Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Datron dbs-3000-300

We bought a used motorhome last year, in one of the storage bays there were electronic boxes for different systems. First was this Datron box witch was not hooked up, but the dish ant. is on the roof. Also there was a Direct Tv reciever, which is outdated compared to what we have in our home. It also has cabel and tripod. My question is could tlhe Datron that is mounted on the roof still be used, or should we try to take one of our house recievers from direct and hook up with tripod. The reason for asking is I can't see hauling this dish mounted on the roof if it is not useable. But worry about removing and roof leaks. Any info appreciated.
pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

Can you give a little more detail on Datron box. Like does it have a meter on front ? It could be a field strength meter for dish alignment. Datron is big in the communication field. Police,military and first responder
oet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #3

I work with robots ect. daily. Datron been around for a long time. They are big in communication. Can you give a little more detail?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

I pulled some old books and the Datron dbs3000 only works with direct tv because of the connector on back of back. It probely has a blue looking program card in the slot. From what I found the system is pretty old. Parts are no longer available. King controls make a great system but it is not cheap. Good luck
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
datron 3000

Thanks for the responce. Tried to attach pic of box but didn't work. The box has a power switch, status llite stow lite and elevation meter on face. Back has power antenna ird cabel ird cord, and ant plug. You are probably right, to old but didn't want to remove from roof if it was useable. Any can't justify cost of King unit at this time. Might have to explore my diret tv tripod and reciever from house. Thanks again
pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
My situation was similar to yours. Our 2003 Monaco Windsor has a Datron 3000 antenna / receiver system. The receiver is indeed outdated as you pointed out. Ours had a Sony receiver (IRD) and it had a feedback cable that went to the antenna controller box. The purpose of the cable was to tell the antenna controller when the correct satellite was found and locked on to.

Though outdated, the IRD worked perfectly. That said we did not want to pay for another box on our DIRECTV subscription that would only be used in the coach. Also it did not have DVR/TiVo capability which is a must at our house.

So I unhooked the original Sony IRD and now just take one of the DVR's from the house out to the coach and hook it up in place of the original IRD when we go on a trip.

The functionality we lose is the ability of the antenna controller to find the correct DIRECTV satellite completely automatically. What happens when the controller switch is placed in the "VIEW" position is that the Dartron elevates and rotates the dish antenna and locks on to the first satellite it finds. If that's your satellite, you're good to go. If not you just momentarily rock the switch to the "STOW" position and return it to the "VIEW" position and it will move on to the next satellite. Repeat as necessary until it locks on to the correct satellite.

This is all in standard definition and you would need a whole different system if you wanted to get high definition TV. Also the antenna delivers the signal on only one coax so you cannot watch live TV on one channel while recording on another. But you can still watch prerecorded programs while recording a live broadcast.

We've used it this way for more than a week and have no problems and no desire to change anything. I will say that we had a strong wind last Friday and I "stowed" the rooftop dish antenna because it was getting buffeted about enough to cause some pixilation.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have about the operation of the Datron system. By the way, while Datron may still be active in the automation industry, the TV antenna business is gone.

FWIW

On edit: While I cannot test this, theoretically the Datron 3000 works with Dish/Echostar too. There are a couple of Echostar-compatible IRD's shown in the manual. I think "compatible" in the cases of both the DIRECTV and DISH IRD's is the feedback data loop cable that enables fully automatic satellite acquisition. The semi-automatic process I described above should work equally well for DISH satellites and DIRECTV's.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtaxi View Post
We bought a used motorhome last year, in one of the storage bays there were electronic boxes for different systems. First was this Datron box witch was not hooked up, but the dish ant. is on the roof. Also there was a Direct Tv reciever, which is outdated compared to what we have in our home. It also has cabel and tripod. My question is could tlhe Datron that is mounted on the roof still be used, or should we try to take one of our house recievers from direct and hook up with tripod. The reason for asking is I can't see hauling this dish mounted on the roof if it is not useable. But worry about removing and roof leaks. Any info appreciated.
The Datron you describe will likely "work" with your DirecTV receiver but you will have to do the pointing with a bit of manual intervention. The unit was designed to work with the older DTV boxes which have a low speed data port. If that is the receiver that in currently installed you should be able to use that receiver to point the dish to the DirecTV 101 satellite and then, using an A/B switch select your current receiver and watch all of the DirecTV standard definition programming. Another option would be to eliminate the old receiver, install yours and then using the signal meter on that receiver, wait until you see a good signal and quickly turn off the Datron controller so it stays pointed toward the 101.
That unit and every dome unit on the market can only receive the DirecTV SD programming so if you have a desire for the HD and SD programming you will have to replace the Datron with a Winegard or MotoSAT open face multi-LNB antenna.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
My situation was similar to yours. Our 2003 Monaco Windsor has a Datron 3000 antenna / receiver system. The receiver is indeed outdated as you pointed out. Ours had a Sony receiver (IRD) and it had a feedback cable that went to the antenna controller box. The purpose of the cable was to tell the antenna controller when the correct satellite was found and locked on to.

Though outdated, the IRD worked perfectly. That said we did not want to pay for another box on our DIRECTV subscription that would only be used in the coach. Also it did not have DVR/TiVo capability which is a must at our house.

