RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

Dash Cam use in Motorhome

Does anyone use a Dash Cam in their motorhome if so do you find its use beneficial?

Biggp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #2

Dash cam

It will come in very handy if you are involved in an accident. It will also be used if someone break in to the coach. Getting a picture of who is around. Mine turns on if any movement is detected.

JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggp View Post
Does anyone use a Dash Cam in their motorhome if so do you find its use beneficial?
Mine runs constantly when we are on the move. It has come in handy a few times already when ID10Ts cut us off. We had one close call where a guy changed lanes right in front of us and slammed on the brakes. If I had rear ended him, it would have been my word against his without the camera.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Newer ones are coming out with lane deviation and collision avoidance alarms.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Falcon Zero for all the above reasons. Also, got a nice little video descending into Palo Duro SP by Canyon, TX.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

I have used the Garmin 20 for the past three years. When I bought it, it was one of the top rated cameras. Now the 55 has come out with even more features.
I have mine setup in the MH with a sticky mount to the lower Center of the windshield. It is hard wired into the dash fuse panel to come on with the ignition. In addition, I have my toad hard wired also so I can pop it out of the coach and snap it into the toad very easily.
At first I used the standard suction cup mount that came with the camera but found it would fall off after two or three days I believe because of the heat at the windshield.
It's one of those things that might come in real handy one but in the meantime if you want to review your trips, it's there.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/567282

https://www.amazon.com/IG-PSTARA-i-T...ndshield+mount
Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed one of these in all my cars and my Old Mirada. I have one on order for my "New to Me" 1999 Southwind. Get the Super Capacitor model, not the battery model.

It records a file every five minutes (about 500 meg) for about 5 hours of recording on a 32 gig card. It overwrites the oldest files if they are not marked as read only.

If you have the "G" sensor set. If it sees a "G" sensor, it closes the current file and marks it as read only so it won't get overrided. I turned the "G" sensor off as it would occationally false alarm. I am of the thought that if I have a wreck or the camera captures something. I'll need to manually go and retrieve the files anyway, just do it before 5 hours so the file doesn't get overridden.

I have mine wired so it starts recording when the engine is running, and shuts off about 15 seconds after the engine shuts off.

The quality is very, very good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #8

We have the Garmin dash cam. It stays on whenever the coach is being used or serviced. I hope we never need to find it beneficial.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I've used one for the last few years and think of it as cheap insurance should something happen in front of me. Mine also has a motion sensor built in which may provide an extra level of security when we parked. My loving, caring and oh so helpful trial lawyer friends hate them which is also why I have one!
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have the Falcon Zero. It goes from Coach to Toad with a suction cup mount. The 170* field of view is great.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #11

Have one in my car and in the MH. Cheap insurance. Never had an at fault accident and don't plan on starting now. Too many unscrupulous people out there and have seen way too many stupid idiotic boneheaded moves by others.
It's gotten considerably worse will all the people texting, surfing the internet simply not paying attention while trying (notice I say trying) to drive.
HD video so it takes really nice video if/when I am traveling somewhere it is always rolling when the coach is on.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #12

Dash Cam use in Motorhome

Thank you for your responses they are all very useful. The program within the Dash Cam that intriques me the most are new feathers like lane departure warnings, forward collision avoidance alarms plus alerts for nearby red light cameras and speed cameras. What do you think???
Biggp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggp View Post
Thank you for your responses they are all very useful. The program within the Dash Cam that intriques me the most are new feathers like lane departure warnings, forward collision avoidance alarms plus alerts for nearby red light cameras and speed cameras. What do you think???
The Garmin 55 has all those and the features of the 20. Plus it is actually less than my 20. If I were going for a new one I think I would seriously look at the 55.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
lane avoidance, etc

We have a new to us 2014 Acadia with most of the lane departure warnings, etc.

I have grown to like those and since I am in a 2003 motor home - obviously do not have those built it.

I think, if I were looking at a 'dash cam' for the RV, I would spring for those aids.

Even though there was a 'discussion' some time back (recently) on the value of these newer technoligies - In my opinion, IF I AM NOT OVERLOADED with information, and it helps me avoid even one accident or 'fender bender' or curb cut - IT IS WELL WORTH IT.

I do not have experience with the garmin unit mentioned, but believe that I some some other brand claiming those capabilities.

Keep us posted on your decisions going forward.

Lee

Tags
dash, motorhome