Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Current thoughts on McAfee

Hi there everyone,

We are considering installing McAfee as our virus protection on our three home PC's. In years past (2005 to 2012) I'd had nothing but performance problems with McAfee and so we avoided it. However, there are a couple of features that the latest version has that we like the sound of, specifically: "Selective File encryption" and "Password storage".

I'd like your thoughts if you have recently used (2016 and later) McAfee Total Protection Suite and if you would recommend it or not.

Thank you for your time!

Safe Travels!
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

I've never been a fan of McAfee, used it many years ago. Present internet provider gives me free antivirus protection. You may want to check out this provider. You may have never heard of it before but it is one of the top rated softwares. Click on "Total Security", I think it does what you want. http://usa.kaspersky.com/
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not much of a McAfee fan ... my experience with it (albeit somewhat dated) is that they were more concerned about using it as a sales platform than for actually protecting my PC. I'm currently using Bitdefender ... and prior to that ESET. Both had a smaller installation footprint on the PC than McAfee did at the time I looked at it.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #4

McAfee let two computers get infected. It didnt stop them, didnt find them and woyldnt fix them. Slowed my machines to a crawel befor virus. ESET found and removed them. I hear good things about PCMatic, too. Here is an article on anti virus test. The Most Important Security Test in a Decade
Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

I've used McAfee many years ago. I quit using it, and am not a fan of it. I use AVG (free version) and Windows Clam. Or Clam for windows. Clam is a open source AV software. I became familar with Clam when using Linux years ago and never had any problems. Back then, it seemed that most of my problems came from either McAfee or Norton, but Norton seems to have redeemed themselves and are doing much better. I keep hearing little things about viruses coming in from McAfee. IDK, YMMV.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

I too quit using McAfee years ago due to performance issues and went to Trend Micro. Never had any issues with TM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use McAfee currently and have for several years. Multiple computers, typically we have 3 or 4 in the herd. Works well. Don't know it's there. I have had no issues with being hacked or hijacked.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too quit using Mcaffee. Who needs a virus when your scanning software slows your computer to a crawl?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

Nix on McAffee - I've been using Zone Alarm for a dozen years. I think they have a 3 for 1 price now too.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Interesting topic. I had a computer service business and sold it back in 2011 and had thousands of clients. Sold quite a bit of Symantec monthly. Removed McAfee regularly from their computers as it either caused issues and/or let the computer get infected. A lot of that is due to user error (not stopping something when an alert shows or not updating the software regularly and often). But the client wanted something different almost exclusively.
I personally use AVG. Prior to that I used Symantec all the way back to say the early 90's. Better not be jinxing myself
I've never been infected with a virus or malware. A lot has to due with sites visited and being aware of what you are doing and clicking on.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using Norton 360 for many years and have never had any problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #12

Been using Avast on my office and home computers for a few years with no problems.

It also takes some common sense as it doesn't matter what you're running, none of them will stop everything. Just be careful what you open and allow to run.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The reason I am asking has everything to do with where I was 'Clicking'. I was trying to find a parts breakout diagram for our water heater and clicked on the wrong site and things got ugly from there. I did have Malware protection, but it failed me. The PC ended up getting toasted, but fortunately was still under warrantee. Now looking at other options for my virus and Malware protection.

I also use to be a PC repair guy years ago, but gave up the business because of too many headaches! :-)

Safe travels!
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have NEVER been a fan of McAffee and never will be.. First, from a technical standpoint it is very draining on computer resources, there are better products that take up less processor time.

Second.. When I point out that McAffee is believed to have engaged in criminal activity..l.. People like to point out that has nothing to do with the company.

Only I'm not talking about the MAN.. I'm talking about the COMPANY.

I had a theory back when the first Virus Programs were released that the big Anti virus companies might be.. Shall we say. "Seeding the market"... And my source assures me that McAffee's competitor is honest and would never do that kind of thing... But well.. My suspicions were valid and it was done... He also told me where the professor hired to write a bunch of "Kilroy was here" type viruses hung his degree but I do not recall the professor's name. Only his employer.. McAffee the company.