So I unhooked the original Sony IRD and now just take one of the DVR's from the house out to the coach and hook it up in place of the original IRD when we go on a trip.

The functionality we lose is the ability of the antenna controller to find the correct DIRECTV satellite completely automatically. What happens when the controller switch is placed in the "VIEW" position is that the Dartron elevates and rotates the dish antenna and locks on to the first satellite it finds. If that's your satellite, you're good to go. If not you just momentarily rock the switch to the "STOW" position and return it to the "VIEW" position and it will move on to the next satellite. Repeat as necessary until it locks on to the correct satellite.

This is all in standard definition and you would need a whole different system if you wanted to get high definition TV. Also the antenna delivers the signal on only one coax so you cannot watch live TV on one channel while recording on another. But you can still watch prerecorded programs while recording a live broadcast.

We've used it this way for more than a week and have no problems and no desire to change anything. I will say that we had a strong wind last Friday and I "stowed" the rooftop dish antenna because it was getting buffeted about enough to cause some pixilation.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have about the operation of the Datron system. By the way, while Datron may still be active in the automation industry, the TV antenna business is gone.

FWIW

On edit: While I cannot test this, theoretically the Datron 3000 works with Dish/Echostar too. There are a couple of Echostar-compatible IRD's shown in the manual. I think "compatible" in the cases of both the DIRECTV and DISH IRD's is the feedback data loop cable that enables fully automatic satellite acquisition. The semi-automatic process I described above should work equally well for DISH satellites and DIRECTV's.
Thanks for the information Dave and Cathy. I have been following the conversation on this subject w/ you and others. My situtation is simular to yours as I have basically the same set up as you discribe. I am trying to replace an old Hughs DSS receiver w/ a new Direct TV receiver. The new receiver doesn't have a 9 or 15 pin data port as you know. I find however that the Datron 3000 300 dish control won't work w/o the Hughs receiver being hooked up to it through the 15 pin data cable....I also find out there are only 3 pins being used in that 15 pin data port....As you say it must be used only for seeking the signal from the satallite. Another problem w/ my system the Datron 3000 300 controller won't let me change the elevation settings...Any ideas ?
tmgsnascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
tmgsnascar,

If your Datron Antenna Control Unit (ACU) has not failed it should be able to find satellites without the use of a low-speed data port equipped IRD/DVR in the configuration. My ACU did not have a 15 pin data port. It had a 9 pin connector with an adapter that provided a standard RJ11 phone jack. In any case the ACU would still find a satellite - it just might not be the satellite that delivers your programming. In that case just momentarily rock the switch to the "STOW" position and return it to the "VIEW" position and it will move on to the next satellite.

Not sure how the ACU prevents you from entering in the latitude. Mine had two thumbwheel switches that were rotated to a number that corresponded to the latitude of the location of the coach.

You mentioned a new DVR. One thing I discovered when we got a new TiVo enabled DVR for DirecTV is that there was no "RF Out " connector. It only offered HDMI so there was no way to connect the DVR to the TV through the Box Of Many Buttons.

Ultimately I did as Bill Adams suggested and put in an A/B switch and included both the old IRD and a newer DVR as described in the thread in this link.

Datron Thread

It all worked great until the Datron antenna smoked. Then I went to a crank-up. Since then we sold the coach.

I'll try to answer any specific questions you may still have

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Datron dbs-3000-300

I use my Datron 3000 all the time. I have a KVH lm1 that does not work.
I use the directv Satelite finder app that gives me azimuth and elevation. I set the elevation on the Datron control box. I have my Satelite feed from the antenna on a a/b switch. I Kerouac the Datron starved for a signal by keeping the a button pushed. I hit view. As the antenna rotates and approaches the correct azimuth I have my wife hit b. the Datron locks on the signal.
If it misses I hit the a switch then stow. After it rotates past my target I hit view and then the b switch.
The reason the a/b switch works is it will not latch onto the incorrect birds when there is no signal on the coax.

It does take a compass but it's no more trouble that a portable Satelite. It is only SD quality but it works fine for us. Maybe when the wineguard reduces in cost I'll go for an hd

If you need help pm me

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Datron dbs-3000-300

Here is a pic of mine. I'm sure it's like yours. The black label I made. I'm using it in this picture. I turn the power off sometime (like in this photo) to keep it from hunting for a new bird in a rain storm. I'm currently using a r16 DVR. I've also used the r15. Dtv will provide those boxes. I needed those for the coax output to the tv switch. Newer boxes use hdmi outs
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410831067.648833.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	73932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I use my Datron 3000 all the time. I have a KVH lm1 that does not work.
I use the directv Satelite finder app that gives me azimuth and elevation. I set the elevation on the Datron control box. I have my Satelite feed from the antenna on a a/b switch. I Kerouac the Datron starved for a signal by keeping the a button pushed. I hit view. As the antenna rotates and approaches the correct azimuth I have my wife hit b. the Datron locks on the signal.
If it misses I hit the a switch then stow. After it rotates past my target I hit view and then the b switch.
The reason the a/b switch works is it will not latch onto the incorrect birds when there is no signal on the coax.

It does take a compass but it's no more trouble that a portable Satelite. It is only SD quality but it works fine for us. Maybe when the wineguard reduces in cost I'll go for an hd

If you need help pm me

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote