Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Angry CoPilot Live Disappointment

To all of our RVing friends
FYI and a long story made short.
We've used CoPilot Live Version 8 on our laptop for some years now. Laptop totally crashes. Try to load V8 into new laptop, software tells me to contact company for activation code.
Unknown to us when we purchased V8, there is a hidden expiration time period within the software and the company will not give us the activation code. They say V8 is old technology and we need to buy the new version 11.
Retired seniors on a fixed income can't afford to buy new technology when it comes out everyday. The old technology worked fine, but we are penalized because our laptop crashed.
So, beware of CoPlot Live software with it's hidden expiration time period. They will not give you the needed activation code unless you upgrade. Your right to decide when to upgrade has been taken away without you knowing about it.
Has anybody else encounted this problem with CoPilot Live? We are now looking for another GPS program for our new laptop and it won't be CoPilot Live.
Drive safely
Byron & Linda Landry
FMCA Member
Escapees Member

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unless the DW just needs to be doing something, I would just go for a regular GPS like Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc. Seems to me that a laptop GPS, would be too much trouble. Roland

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I've got MS Streets and Trips with the GPS module. Worked quite nicely on the laptop but since I've gone back to the fifth wheel, I don't have room in the cab.

Bill
Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

They have trashed what was once a good program. I bought the newer version and ended up taking it back off my computer. I reloaded version 10 back and I have no problems.If you search the internet for reviews you will find the majority of people feel the same way I do. Search e-bay for a good program that can be activated, not version 11
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoslandry View Post
Retired seniors on a fixed income can't afford to buy new technology when it comes out everyday. The old technology worked fine.
How true! The technology companies can't keep going unless they constantly update, forcing last year's items to be obsoleted. The hardware is durable, so changing the software is part of the business model. There is some usefulness in getting new maps, since roads and streets do change over time, but not enough to affect most RVers. I can see how delivery folks and others who need the latest information would benefit from continual upgrades. On the other hand, something like an operating system or word processor that is perfectly functional is hardly a necessary upgrade. There is nothing in Microsoft's latest Windows 7 or Office software that I need, but once MS stops supporting their software, you are pretty much forced to upgrade.

I am getting along fine with an obsolete Garmin GPS-V with a tiny black and white display running an old version of map software. I use the GPS as a receiver with a wire into a $180 9" EeePC netbook velcroed to my dash. The netbook runs Windows XP just fine along with Garmin nRoute (downloaded for free). I have a nice big display that shows me my route plus speed, distance, altitude and other info. The software nags me to upgrade every time I start it up, but I can still program routing to most anywhere I want to go. I can get live Google or Yahoo map info via the Verizon air card if I need it (not while driving). I can tune an internet radio feed while driving along. As long as the old equipment keeps working, I will avoid the upgrade path.

If buying old versions of software, be sure that it will work and get any necessary keys or unlock codes included. I also have learned this lesson the hard way.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I switched to MS S&T.
The antenna (GPS) for Co-Pilot will work with MS S&T
Less that $30 for MS S&T
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #7

If this is relying on your computer for the date.....why don't you just try being off line and resetting your computer date to something "old enough" then trying the install. I say be off line as some computers use sources on-line to update date/time and that could foil your plan. Once you have it installed and working Okey Dokey, reset your dates to current.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

A good program no longer supported by the developer. Neither v10 or 11 will run on the new WIN7 64 bit program, and they will give no indication of if or when there will be a compatible version. In addition, when I used the 32 bit WIN7 program, v10 wouldn't run on that either.

A quick look at their WEB page shows where their interest is, and it isn't laptop software. A call to their tech people gets someone in England, and they hang up on you if the software is more than 90 days old.

I've been through v7,8,9,and 10 with them but their disk is a pool toy now. Too bad when a company chooses to ignore a portion of their clientele. We're learning DeLorme Street Atlas. Don't like it much, but that's all there is.

John