RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Coax question

Eventually, if the rain and cold get outta here, I'm going to be installing a cell phone booster. It will hopefully have the external antenna mounted on the rear ladder. My question is related to the coax. The booster (which is a 4G-S by WeBoost) requires a 50 ohm cable. It came with RG174 cable attached to their mini magnetic antenna. RG174 isn't good for long runs. I have located a coax supplier that can make me a low loss coax assembly (200 series coax) with the correct connectors I need (N and SMA).

Now, here's the interesting question. On the roof of the RV is a plate for a satellite dish connection. Under that plate is a cable headed into the RV's front cabinets. That cable I believe is a 75 ohm cable. The run is short, I'd say no more than 5 feet. To avoid all kinds of disasters trying to get the cable in, math aside, how much signal would I lose if I connected the 50 antenna cable to the 75 ohm cable?

My only other option is to hook the two together and attempt to pull them into the RV. It appears to be a straight run in but you never know how they actually ran it. I was even thinking of pulling a short run of 50 ohm in and then attach the new antenna cable to it. There are many adapters available to connect all kinds of coax connectors.

I have read some of the ham radio forums and this is debated a lot. Some say if it's a short run the signal loss will be minimal, others say it shouldn't be done.

What do you think?

Thanks

Fred

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #2

50' of RG-174 will cut your power in half. Cable specs show a 32 dB loss / 100' @ 1000 MHz. There are some Winegard coax entrance plate on ebay that you could use to cover a side wall or roof entrance near the center of the MH so that the booster is closer to the antenna.
The problem with the coax mis-match is the frequency. The higher the frequency the greater the loss. At ham frequencies the loss is negligible. That coax only has a an 8 dB loss at 100 MHz so you can see how critical the frequency becomes.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
How long will the low loss cable run be? Connecting to the 75ohm cable would negate any gain from the low loss cable and then some. The multiple connectors and adapters will have a lot of loss. I would locate the booster where the cable run would only be about 5', otherwise you would probably be better off without the booster. Every 3dB loss is cutting the signal in half.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used the same antenna, but I was abke to mount it close enough that I used the cable that came with it so no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
50' of RG-174 will cut your power in half. Cable specs show a 32 dB loss / 100' @ 1000 MHz. There are some Winegard coax entrance plate on ebay that you could use to cover a side wall or roof entrance near the center of the MH so that the booster is closer to the antenna.
The problem with the coax mis-match is the frequency. The higher the frequency the greater the loss. At ham frequencies the loss is negligible. That coax only has a an 8 dB loss at 100 MHz so you can see how critical the frequency becomes.
Mounting the antenna can be done anywhere on the roof. I was hoping to use the rear ladder to make mounting easier. My only concern with mounting on the roof is it being tall enough to pull the signal in and not be so tall that it hits something while driving. I could mount it right next to the satellite entry plate and then the cable run to the amp would be about 7 feet. At that short a run I should be able to use the 75 ohm without much loss?

I'm hoping that the cable under the plate can be pulled out and the new in at the same time. As I have discovered before you never know how they put these lines in.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
How long will the low loss cable run be? Connecting to the 75ohm cable would negate any gain from the low loss cable and then some. The multiple connectors and adapters will have a lot of loss. I would locate the booster where the cable run would only be about 5', otherwise you would probably be better off without the booster. Every 3dB loss is cutting the signal in half.
The run could be as long as 40 feet. I think I can keep the run around 5 to 7 feet if I mount it to the roof right next to the entry plate. Hopefully I can pull the 75 ohm out and pull the 50 in at the same time.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a video of what I'm using and attempting to do. They used a directional antenna and I'm going to use an omnidirectional antenna.