenna, so if you mounted it to your TT roof, just taking the booster and the indoor antenna in your truck won’t boost a signal.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
The booster won’t work without the exterior antenna, so if you mounted it to your TT roof, just taking the booster and the indoor antenna in your truck won’t boost a signal.
The Exterior Antenna is not permanently mounted. All parts of the system are very easily removable except for the exterior antenna cable.

Here is my WeBoost Antenna Installation. I routed the Outdoor Antenna cable through the back of a kitchen pantry cabinet (rear kitchen), then installed a 3" diameter hatch door as can be seen in the pic. I built a shelf in the back of the very deep kitchen pantry cabinet where the cable coils up and lays when it is pushed back into the TT.

When we set up to camp, if I need signal boost, I pull out my extendable painter pole, which I have set up with PVC fittings so that I just screw the WeBoost antenna onto the top of the painter pole, pull the cable out of the hatch, and mount it in the flagpole holder permanently mounted to the rear bumper. I use a few velcro tyes to secure the cable to the pole.

This gives me 11' of extension above the top of the rear bumper for the antenna, plus 2.5 ft off the ground for almost 14' of height for the antenna. It works great and it only takes a couple of minutes to set up the exterior antenna.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
The Exterior Antenna is not permanently mounted. All parts of the system are very easily removable except for the exterior antenna cable.

Here is my WeBoost Antenna Installation. I routed the Outdoor Antenna cable through the back of a kitchen pantry cabinet (rear kitchen), then installed a 3" diameter hatch door as can be seen in the pic. I built a shelf in the back of the very deep kitchen pantry cabinet where the cable coils up and lays when it is pushed back into the TT.

When we set up to camp, if I need signal boost, I pull out my extendable painter pole, which I have set up with PVC fittings so that I just screw the WeBoost antenna onto the top of the painter pole, pull the cable out of the hatch, and mount it in the flagpole holder permanently mounted to the rear bumper. I use a few velcro tyes to secure the cable to the pole.

This gives me 11' of extension above the top of the rear bumper for the antenna, plus 2.5 ft off the ground for almost 14' of height for the antenna. It works great and it only takes a couple of minutes to set up the exterior antenna.

Gotcha. Just wanted to let you know the exterior antenna would need to go with you as well.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Gotcha. Just wanted to let you know the exterior antenna would need to go with you as well.
I would never expect it to work without the external antenna.

Tags
ada, cable