Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Because the turn was like that. I had the CoPilot set just the way you stated. It took me right past a 90 degree turn that would have put me on the same road to take the 45 degree turn.

Without knowing me or how I drive you cannot label me as an unsafe driver. I was driving well be low the speed limit and riding the line. This road had rolls in it and there were several roads that was better than this one for CoPilot to take me on.
This situation is a problem with copilot, not the driver. It is in my blog. Copilot does not give you a turn instruction if the highway does not change numbers even if you're required to make a turn to stay on that same highway number.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Since I updated this app I cannot find the instructions for the turn by turn directions.

Can someone help me please??? I have the CoPilot PremiumUSA (Red)version.
I have the standard free version (black) with the profile set for heavy truck. Mine is running on an android tablet so it may be different than yours. To access the turn by turn description on mine I load the destination. Then the trip map routing screen appears. At the bottom of this screen is a small ^ that I flick up to bring up the turn by turn listing.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I have the standard free version (black) with the profile set for heavy truck. Mine is running on an android tablet so it may be different than yours. To access the turn by turn description on mine I load the destination. Then the trip map routing screen appears. At the bottom of this screen is a small ^ that I flick up to bring up the turn by turn listing.
I saw that symbol, but it would not do anything. I just retried it and it worked this time. I checked the turn by turn and if I had known now what the turns would have been I would have not taken that route.

Being I have a DP now which is much heavier than my previous Tiffin gas rig I will most likely order the CoPilotRV app and try it. I was worried about a few of the bridges on the route I took also. Some of them was pretty small.

I think CoPilot needs to put something in their program to prevent routes with 45 degree turns when it is set to a RV.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #18

What route did you Premium version give you for the address pairs you listed? I also loaded them into the truck version and got the sam result as Ricky.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
What route did you Premium version give you for the address pairs you listed? I also loaded them into the truck version and got the sam result as Ricky.
It had me take Hwy 98 East to 319 then a sharp 45 degree turn onto 375. I then had to take another sharp 45 degree turn on 20 where I took 71 up to I-10 at Blountstown.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Were the turns greater than 90 degrees maybe or what am I missing on a 45 degree turn? 45 degree turns should not be too difficult. Not saying turns weren't sharp just trying to understand. A regular intersection has 90 degree turns so a 45 degree sharp is not making sense to me.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
Were the turns greater than 90 degrees maybe or what am I missing on a 45 degree turn? 45 degree turns should not be too difficult. Not saying turns weren't sharp just trying to understand. A regular intersection has 90 degree turns so a 45 degree sharp is not making sense to me.
A 90 degree turn is like turning at most intersections left or right . The 45 degree turn is turning back toward the way you come from. I have been trying to post pictures of a triangle to show it, but I cannot get them to paste.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
A 90 degree turn is like turning at most intersections left or right . The 45 degree turn is turning back toward the way you come from. I have been trying to post pictures of a triangle to show it, but I cannot get them to paste.
OK. That description makes sense but that is more than a 90 degree turn. Say like 135 or even 180 degrees. 45 degree turn is only half of a 90. I thought that is what you were meaning but was confused by the 45. Thanks for the reply.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I upgraded to the RV version of CoPilot and I cannot save my trips. I go through the steps and save it, but when I go back there is nothing saved. I click "load", but nothing is there.

Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #24

To load start the app, click on New Destination, Click Route icon at the bottom (second from left), click Plan or Edit Trip, next page click Trip Options, click Load and pick your map.

To save from a map click Edit Trip, Trip Options and Save.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
To load start the app, click on New Destination, Click Route icon at the bottom (second from left), click Plan or Edit Trip, next page click Trip Options, click Load and pick your map.

To save from a map click Edit Trip, Trip Options and Save.
I have done that over and over.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #26

The weakness of using a tablet as a GPS system.

I have used both versions of Copilot. RV and Premium. I found the RV version better suited to my needs. JMHO .

That said the only time my RV version has ever stirred me wrong is when it lost the GPS signal for even a brief second.
This can happen with most all GPS system from time to time or if like us you do a lot of mountain camping.
Most GPS system recover fast and do OK. A tablet GPS using a App like Copilot not so good and not so fast.
It can seem to be working normal and send you way off course. We have learned to keep an eye on the tablet
and make sure it has not lost signal. If it has we restart the entire tablet and app.

To help with Andiord GPS tracking I use GPS TEST app free from the Google Play store.
This lets me know if I have good sat connections with my tablet GPS and how many sats I have .

Not sure if this information is of any help to anyone , but it is my 0.02 cents worth of help.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
This situation is a problem with copilot, not the driver. It is in my blog. Copilot does not give you a turn instruction if the highway does not change numbers even if you're required to make a turn to stay on that same highway number.
This.

After using CoPilot RV on my iPad for a 7,000+ mile trip to both coasts, I am done with it. It is an okay app - I don't want to sound completely negative about it - but where it fails, it does so consistently. The routing was good, but there were times, like when we had to go through Dallas to get around flooded Houston where it simply would not tell me what lane I needed to be in. It would let me know within 200ft that I had to make sudden changes and it got to the point where I was forced off an exit and screaming at the GPS while my wife laughed.

My other gripe with this app is the VERY, very poor list of RV parks/resorts. It has a lot in its data base, but I found that at least one out of 5 wasn't there. And these weren't slummy, nothing parks on the side of a freeway in the middle of nowhere - it lacked information on major, established parks - and even trying to enter the address manually generally resulted in it not knowing that address so it would approximate. It got to the point where when we knew (or hoped) we were within a half hour to our destination, my wife would use google maps on her phone to supplement the CoPilot guidance. There were too many times where the directions conflicted and we listened to google, and both exclaimed, 'thank god we listened to the phone!'

I bought the Garmin RV 770, just got it from Amazon and set it up/updated it. We have a 3 week trip to Arizona coming up and I'm excited to try it out. The reviews are questionable and mixed - but I'm willing to take shot, theres always google maps, which surprisingly has been the most reliable to date despite not having RV specific routing available. But you'd be surprised how few common roads actually have restrictions worth knowing.