Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Damn birds!

We have nursed along a 10+ year old Winegard Mov'n View in motion system that started to have trouble tracking a little over a year ago. As long as we were driving straight and encountered very minimal curves the system would work fine. Any larger curves or corners, the sat would lose the signal and could not find it again without shutting off and restarting the antenna.

We installed a Winegard Travel'r this spring in addition to the in motion so kids could still watch TV on the road. Absolutely love the Travel'r and the initial thought was we would use the in motion until it completely died then remove and live without live TV while driving. Well, the in motion finally died while on a long trip to the desert Southwest a few weeks ago. We quickly realized how much we would miss the live TV as well as the music channels we often listen to while kids watch TV in the bedroom. Since I have no desire to have yet another payment for satellite radio, I made the decision to go ahead and replace the in motion with the new Winegard T4 as they were on sale through Amazon for a little over $1k.

I changed out the old Mov'n View last weekend and can't even begin to explain how great the T4 is. It's small, quiet and worked flawlessly on the way to our destination on a short 2 hour trip this weekend. I was ecstatic about how it functioned after months of dealing with the old one.

This morning we left to head home and about 30 minutes into our trip, a loud pop, a cloud of feathers, and an instant no signal message on the TV. Sure as hell, we hit a bird with the brand new T4 I just installed the week before! We pulled over to look and the front of the dome is smashed in.

After getting home I removed the dome and was able to push the dent out of the dome. Thankfully, when I turned the dish back on, everything still works perfectly. I'm concerned about the integrity of the dome so I will be contacting Winegard to see about a replacement tomorrow.

I should probably go buy a lottery ticket as this had to be a one in several million chance this damn bird hit our brand new dish!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477856920.989861.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	143084
Cusn Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

I can just imagine what the bird said. Damn RVs!
Old 10-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

That must be a soft dome, or a hard bird as I only see a dent.

I had a hen pheasant fly in front of the truck while pulling the fiver. I ducked (reflex action) and thought for a brief moment that was close. Then I heard the thud. Got her with the front cap. Blood and guts all over the place.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Couple of years ago on this forum or RV.NET read of a turkey going through the windshield of a class a. Made a mess and they had feathers all through the rv.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
I can just imagine what the bird said. Damn RVs!

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote