Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

CoPilot GPS software

Is anyone using CoPilot software on either a tablet or lap top with GPS for mapping and/or travel.

I am wanting to know if when this program is being used can you move the map around on the screen so you can see an intersection several miles down the road or enlarge a interstate interchange to determine you course of travel.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used this program on an IPad for several years. It meets all of my needs.
Yes, you can preview your route and make changes as you see fit.
Bently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

They don't have a windows version for use on a laptop but will work on tablets of either Apple or Android OS's. You can manipulate it and put in your preferences as to road types, etc. Works well for me - just used it on a 3000 mile trip to the southwest.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

I've been running it on my laptop (Windows 7) for 3 years. It's not as good as Streets & Trips and it does silly things like taking you off an Interstate because the local road is 400 feet shorter in distance to your destination. We'd be driving along at 60 mph and it suddenly shouts out "Turn left" when there isn't even a road to turn on.

We use it to look up things but rely on the Garmin for actual routing.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #5

I stand corrected. When I bought it I emailed the company about a windows version and was told they didn't have one yet. Evidently they do now, but it is expensive. I'll just continue to use the version on my andriod tablet.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got a Windows version many years ago, I also prefer Streets and Trips.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
I've been running it on my laptop (Windows 7) for 3 years. It's not as good as Streets & Trips and it does silly things like taking you off an Interstate because the local road is 400 feet shorter in distance to your destination. We'd be driving along at 60 mph and it suddenly shouts out "Turn left" when there isn't even a road to turn on.

We use it to look up things but rely on the Garmin for actual routing.
If it does that, it is probably because you told it to. ther are trip options, where you can tell it to take the shortest rout, or the fastest rout, or to avoid tolls, etc. You have probably opted for the shortest rout. Try switching your preference to fastest route.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
If it does that, it is probably because you told it to. ther are trip options, where you can tell it to take the shortest rout, or the fastest rout, or to avoid tolls, etc. You have probably opted for the shortest rout. Try switching your preference to fastest route.

Joel
I've tried changing the settings but it still doesn't work well. My Garmin also has shortest route and fastest so I'm familiar with all that. Co-Pilot is not a very good program for primary routing but comes in handy for the real co-pilot to look things up while running down the road.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CoPilot Live v8 for Laptop https://copilotgps.com/us/personal/laptop.asp is a Windows based program. The maps are 2011, and according to tech support they do not know when, if ever, they might be updated.

The CoPilot apps for iOS and Android devices receive regular map updates.

My favorite routing app is the Rand McNally RV GPS iOS only app RV GPS app It is a little pricey at $99.00, but it has worked very well for me for the past couple of years.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
Co-Pilot is not a very good program for primary routing but comes in handy for the real co-pilot to look things up while running down the road.
Must agree. I wanted it to work but it just failed (bad routing/info) me too many times
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #11

I have been using CoPilot on an android tablet for a few years, and find to be useful. I have a dash mount and use it for my primary navigation app. My usual caveat is to never put all your trust in ANY GPS app. I also have my phone running with a different navigation app, and DW has tablet & phone available to run searches as needed, but it turns out she much prefers paper maps. Go figure. I find that I don't want to be futzing with the map while I'm driving so I don't use the look ahead feature, just ask DW to do it. Politely.

DeepDoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #12

I have used several different GPS devices, but find my iPhone google maps to be the easiest. I generally start, though, with the web version - which allows me to have a greater view of the general route, and I can move the route if I see a better angle or direction or road that I'd rather use. I then use my iPhone for the actual directions, and/or voice input, while driving. I can 'zoom' out or in to look at either the greater overall route, or an upcoming turn or intersection.
I also like to use it on the 'satelite' view to zoom in to see the in/outs of fuel stations, as to whether it's a station I can manuver easily to, as well as parking areas, such as large parking lots, Walmart type stores, entry and manuvering within RV park, etc.
No matter what your GPS or map says, though, there's always the situation where things have changed. We arrived late one evening to an RV park right off the interstate, following the map, and 'assuming' it was giving us the correct turns. Turns out, though, the 'old' entrance had been moved by the RV park to a new entrance on the other side of the park, which left us in a 'less than desirable' neighborhood, with very little area or options to turn our 50' train around. Another time we again arrived after dark to a fairly large 'name brand' park, but their signage was less than helpful, confusing at the least. When we missed the main entrance, my map told me that there was another entrance road ahead, but it was actually an old 'exit', for personal vehicles only. We could not turn around and wound going 4-5miles before we found a suitable 'road' to try to turn around in. I had to unhook the toad, as well. Leason learned; no matter what help with directions you have, just don't arrive at new locations after dark!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps