Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Concerning Satellite TV on our coach

I need some help or direction on where to start.

When we bought our coach we saw it was satellite capable. It has I believe to be a kvh dome on top, it is not the type that will track while moving, only stationary. In the compartment not far from the tv is a Hughes satellite controller. This is where I need help. The previous owner knew nothing about it since he never watched tv.
Does the Hughes controller also receive the signal and convert or do we also need a direct tv receiver to hook up to watch satellite? to add difficulty to this the coach also has the original sony dvd/cd player that appears to have the tv surround running through it. I see no room to also place another receiver in there.

Anyway, I guess first things first...can anyone help with the Hughes on how it operates- does it just locate the signal or does it locate and decode ?

Our coach is a 2005 beaver Monterey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvoorhees View Post
I need some help or direction on where to start.

When we bought our coach we saw it was satellite capable. It has I believe to be a kvh dome on top, it is not the type that will track while moving, only stationary. In the compartment not far from the tv is a Hughes satellite controller. This is where I need help. The previous owner knew nothing about it since he never watched tv.

Does the Hughes controller also receive the signal and convert or do we also need a direct tv receiver to hook up to watch satellite? to add difficulty to this the coach also has the original sony dvd/cd player that appears to have the tv surround running through it. I see no room to also place another receiver in there.

Anyway, I guess first things first...can anyone help with the Hughes on how it operates- does it just locate the signal or does it locate and decode ?

Our coach is a 2005 beaver Monterey

You'll still need a satellite receiver (DIRECTV, Dish) to interface between the signal being captured by the Hughes/KVH dish and your TV. I don't know anything specific about the system you have, other than the dish (dome) is what automatically picks up the sat signal.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
My first coach was a 2006 Monaco that came with a KVH dome and it had a MotoSat Dish. This was in 2008. Both receivers were relatively high dollar at the time. Both were also obsolete after just a couple of years.

I don’t know the age of the gear you are describing, but if the guy you bought this 2005 Beaver from didn’t have it installed it’s probably got some miles on it. Sat technology has come a long way from where it was when that gear was installed and I’m guessing you will find that starting over with new gear will work better for you in the long run. I’m now on my third coach and just bought my third dish and each one works better than it’s predecessor. And yes, you do need a receiver box too. There is lots of detail on this forum that addresses this subject. Some search’s should help answer a lot of your questions.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

My setup has a KVH that works fine using DTV "Basic" boxes. Dish or any HDTV will not boxes are not recognized and can't operate the unit.
System is very reliable only if kept with the basic DTV units. Dual LNB.
I found a local KVH dealer that came out and set mine up. Lookup their auth dealer network. They service the Marine industry so there are many units out there.
Daytonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman View Post
My setup has a KVH that works fine using DTV "Basic" boxes. Dish or any HDTV will not boxes are not recognized and can't operate the unit.
System is very reliable only if kept with the basic DTV units. Dual LNB.
I found a local KVH dealer that came out and set mine up. Lookup their auth dealer network. They service the Marine industry so there are many units out there.

Good piece of advice. If your not familiar with a satellite system, locate a dealer and have it set up right. You can spend a lot of money and get plenty of headaches trying to maneuver through all this stuff.

Personally, if I were to buy a new set up or even update my existing Winegard Traveler, I would talk to an RF Mogul dealer first. They seem to know their stuf and actually have a good reputation for aftermarket customer service. I know, that sounds strange.

https://rfmogul.com

Tags
satellite, satellite tv