Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 04:15 AM   #15

Windows 10 has all the necessary anti-virus software within the program, why install another anti-virus program that slows everything down.

MRT / Windows Defender

I removed all the bloated commercial anti-virus programs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #16
paz

We got a free trial of McAfee with our 2 new Dell computers. Both computers periodically would hang up, and we either had to wait several minutes for the hangup to clear or we had to reboot.

I suspected McAfee was causing the problem so I tried deactivating it. Once deactivated, McAfee was a bigger PITA than ever. It would pop up every few minutes and tell us the computer was unprotected and ask us to turn McAfee back on.

I uninstalled McAfee a couple of weeks ago, and neither computer has hung up since. We are now using Norton.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Is this the equivalent of Microsoft Security Essentials?. This is a free Microsoft program that was recommended by my favorite PC tech a few years back. We changed to this from Norton but I just Googled it and discover it now has a terrible rating. We didn't change from Windows 7 to 10 due to many alleged problems, but this discussion concerns anti-virus programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Windows 10 has all the necessary anti-virus software within the program....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
I too quit using Mcaffee. Who needs a virus when your scanning software slows your computer to a crawl?
Exactly how my Darling Daughter felt. She got a virus, I got rid of it and installed a fire wall and Anti Virals,, She got a new computer, still felt the safety software slowed it too much Caught another virus.. Ended up handing me the computer "If you can get it working it's yours" I used it for like 3 years, worked fine after I de-virused it and fixed the damage the virus did.

I don't know if she's learned or not.. (Her husband worked for hours to get one file off that last computer (Her Thesis) took me less than 15 minutes to get it up and running,, but then I had to use some of those "Arcane DOS commands).
Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Been using Avast on my office and home computers for a few years with no problems.

It also takes some common sense as it doesn't matter what you're running, none of them will stop everything. Just be careful what you open and allow to run.
X2 on Avast! The free version is pretty dang good, and the paid version is really really good at a very low cost. Used it on a couple thousand PCs and Macs where I used to work before retirement, loved it.

Roger
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #20

May I add my .5 cent, been using ESET on my Surfaces, Android and home computers. Haven't had any problems, plus I use Windows Defender as an add-on to ESET.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 AM   #21

I test software and have computers with many anti virus products including McAfee. My favorite in terms of resource use is the free Windows Defender. But I've had no problems with McAfee. Norton is currently my least favorite due to resource use. All of the anti virus and malware vendors are scrambling to add other features as Microsoft makes them obsolete with the free built in Windows Defender. At this point, Windows 10 is a great upgrade that I prefer over Windows 7. If you are still using Windows XP it's time to stop for security reasons. In this day and age, a password manager is essential, a feature luvdoggiez mentions. I haven't used the password manager in McAfee. I'm currently using a product called RoboForm as a password manager. It works and syncs across many platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. It runs well inside most browsers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Been using Avast on my office and home computers for a few years with no problems.

It also takes some common sense as it doesn't matter what you're running, none of them will stop everything. Just be careful what you open and allow to run.
Same here. I've used Avast for years in everything without any problems or infestations.

I always have two users set up for my Microsoft computers. I use an administrative account for making changes only. Otherwise it doesn't log in. But I normally log in with a user set up with standard privileges. If anything tries to install Windows demands the administrator password.
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We use AVG (free) and occasionally malwarebytes (free) and store passwords and such on RoboForm (cloud based) and are very happy with this system

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #24

IT geek here-go the only AV you need is the free one from Microsoft- MS Security Essentials. I'd add a subscription to MalwareBytes.Used this combo for 10 years in dozens of boxes-nearly foolproof for minimal cost.
akaJimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Exactly how my Darling Daughter felt. She got a virus,
Two week ago my daughter came over in near melt down mode. She made a boo boo when a window popped up saying problem call microsoft at this number. She thought she was talking to a microsoft tech and let them remotly take control of her computer.
She realized it was a scam when they wanted $350 to repair and shut it down pronto.

I was unable to do anything, A call to HP and they recommended to bring it to best buy where she bought it 8 months ago. The best buy (geek squad) told her mcafee is junk and put something else in to protect. Took a week for them to clean up everything and all is well again.

Lesson learned.

I gave up on windows machines 5 years ago and got my present macbook pro, love it.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #26

That bruce91's daughter got infected is not the antivirus software's problem. She invited them in. Situations like the one described are why everyone should be backing up to an external drive or the cloud frequently. Then she could have restored to at least a recent image of her computer.

If you are not doing any backup do yourself a big favor and buy an external USB drive from Seagate or Western Digital and start backing up at least weekly.

Also, you can protect your valuable data by using cloud storage like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc. so that your data automatically gets synced to the cloud.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #27

What knit said-she got taken in by Social Engineering (she was tricked).

Online Backup systems like Crashplan, Carbonite, etc can help provided they backup once/day. Or the external drive/usb that knit mentioned.

Check out TheElderGeek.com - I really like them, they're all about trying to help folks be safe.
akaJimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #28

Used to be a big McAfee and Norton fan. They went to junk status in the early days of XP. Have been running AVG free since.

Windows anti viral products are considered junk by the folks who know what they are talking about. There was a lot of hope over Defender when it came out but MS dropped the ball.

Have used up through 10 but am tired of the Microsoft games and don't like the direction they are going in. Running some old XP and Linux. Much less hassle than 10.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote