Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Digital camera or smart phone for Forum pictures

All I have is a flip phone and a 35mm camera. Starting from scratch, which would be the most usable and easiest to post pictures on the Forum or send e-mail, a smart phone or a new digital camera?
Reading the answer to my other Thread it was stated to use the app on a smart phone. But since i have neither a smart phone or digital camera will only one or the other suffice? Or will I need both?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Smartphone would be the most versatile by a long shot. I have pro DSLR equipment but majority of my forum pictures are with my phone.
It is handy and always with me.
The newer smartphones take exceptional pictures for what they are.

And you get email, GPS, many apps etc.....

Steve
Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Smart phone. They all have very good cameras built in, so usually there is no need for a digital camera. Unless you are seriously into photography... but if you were you would not have posed this question!

Smart phones can be linked to your computer so smart phone pics automatically end up on your computer(with Macs it's easy, with PCs harder). A smart phone will change your lifestyle... I was a smart phone holdout for many years, now I realize all the additional functionality it adds. email, photos, RVing, weather radar, Gas Buddy, restaurant searches, etc, etc. I like the iPhone 6, because it has a significantly larger screen and much easier to read... don't go small. I have nice Canon and Nikon 35mms with several lenses, and they are just expensive boat anchors now!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
A smart phone will give you as good a picture as a camera, without the hassle of carrying the camera...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437103697.253968.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	100367

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #5

Being in a larger town visiting relatives this week I had intended to look up a good photo shop and go shopping but with the answers I've received guess I'd better be going to a Verizon store (I am currently using Verizon since they have better coverage in the NW mountains where we vacation mostly.
Appreciate all the great information. I may eventually get dragged into the 21st century technology yet.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
the smart phones are great for landscape, and the auto processing is good.

Where you wish you had a camera is when you need a zoom, (running in front of everyone to get closer with your smart phone is not cool) it's just plain rude. So many times I have suggested a small zoom with at least a 10x zoom (preferably 30x for wildlife) with choices of ISO, manual settings, and scene choices for great pics. Why spend so much money on a vacation and lose out on capturing half of your memories? The newer small cameras are email and Internet ready.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #7

As long as the photos are in an acceptable format, such as ".jpg", it doesn't matter what you took them with. Resolution between an good quality camera and a phone would matter in some cases (like wanting to make high quality prints), but for the internet it doesn't make much difference.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Some smart phones have better cameras than others, so take that into consideration. My smartphone takes ok pictures, nothing I would brag about.

There are some digital cameras that have wifi built into them, and will automatically synch and load your pics right on your laptop, wirelessly. That makes it pretty easy to then post photos.

Another option is an Android based smart phone, coupled with the Photobucket app.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #9

I, too only use my iPhone 6. here is an example:lClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437140814.635106.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	100389h
tk369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use Picasa 3 to edit and store my pics, and can upload to it from the I-Phone or the digital camera. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Likely your old flip phone.. I'm serious.. THOUGH this forum seems to work with Dropbox and that is included on most Android smart devices.

The problem... The phone manufacturers seem to think folks wish to use 'em as cameras (Well.... Head-Smack, don't they) so they make the cameras sharper and sharper (more MegaPixels) this makes the file sizes larger and LARGER and LARGER!!!!!! Which causes issues.

Same with the Digital cameras.

I have one forum where I can upload photos direct to the forum database.. But I have to shrink them to like 25% original file size to get 'em to post.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

I have had an Android based phone for years. Well a few months back my new work provided me with an IPhone6. Wow. The pictures it takes are pretty remarkable for a phone.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I have had an Android based phone for years. Well a few months back my new work provided me with an IPhone6. Wow. The pictures it takes are pretty remarkable for a phone.

Agree. The newer iPhones are very good cameras. I have been wanting a camera to have the longer zoom, but hard to justify because the iPhone does the job a large percentage of the time and does it quite well. And with its connectivity it's so easy to share, post, etc the pictures.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IPhone 6 for sure. 6plus is too large for my comfort. My laptop is turned off 99.9% of the time. Heck, most times I leave it at home when we're RVing. I do banking, GPSing, emailing, texting, Googling, & photos with my iPhone. There's an app for every need.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, forum