Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Consider a Nintendo Wii

Since I found no Posting on this subject on the forum(s)..........I offer this FYI.

Nintendo's Wii and Netflix have teamed up to offer streaming instant movies.
If you have yet to install a Satellite System, this might be a good, relatively inexpensive and entertaining substitute. Since I wasn't using the Wii in the house, I decided to install it in the Coach............"for those times". Not long ago, I was notified via my Netflix subscription that I could download streaming video through my Wii ................cool

I tried it out a couple weeks ago in an RV resort on the Oregon Coast............65 mph winds, rain, thunder, lightening and it worked flawlessly. Just need a decent WiFi connection. Our laptop kept losing connection, but not the movies Over the 3 days on the beach, I watched at least 6 movies (couldn't leave the coach)....and none failed. Good video quality and unlimited movies! So..................

$249 for the Wii and $8.99 a mo. for the Netflix subscription. Easy connection to back of TV Hmmm..........Hey! I'm pretty good at this advertising stuff! ..........maybe I should come out of retirement! (not)

Anyway, don't mean to be presumptuous ......but just in case some weren't aware.
Jpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

I still need to ask "what is a Wii" ??
I've been a computer geek since they came out, and have never, ever, had time for games or the toys to make games.

I ought to google the darn things, but I'm too lazy.

Does sound like it is a lot cheaper than my DirecTV subscription though.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #3

We do that with the PS3 system. The price has gone up a dollar a month which gives you unlimited streaming movies and one DVD a month. Our free trial ends Dec 22nd and we go to the 7.99 a month which is unlimited streaming and no DVDs.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #4

Internet Media Players

There are many ways to skin this cat:
Internet media players: What should you buy? - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - HDTV - msnbc.com

Another $$$ solution is to convert a Mac Mini into a media center by running Plex - A Complete Media Solution software on it.

Now all you need is a WiFi connection that allows hefty downloading.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
I still need to ask "what is a Wii" ??
I've been a computer geek since they came out, and have never, ever, had time for games or the toys to make games.

I ought to google the darn things, but I'm too lazy.

Does sound like it is a lot cheaper than my DirecTV subscription though.
It's understandable John. Wii is a game console which hooks to your TV and can also link to wireless networks for internet access. The quality of the games they produce these days are truely amazing. I used to be a pretty good golfer and find that some of the games available are so realistic that they can suck me in for hours at a time.... or until DW yells at me.

The Netflix discussion here is a cool feature of the Wii but don't confuse it with a substitute for your DirecTv subscription.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I would think that the download of Netflix streaming movies on a campground WIFI system would overburden the system eventually?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Well........oops :( Evidently I posted my Wii FYI in the wrong place......as it was moved to here...(wherever "here" is??) My bad :(........and I'm notably embarrassed (as usual) :( Just not good at navigating/searching/posting on IRV2 yet. Anyway..................

Guess the word "is" out on the Wii and Netflix Thanks Rick for answering John's question Nice 1500 John......... I ride/tow an 1800

Speaking of "golf", Rick..............assume you're familiar with WGT? If not, WGT.com.
Quite amazing

Thanks;
Pat
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Right Dean, thats what I would have assumed also. But in this case, it worked even when the laptop kept losing connection. However, since I'm always watching Netflix on my home wireless computer, figured I'd give the Wii try in the RV.......and it worked Maybe the Wii has a bigger, better receiver system than the laptop(?) I certainly don't expect it to always work............but when it doesn't, there's always the Wii games themselves
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #9

Not only can you download movies on a wii they have fun games also but I don't think we could give up satellite.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks Jpat, I have had just the reverse situation at home.

The laptop stays connected to the WiFi but the Wii disconnects every 15 minutes or so. I am just in the experimentation phase thus far.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From: Is Comcast Roadblocking Netflix? - The Moviefone Blog
<Click the link for the complete article.>

is the following:

Comcast has been accused of erecting a roadblock to extract more money for streaming movies from Netflix. This arrives in the wake of the streaming-only plan recently announced by Netflix; it raises new concerns about broadband Internet providers blocking or limiting access from competitors in the program delivery business.

The article describes a brewing legal battle between Comcast and other internet providers who make the Netflix streaming movies available. As I understand it, Comcast is demanding money to pass the Netflix streaming movies through their (Comcast) internet service. I believe that Comcast views Netflix as direct competition with their own video on demand available in their (Comcast) TV service.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

At home, I've been watching streamed Netflix movies using a Samsung BlueRay DVD player. It works well. I believe the resolution is 480p; not HD, but, plenty good.

Take care,
Stu

777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
OH sorry!..........no way am I advocating a Wii, PS2 or DVD player, or any other entertainment component capable of viewing streaming video..........over a Satellite System! :( Two different animals! I was merely trying to make folks aware.....if they weren't, that this technology is out there for a reasonable price. I sure didn't know it until recently.........and I just "happened" ........to have a Wii lying around
Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #13

RickO,

Thanks for the good explanation.

I have a G4 Mac laptop that is never used, might consider using the referenced software and see how well that works for the DW.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpat View Post
Since I found no Posting on this subject on the forum(s)..........I offer this FYI.

Nintendo's Wii and Netflix have teamed up to offer streaming instant movies.
If you have yet to install a Satellite System, this might be a good, relatively inexpensive and entertaining substitute. Since I wasn't using the Wii in the house, I decided to install it in the Coach............"for those times". Not long ago, I was notified via my Netflix subscription that I could download streaming video through my Wii ................cool

I tried it out a couple weeks ago in an RV resort on the Oregon Coast............65 mph winds, rain, thunder, lightening and it worked flawlessly. Just need a decent WiFi connection. Our laptop kept losing connection, but not the movies Over the 3 days on the beach, I watched at least 6 movies (couldn't leave the coach)....and none failed. Good video quality and unlimited movies! So..................

$249 for the Wii and $8.99 a mo. for the Netflix subscription. Easy connection to back of TV Hmmm..........Hey! I'm pretty good at this advertising stuff! ..........maybe I should come out of retirement! (not)

Anyway, don't mean to be presumptuous ......but just in case some weren't aware.

The Xbox 360 lets members instantly watch movies & TV episodes streamed from Netflix on the TV. This is available to Netflix members who are also Xbox LIVE Gold members for no additional Netflix fee. In addition, the Xbox 360 offers more than 400 video games, a unified online gaming network, and a variety of entertainment features.
  • Plays video games and standard DVDs
We've used our XBox for 2 years with netflix,and the XBOX360 is only $199 and your netflix is free,and if you have friends who also have a XBOX 360 you can invite them to watch the same movie at the same time and they don't have to have Netflix,you just invite and share a movie.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote