Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I actually ordered the one PDR John posted in post #2. It's the newer model DVR 207 , which replaced the DVR 027.
Here is a link showing the comparison.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...574&cmd=VIDESC
That should be a good camera. Mine is probably the older model compared to on that page. The poor quality model, besides being 30% the cost, can be distinguished by the power connection. The poor quality model has a mini-USB style power connection where as this good quality model has a barrel type power connection.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for mounting, some things I learned. Make sure you mount it to look through the windshield in an area that will be cleared by the wipers...no further explanation required I'm sure but I've made that error before and have had to move the camera as a result.

As for mounting the camera far back from the windshield, that's fine BUT, if you mount it in a car for example, far back from the windshield, the ambient light the camera will be seeing will be far less than that outside in the day time. This will result in the camera only being able to see what's IN the car and it will not see outside at all because outside the car will be far brighter light and will just wash out the image so that nothing is seen. I haven't tested this in a MH but I'd expect a similar yet less dramatic result.

The recordings loop to fill the available memory card. Once the card is full, the camera over-writes the oldest recording. I don't know exactly how many hours I get on my 32GB card but it's a lot. I can drive for probably 10 to 12 hours before it erases old recordings.

The audio recording is ok...you have to speak up if you want to be heard clearly on the recording. I find this useful for reading license plates as the camera's resolution is often not good enough to make out the plates at any distance. I'd estimate I have to be within 15 or 20 ft from the plate to get a clear image of it.

If the mount falls off your windshield, check that you've removed the protective plastic from the suction cup. Also, you may need to add a little moisture to the cup to make a good seal. Once mine is attached firmly, I have no issues with it dropping off.

The camera automatically starts recording when the power is applied and stops when the power is removed. This is a setting though so you should check the settings. You can also set the camera to record when it sees motion. This is not intended to catch a person walking by the camera. The whole image the camera sees must move in order to trigger the camera...which means you are moving the vehicle.

The IR lights are great if you want to record in the dark and not through glass. If you want to record an image of the driver (to prove to the cops that you weren't using your cell phone for example) you can use the IR setting for this. Some cameras have visible spectrum LED's so they would be quite useless for this purpose. Using any LED's to see through glass is also pointless...it doesn't work.

I've been using my dash cams for about a year now and I really like them. I forget many of the features because I rarely touch them...only to remove the card if something noteworthy takes place. I've used the poor quality cameras (that look the same) but I wouldn't waste my money on them now...I actually got three units DOA with no restitution from the seller so once bitten...

Although I didn't buy through this seller, I'm sure this is the same model I bought.

This is the camera I have, an older version of the one on eBay linked above.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Road Hogg. Those tips will be useful.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
A 32 GB card with my camera set at 30 fps gives me about 8 hours of recording time before it starts looping.

I added cigarette lighter receptacle behind my dash that is fuse wired to the ignition side of my distribution panel. It automatically starts with the ignition on, and shuts down when the ignition is turned off. I have a separate power cable that I can plug into a standard always hot receptacle when the coach is parked and connected to shore power.

I leave it connected this way at home and actually had video proof to show to the parents of some minor landscape damage to my front yard caused by their kids. Wasn't a big deal, but the kids now give my property a wide berth.

Does 30 FPS give you a good enough picture?

Which model # did you get? Would you buy the same one again or spend more money?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Does 30 FPS give you a good enough picture?

Which model # did you get? Would you buy the same one again or spend more money?

Thanks
I have had my dash cam for almost three years and it's still working fine. Here is a short clip: RV Dash camera - YouTube

Mine is similar to the one in the link posted earlier by PDR John, but is older and I would think the new ones have improved.

For the purposes of providing proof in case of an accident I don't think you need a high quality camera, so something in the $60-$75 range should be fine.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
Mine is inches from the windshield.

Did you find a domestic supplier for that model?

No, mine is coming on the slow boat from China.

Thanks for the further information.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is on that same boat. Due here this week.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put my Dash cam in before my trip to Branson. I am happy with its function, but find that license plate reading is not possible. I chose to mount it high and center, so that it was not visible from the interior at all. It points down at an angle that it can see 2 inches in front of the RV and about 30-40 feet in front. Because of this angle, this is not going to be good video for home movies, etc.

If I want a 'tour' video, I can easily rotate it to more of a natural view of the road.

I am attaching both a video of driving, shows some high speed, and then some stop and go. Also attached is a still photo taking in Parking mode @ freightliner. Shows the hood up as a reference point.

Smarty BX1500 Dash Cam in Newmar Dutchstar - YouTube

This camera is the smarty bx1500 plus 120 hd

http://www.amazon.com/SMARTY-BX1500-.../dp/B005UG2SY0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013.04.19. 09.37.57.93.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	37219  

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a picture of the camera installation from the outside. The two white strips of tape is what hold it up. I hate the white, as it sticks out, but the 3m black/gray trim tape comes off too easy. I need to find a good clear tape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	37220  

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot to post the link for Stop & Go Traffic:

20130419_073320 - YouTube

Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
As for mounting, some things I learned. Make sure you mount it to look through the windshield in an area that will be cleared by the wipers...no further explanation required I'm sure but I've made that error before and have had to move the camera as a result.

As for mounting the camera far back from the windshield, that's fine BUT, if you mount it in a car for example, far back from the windshield, the ambient light the camera will be seeing will be far less than that outside in the day time. This will result in the camera only being able to see what's IN the car and it will not see outside at all because outside the car will be far brighter light and will just wash out the image so that nothing is seen. I haven't tested this in a MH but I'd expect a similar yet less dramatic result.

The recordings loop to fill the available memory card. Once the card is full, the camera over-writes the oldest recording. I don't know exactly how many hours I get on my 32GB card but it's a lot. I can drive for probably 10 to 12 hours before it erases old recordings.

The audio recording is ok...you have to speak up if you want to be heard clearly on the recording. I find this useful for reading license plates as the camera's resolution is often not good enough to make out the plates at any distance. I'd estimate I have to be within 15 or 20 ft from the plate to get a clear image of it.

If the mount falls off your windshield, check that you've removed the protective plastic from the suction cup. Also, you may need to add a little moisture to the cup to make a good seal. Once mine is attached firmly, I have no issues with it dropping off.

The camera automatically starts recording when the power is applied and stops when the power is removed. This is a setting though so you should check the settings. You can also set the camera to record when it sees motion. This is not intended to catch a person walking by the camera. The whole image the camera sees must move in order to trigger the camera...which means you are moving the vehicle.

The IR lights are great if you want to record in the dark and not through glass. If you want to record an image of the driver (to prove to the cops that you weren't using your cell phone for example) you can use the IR setting for this. Some cameras have visible spectrum LED's so they would be quite useless for this purpose. Using any LED's to see through glass is also pointless...it doesn't work.

I've been using my dash cams for about a year now and I really like them. I forget many of the features because I rarely touch them...only to remove the card if something noteworthy takes place. I've used the poor quality cameras (that look the same) but I wouldn't waste my money on them now...I actually got three units DOA with no restitution from the seller so once bitten...

Although I didn't buy through this seller, I'm sure this is the same model I bought.

This is the camera I have, an older version of the one on eBay linked above.

These look good for the price.

Has anyone found about the same thing but shipped from the US
so we don't have to wait a month?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered mine on the 11th and its in Chicago.

Name:	image-1896181583.png
Views:	127
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	37249

Hopefully to me in Fla. in a few days. Not exactly fast but not one month

Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I ordered mine on the 11th and its in Chicago.

Attachment 37249

Hopefully to me in Fla. in a few days. Not exactly fast but not one month

Do you have the name or link of that dealer?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's in post #2 by PDR John.

Tags
dash