Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

digital/hd "jack" type antenna's

Currently I have the wingard wind up antenna on my motorhome and have a very difficult time trying to pull in any OTA channels. Thinking about removing what I have and install the jack antenna or something similiar. Would like some input from anyone who has made the switch as I want you to do and what you may recommend. I have direct tv satellite and because of my old analog type dish they will not provide local channels (abc,nbc,etc.). Thanks
daniel68509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I assume you mean true "locals" rather than "network feeds". I think you can get the DNS feed in SD from the 101 sat, which is the only one you get with the round dish.

Are you sure the antenna booster/switch is on? If it's not, your TV is probably connected to the park cable input rather than the antenna. Also, what kind of TVs do you have? Have you upgraded to digital (ATSC) TVs or are you using a converter box? Lastly, make sure your TV is set to the right input (OTA digital, not analog or cable).
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
KIX

Do you have the Wingman addition on your Winegard crank up OTA antenna? WE added it and it improved OTA reception for us.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Winegard with the Wingman will out perform the Jack and other such antennas. It does make the antenna a bit more directional.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #5

I program the tv automatically for local OTA channels and during the programming it will detect some channels. However, when I attempt to watch them on the TV, they don't come up. I have the booster on and operating and I have a Winegard Amplified Video Distribution Switch where I can control if I'm going to use the local cable, antenna, or satellite. Sometimes I can try to rotate the antenna and may luckily find one or two. I've tried using the AntennaPoint web site but that doesn't work either. So I'm of the thought that I should try a different antenna which has a signal strength meter such as the Jack antenna. If you are speaking about bird-type wings as the Wingman on the antenna yes they are there.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Where exactly are you right now?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

I am at Port St. Lucie, Florida currently.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #8

I had a Jack on my 87 Allegro and loved it. Mounted it to the old crank up and had reception anytime I wasn't barried in the trees. Great picture. I currently have the plain Winegard with no booster and can get a few channels if I'm not in trees. If I did change I would go to the Jack that is the mounted unit and signal booster (about $150). Not sure if I will do that this year.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The Winegard with the Wingman will out perform the Jack and other such antennas.
Your source for this statement?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel68509 View Post
Currently I have the wingard wind up antenna on my motorhome and have a very difficult time trying to pull in any OTA channels.
I replaced my batwing top with a Jack and noticed no difference either way. However, the Jack does take up less space and weighs less I believe.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the original Wingman, and the Winegard distribution center with the built in signal booster. I do not have any problem receiving OTA signals.

Saying that I would suspect that somewhere in the system of antenna, cables, switches, etc., you have a problem and if you put another antenna in place it will eliminate the antenna as a problem but if still not working it is somewhere "in-line."

Simple process of elimination may be in store. Borrow a distribution center if need be and trouble shoot the cable and antenna system.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Your source for this statement?
With our Sensar IV we were parked right next to a fellow with a Jack antenna. I could pick up 50% more stations than he could. We swapped TVs and he still could not get all of the stations that I could. Part of getting a good signal is antenna height and the other part is the size of the antenna.

Do a Google search for homemade HDTV antennas and you will find all sorts of post about building one with a 2 x 4 and wire coat hangers. Add a $20 booster and you are set. Of course it is not pretty and a bit harder to deploy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
With our Sensar IV we were parked right next to a fellow with a Jack antenna. I could pick up 50% more stations than he could. We swapped TVs and he still could not get all of the stations that I could. Part of getting a good signal is antenna height and the other part is the size of the antenna.

Do a Google search for homemade HDTV antennas and you will find all sorts of post about building one with a 2 x 4 and wire coat hangers. Add a $20 booster and you are set. Of course it is not pretty and a bit harder to deploy.

Ken
Don't intend to go off topic and this may be moved, but.

I worked night time security at an RV dealership "out in the sticks." I wanted to watch TV while at work so did some research. I built several of those "coat hanger antennas" using various designs and materials. They work very well but are definitely directional.

The best performing design/materials I came up with was a 36" Firestick CB antenna into a 1/2" PVC coupler onto a length of 1/2" conduit. Ran an 18" length of 1/8" solid wire thru the PVC coupler as a radial (don't know why, just did it) Installed a 75 ohm transformer to the CB antenna and radial. This "built on a whim with parts laying on the bench antenna" out performs my Winegard and Jack powered antennas.

I say this to give do-it-yourselfers some ideas. Maybe pop-up and slide-in owners can use this design?
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote