Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #15

I have not had any problems (at least so far) with tuning digital cable output with my HD TVs. The problem is finding the correct channel without the cable company box.

Often I find that guide channel 30 is actually on ch 201.4 or something like that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Well I didn't know how smart I am now. I am informed as to my needs now thanks to this forum.
I just returned from Radio Shack and Best Buy. The tech. people at both places kept insisting that the over the air converter box I have now should work just fine.
They had no clue what clear QAM was . OH well, I believe Fries carries the item I need but not ready for the 25 mile round trip.
I think an order online is the way to go and less expensive to boot.
Thanks to everyone.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Well I didn't know how smart I am now. I am informed as to my needs now thanks to this forum.
I just returned from Radio Shack and Best Buy. The tech. people at both places kept insisting that the over the air converter box I have now should work just fine.
They had no clue what clear QAM was . OH well, I believe Fries carries the item I need but not ready for the 25 mile round trip.
I think an order online is the way to go and less expensive to boot.
Thanks to everyone.
I have to laugh everytime i hear the Radio Shack ad "you've got questions, we've got answers". Whoever wrote that must have never been in a Radio Shack store. Last summer I was in a Radio Shack store in Colorado and asked for a diplexer splitter for my satellite connection. The clerk kept trying to sell me a regular splitter saying it would work. I was about ready to walk out when I noticed down on a lower shelf just exactly what I wanted. When I went to pay for it that same clerk asked me where I found it. I showed him the place on the shelf and he said "now I know what it is and where it is".

Oh, for the good ole days when all we had to do was step out of the back door and turn the pipe that had the TV antenna on it in order to change channel locations. We only got 6-8 channels but even nowadays with 75-150 channels there's not over a dozen or so worth watching, especially if you're not interested in sports.

Hope all our traveling Forum members will keep in touch with us concerning any problems they run into with campground cable usage.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Oh, for the good ole days when all we had to do was step out of the back door and turn the pipe that had the TV antenna on it in order to change channel locations. We only got 6-8 channels but even nowadays with 75-150 channels there's not over a dozen or so worth watching, especially if you're not interested in sports.
Wow. You got that many channels? We had a rotator on the mast on the roof, so we turned the big dial on the controller on top of the tv. Had tape marks for each station, but I think we only got the big three most of the time. And some of them only after dark...
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Completely forgot about that old pipe mast and some sort of a fold up antenna. I was outside twisting and turning and the wife telling me when to stop. To lower it I popped it out of its spring clips and reattached it to lower clips and then had to really watch the bushes and limbs etc.. I tore it off a couple times and dragged it a ways. stopped and snapped it back in. Had a little B&W 12V sitting on a shelf and thought I was really uptown. All this in my 17foot trailer.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #20

Really telling our ages aren't we. The younger bunch probably have no idea what we're talking about nor how much fun we had with those old b/w tvs.

How do you pick just a portion of a Post to quote? Whenever I do a quote I end up doing the whole Post, and a lot of times that's definitely more than I need to do.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Short answer is NO. The subsidized tuner boxes only work for ATSC (Advanced Television Standards Committee) OTA broadcasts, which is not the same as QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation).

If you want one box to do both, you need one like I linked to above. Something that says both QAM and ATSC or HDTV.

But that still doesn't solve the encrypted cable problem that you're going to run into more and more as the cable companies serving the campgrounds encrypt more and more of their channels. There really doesn't appear to be a good solution for that, because there's no way to do a "portable" box you can wire up permanently in the RV.
Here at home I now have to have the cable company's Digital Device box just to get any channel, and they still will charge extra for HBO, Starz, etc. Is this considered encrypting all channels or is it just the ones we'll have to pay extra for, which most of the time I don't care for anyway? And if the cable company encrypts all or none of their channels will the campground have any choice as what to accept? I know we sure don't here at home, it's either use their box or don't watch TV.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Here at home I now have to have the cable company's Digital Device box just to get any channel, and they still will charge extra for HBO, Starz, etc. Is this considered encrypting all channels or is it just the ones we'll have to pay extra for, which most of the time I don't care for anyway? And if the cable company encrypts all or none of their channels will the campground have any choice as what to accept? I know we sure don't here at home, it's either use their box or don't watch TV.
If you need their box to get any channels, then they're encrypting everything.

As someone mentioned upthread, multi-unit customers like RV Parks, hotels, some apartment complexes, etc, can get special equipment installed which provides unencrypted channels to residents in the complex. That needs to be negotiated between the cable company and the customer. If it's too expensive, the RV park might drop cable totally.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. QAM is digital cable. ATSC is OTA. If a TV has a QAM tuner, it can do unencrypted digital cable.

Because most cable companies have encrypted their lineups and no stand alone set will pick up the digital channels.

Also, no gov't box will work with cable at all-period. Think of it this way: If those ota boxes worked with cable, the only way cable companies would see revenue would be through pay channels, internet, and maybe phone...their video offerings would almost go away (except tv through Docsis).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How do you pick just a portion of a Post to quote? Whenever I do a quote I end up doing the whole Post, and a lot of times that's definitely more than I need to do.
When you quote the post and it appears in the Reply box, you can simply highlight the part you don't want and delete.

BE SURE you leave the command language inside the square brackets both beginning and ending the quote... i.e., [QUOTE=xxx;xxxx] and [/ QUOTE] Those are the begin and end quote software commands and they need to stay so the formatting will be correct.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #25

[QUOTE=SarahW;1814359]When you quote the post and it appears in the Reply box, you can simply highlight the part you don't want and delete.

BE SURE you leave the command language inside the square brackets both beginning and ending the quote... i.e.,
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx;xxxx
and [/ QUOTE] Those are the begin and end quote software commands and they need to stay so the formatting will be correct.
Thanks Sarah. Now for the really dumb question, exactly how do you highlight a section and how do you delete what has been highlighted? As you can tell I'm about as sharp on computers as a blunt stick. Occasionally I have accidentially made a section of what I'm typing turn blue then it all disappeared without me even realizing what I've done or what has happened. I then have to retype it. Cars I can handle, with computers I'm a complete dud.
Thanks for bearing with me.

Tags
converter