Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2017, 04:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
I'm using usb tethering on the mobley to my Pepwave surf SoHo.

The Soho has gigE ethernet and 802.11AC wifi.

Both the Mobley and Surf Soho run on 12v adapters off the primary battery system, so are always live.

I also have a weboost RV system, also running off 12v when I need it, though I'm not super pleased with the Mobley antenna situation. I plan on cracking it open and using its MIMO antenna ports on it eventually.

We use ~240GB on a heavy month with this setup, no issues.
Did you have any difficulty setting up the pepwave router to accept the Mobley USB connection? Perhaps a step by step would help some who will go this route.

Have you been happy with the weboost? I got one at the Hershey RV show in September but haven't used it yet.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
To go above 5 devices on the ZTE Mobley you add a small router behind it. I use the Netgear R6700. It like most small routers requires wired Ethernet for it's WAN port.

So, you need to convert the wireless Ethernet from the ZTE Mobley into a wired Ethernet signal. The solution I use to do this is to use a Netgear WN2500RP Universal WiFi Range Extender. ....
That seems like a lot of trouble and expense to increase the number of connected devices and range of the Mobley. I don't have enough knowledge to do that anyway. Glad it works for you.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #17

Mr Gray, You work from your rig and need to be connected, I get it. I knew I'd get flamed!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
That seems like a lot of trouble and expense to increase the number of connected devices and range of the Mobley. I don't have enough knowledge to do that anyway. Glad it works for you.
I just figured out how to use what I already had with the Mobley, so I could use it at home and get rid of my $ 69 per month Cable TV provider based internet at my home. I only use this setup at when home, not when traveling in my RV. As a single RVer 5 connected devices is plenty in the RV. Slightly over 5 at the sticks and bricks house.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
So you gave up the $20 unlimited Mobley plan???
No, the Connected Car Plan is on the sim card not the Mobley. I simply removed the sim card from the Mobley and installed it in the Unite Explore MiFi device.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
No, the Connected Car Plan is on the sim card not the Mobley. I simply removed the sim card from the Mobley and installed it in the Unite Explore MiFi device.

That’s good info to know. Other than more devices capability did you observe any other improvements? I have a Mobley on the AT&T $20 plan.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
That’s good info to know. Other than more devices capability did you observe any other improvements? I have a Mobley on the AT&T $20 plan.
It's kind of hard to tell for sure, but I believe I'm getting faster speeds which I assume is because the Unite Explore has a better antenna than the Mobley. I can also see the settings and data usage on the device rather than through a browser.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Mr Gray, You work from your rig and need to be connected, I get it. I knew I'd get flamed!
I understood what you meant. I just retired. Still have things I want to do, but also things to relax.

My work was being connected everyday, I don't want to do that all the time, but at the same time if I decide to have a small business for some extra kicking around money I probably want to stay current.

Another side effort I also know there are more home/roadschoolers out there thsn ever. I am glad the technology is prevalent to aid them and make things better for some of these kids. Like Mike Rowe I believe the young people need differing levels of education based on their aptitude. However, I also know that generations like mine that helped build technology platforms for my coworkers and my children to have at all levels, have also set that stage as well.

The future is now if it is embraced accordingly. That is not an expectation for a receiving line but rather an opportunity to take what is sitting at the table and invest effort into it to make it better for the next generations. Those that do will realize the rewards.
Bigbro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #23

Quote:
It's kind of hard to tell for sure, but I believe I'm getting faster speeds which I assume is because the Unite Explore has a better antenna than the Mobley. I can also see the settings and data usage on the device rather than through a browser.

Thank you. That makes sense.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #24

Quote:
The Unite Explore has several features that have the potential to provide higher speeds than the Mobley:

1. The UE supports LTE Band 29/30 (used for additional capacity in high density areas.) The Mobley and many older units do not.

2. The UE supports 3X Carrier Aggregation (meaning it can use multiple LTE bands at the same time to increase speed.)

3. The UE will supports an external antenna (not always needed, but will usually greatly increase speed when it is.)

4. The UE can provide higher throughput when USB tethering (supports MBIM interface instead of PPP.)

Will these advantages always add up to a higher speeds? No, not necessarily, it depends on local conditions and network support. But when things do line up the UE can potentially provide 2-3X the speed of a Mobley. Truth be told if you're just web surfing and checking email then you probably won't really see all that much a difference between 10 mbps and 30 mbps, but just FWIW.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #25

I'll be honest. I've never seen speeds much over 15mbps on the Mobley. Most of the time I'm in the 5-7. If this is true of the UE, I should be ordering one soon.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #26

I just saw 60 mbps out of my UE earlier this afternoon. I didn't try the Mobley so I don't know what it would have done in the same location but I'm guessing... not 60 mbps

To be fair to the Mobley I was right under a tower so it probably would have done well also, I expect at least 20-30 mbps, and unless you're downloading very large files or something there won't be any perceived difference between 20-30 mbps and 60 so I doubt there would be any meaningful advantage for most. But if you like to see high Speedtest readings for their own sake then the advantage is clear.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I'll be honest. I've never seen speeds much over 15mbps on the Mobley. Most of the time I'm in the 5-7. If this is true of the UE, I should be ordering one soon.

I typically see speeds of 12 - 15 with Mobley alone.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #28

I got burned moving SIMs on Verizon with my grandfathered UDP. AT&T has not made a big deal of it yet, but I'm not willing to risk it. $20/m is too damn good....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote