Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Digital TV Signal Converters

Hey all,

Recently picked up a motorcoach that has two analog TVs in it. At present, I plan to keep those TVs and just get a signal converter. I've never dealt with these converters before and could use some help or advice.

All I'm looking to do is use my OTA antenna as well as plug into a campground's cable system when available.

Can a single converter box handle both? I did some looking online and found a couple that speak to OTA, but I got the idea that they couldn't handle two different inputs.

I'm lost. Someone please school me.

Thanks,
Ed
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

I haven't done it yet (we don't watch TV that much) but I understand the converter has to be the last thing in line to the TV for watching OTA digital transmissions. Each time you set up, you have to let the converter scan for OTA stations.

Cable systems are a real mish-mash. We have Comcast at the S&B and each TV set has its own converter. Comcast's digital signal is completely different that OTA digital.

In most cases, campgrounds have a master converter so that what shows up at your site is either the old-fashioned NTSC analog signal or the analog HD equivalent, so that can go directly to your TV through the inputs for VCR.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

The converter is designed to be at each TV. You change channels by pointing the new remote at the new box so if you want to change channels in the bedroom and the converter is up front you can have issues. If you can get by with one converter then I suggest that you buy a Winegard Sensar Pro and install that in conjunction with the converter. In this case the power from the antenna moves to the Sensar Pro, the TV output loops to the converter box and you plug the converter box right back into your video control center and everything works just as it did before you installed the converter (digital TV to any TV in the coach). The other option is to disconnect the VCR option from the VCC and use the input/output for your converter box.
If you want 2 different OTA channels on 2 different TV's at the same time then you must have 2 converter boxes and you will want to install each near the intended TV's. Be sure the converter box(es) you buy have an Analog Pass-Through option to allow the rest of the things in the coach to remain working.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally (last year) I'd have just said "NO" but today times have changed. Somewhat.

Two scenaros: 1: you have the box of many buttons that selects the video source for each television independent of the other.

Place your SINGLE converter in front of the VCR (or in place of it) select VCR for the televisions and ANT for the VCR and leave the VCR turned off. It is that simple.

Ant--Switch box---Converter--VCR--Switch box===Televisions.

IF you have the more common wall plate with 12 volt outlet, switch, light and antenna connection then you might wish to upgrade that wall plate to SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter Or another like it.. I THOUGHT I saw one a while ago that had output/input for the digital converter, thought this was it, Thought wrong it seems.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Guys, thanks so much for your input. There is some good stuff in this thread that makes my head hurt. This stuff used to be easy for me to figure out, but that was a number of years ago. I quit chasing technology around 2000 and have since fallen completely through the cracks.

For clarification, here is what I have:

It's in a 2005 model-year Newmar.

That open top shelf is where the previous owner had his satellite decoder. I don't know yet if I'm going to go the Dish route or not. At a minimum, what I am trying to do here is an interim measure..possibly permanent.

Please clarify if I understand this correctly...if a campground has a master converter, I should be able to simply plug into their line and be good-to-go?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #6

We have the same Winegard box.

If you hook up to campground cable and everything is wired correctly all you need to do is push the Cable TV button for Main TV and TV2. Do not turn the press the Power button to turn the Winegard ON.

Turn your TV and go to setup. Find the section for Incoming Signal and select Cable.

Sit back and enjoy.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

If you ever want to watch any kind of TV from the Winegard "Batwing" antenna mounted on your roof then you MUST have a converter box in order to view anything on your analog TV's.
Satellite will work fine and campground cable should as well. The last time I hooked up to cable they had both Digital and analog so I don't know if/when cable will become digital.
By the way, your picture is of the Winegard Video Control Center (VCC) I mentioned in my post, however, it is an amplified unit and requires that 12V power remain connected for the amplifier to work. I have found that in most cases the amplified model is over-kill and often causes a degradation of the signal. You can try the various input options with and without the 12V wire plugged into the back to see which way works best. If you use the VCR connection to the converter box you must leave the 12V power connected to that box as it supplies power to the Batwing antenna as well.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The campground may have commercial cable (Which will work just fine) but it's not a "Master converter" as you call it, those cost several thousand of dollars.

The photo shows two very important thigns.. In my earlier post scenaro 1 I spoke of a "Box of many buttons" that is in the photo.

The other is the combo VCR/DVD directly below it.

So in your case a converter WITH ANALOG PASS THROUGH placed "in front of" the VCR, and the VCR left off, but VCR selected for all TV's and you get exactly what you want.

'Not only that but if you are out to dinner, the VCR (Tuned to chan 3 or 4 depending on the setting of your converter box) can record the latest unreality show, or CSI or whatever for you while you dine for later playback. Assuming it's not a Zenith that is. (Sorry, I don't much like anything made by LG, never had one that worked right and that includes the Zenith VCR they stuck in this rig at the factory)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
OK, I think I got this now. Thanks so much. Y'all are great.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know how it turns out.. And if you have any trouble I"m in estern mid-lower Michigan for the summer.. Will hit Georgia in October then South Carolina in November.