Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
You must still be within a few hundred miles of Houston. W4RLR's comment was referring to travel outside your home spot beam location.
So you're saying that, with a Slimline dish, I can watch Houston local channels anywhere in the US?? Well, live and learn, I guess - I've only been a DirecTV customer/user since 1996.

Rusty

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Not trying to hijack this thread, but researching Dish's Tailgater (on their website) might be a solution for some.

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley, WA

Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
So you're saying that, with a Slimline dish, I can watch Houston local channels anywhere in the US?? Well, live and learn, I guess - I've only been a DirecTV customer/user since 1996.

Rusty
No, that's not what I'm saying. Read it again.

joe
Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying. Read it again.

"You must still be within a few hundred miles of Houston. W4RLR's comment was referring to travel outside your home spot beam location."
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
If you want high definition from anywhere, or local channels and your local channels are anyplace other than New York City or Los Angeles, you need a Slimline dish.
I just did and didn't come up with anything different. No specific location is alluded to. So, what are you saying?

Rusty
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:

Rusty

Do you know what a spot beam is?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Do you know what a spot beam is?
Ummm....yes, I do. That's why I asked the question. Some of the previous posters (see my post just above) seemed to be hinting that Houston local channels (not just East Coast or West Coast feeds) were available OUTSIDE my spot beam range. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how that's possible just because I might be using a Slimline dish.

Rusty
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #21

I don't think it has anything to do with your Dish. It's about how far you are from your home address. Reception of your home local ch. extend out maybe a couple hundred miles regardless of the type of antenna being used. Let's say your local area is LA and you are traveling north. You will receive your local LA ch. until you cross into the SF market at which point you will lose your LA locals.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
That's why I said read it again. W4RLR's post says that the spot beamed locals are on 99/103, so you need a Slimline to get them. And you need a Slimline to get ANY HD.

There might be SOME spot beam locals on 101. In which case you wouldn't need a Slimline, just the old round dish. Maybe Houston is in that category. Your post implied you were getting locals on your round dish, and I was saying that if you are, you must have been close to home.

joe
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Ummm....yes, I do. That's why I asked the question. Some of the previous posters (see my post just above) seemed to be hinting that Houston local channels (not just East Coast or West Coast feeds) were available OUTSIDE my spot beam range. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how that's possible just because I might be using a Slimline dish.

Rusty
Do you mean the posters that say you can get local channels by moving your service address?
They mean the local channels where you move your service address to.
If you go to Seattle, you get Seattle local channels.
You will never get Huston local channels once you leave Huston spot beam.
And I do think you need to have a Slimline dish to get HD and local
channels in other spot beams because different areas use different satellites.
A Slimline dish with the proper LNB gets all satellites.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with your Dish. It's about how far you are from your home address. Reception of your home local ch. extend out maybe a couple hundred miles regardless of the type of antenna being used. Let's say your local area is LA and you are traveling north. You will receive your local LA ch. until you cross into the SF market at which point you will lose your LA locals.
I agree with you in general Dave but would just add a data point.

The actual mileage from your stick house which you can travel and still pick up the spot beam of local channels can actually be pretty wide. I have had a lot of experience traveling on the west coast. When my stick house was in the Sacramento area (~100 miles north/east of SF) I could pick up my local channels as far south as Bakersfield and as far north as Vancouver Washington. That covers well over 1000 miles if my geography is at all in the ball park. IMO it's determined much more by the technology in place and less by the specific market boundaries.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #25

Rick, you are right; I was using the 200 mile radius as kind of a ballpark #. We use the Dish Network and I know that we still get our locals traveling north from LA in San Luis Obispo (about 275 mi) but lose them before San Jose(about 400mi). Going east we will lose our locals before we get to phoenix ( about 325 mi) So, it might vary according to your home market? Are Dish parameters different than Direct?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Are Dish parameters different than Direct?

Don't really know Dave. That's a good question.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
So, it might vary according to your home market? Are Dish parameters different than Direct?
Yes, it varies based on the satellite transponder design and the geometry of the line between the satellite and the spot beam aim point. There are a few sites that show the beam coverage. For instance, go to SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint AMC 1 (GE 1) / AMSC 1 (MSAT 2) / Directv 10 / Directv 12 (RB-2A) / Spaceway 1 (Spaceway F1) which is the 103 position where most of DirecTV's spot beams are. Then select the A1B5 map icon. That's the Houston spot beam. Compare the shape to A3B1, which is the Boston beam.

You could then look at the DirecTV sats, which are 110/119/129, I think. I think most of the spot beams are on 129, at least for the western US. They use a different sat for east coast spots, not sure which one.

joe
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #28

DirecTV birds are 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. All HD is on the 99, 101, and 103, nothing on the 110, and some SD Locals and SonicTap Music on the 119. That is just for regular CONUS programming. Foreign channels and private channels may be there too.