Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilervol View Post
I pay the $15 for dns which the DW likes so she never has to change the dvr programming. Before I got dns I used a campground address outside of New York City. The NY feeds can be received around the country.
What is dns? I have Dish & I just give them a zip code, no address to get my locals, but I hate the reprogramming of the dvr.
BarbSibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #44

Dish operates different then Directv
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bum View Post
I agree with Dutch Star Don
That was big help....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #46

DNS equals Distant Network Service - channels are CA and NY. Not available for Dish.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #47

Thank you, never heard of it. I have to pay for locals at my home base, so I make sure I set up at my new location, but hate the reprogramming of my DVR. I'll check on it for Dish. Thanks
BarbSibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
There was no letter, I don't know where you got that info. I talked with them on the telephone. ATT Direct TV has a new policy and don't allow any movement of local chanells. Also Distant network chanells are no longer available.
They just told me that DNS is available and only if you apply and meet the qualifications so different feed back?

The Directv extra plan works great for us since we don't care about the home local channels when traveling but get the local channels where we are camped over the air or on the park cable

Cost is reasonable since we have 4 locations in service for the same price
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #49

So very true and then some. Have meet all the qualifications since 2012 and they still took it away from us
Old 04-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #50

So much misinformation - for those that want over the air channels through the receivers there is a local channel connector (LCC) available from DirecTV. Normally is is available only to subscribers who have lost the local channel feed due to contract negotiations, but if you have a mobile account you can order a LCC. As for DNS (distance network service), it has been and is still available for mobile accounts. I have has my DNS + PBS for 14 years. Also if you look at your My DirecTV account and the my billing address - below that is my service address. If you have a mobile account, then there is a edit button on the service address. You can change your service to where you want in the CONUS and then refresh you receiver.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #51

Are you talking about the USB Antenna Connecter on a HR44? that has not been available for about 3 years. What should my address be if I live full time in a RV?
Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
Are you talking about the USB Antenna Connecter on a HR44? that has not been available for about 3 years. What should my address be if I live full time in a RV?
Toms River, NJ. 08732

I use that and get the NY Networks everywhere.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #53

Are you saying you have a USB antenna connected to a HR44 receiver? I lived in Rutherford, NJ right on Highway 3.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
Are you saying you have a USB antenna connected to a HR44 receiver? I lived in Rutherford, NJ right on Highway 3.
No antenna needed. The networks come in on the high 390 channels and 2,4,5 and 7.

I'm still using a D11 receiver. Worked on my marine, M10 receiver last time I fired it up.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Changing locals worked when we got home a week ago. Talked to Tech Support 3-32-2019, and she did not mention that. There are markets where no Standard Definition channels are going to work, because the sats are falling out of the sky and new ones are all HD, so some of your equipment will have to be upgraded. This is going to happen over the next few years. Assume 5G is hasting this trend. Was going to update phone, now going to wait until 5G comes out because it will require a new phone anyway to work. Supposedly, everything is going to change concerning ISP's, Satellite TV, and cell/home phone networks.

As an aside, when hooking up DTV equipment, put the coax cable on the antenna terminal FIRST, then hook up the power cable, as unit is coming on, it will check to determine what satellite dish is provided and auto tune the receiver for that dish antenna type. If SWM is needed it will tell you (H-24-yes, newer receivers have it built in) and no little black box needed. They have also come out with new cable ends which keep the connection watertight, any good sat store can most likely sell them to you. It takes a special "satellite capable Splitter" to branch the cable signal to work in more than one spot if your wiring is split and not into a common splitter. We never watch TV in bedroom, so never worried about this before, might now with new MH coming.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #56

Locals seem to be 3 - 20 and u are getting DNS. This seems to be a very specific topic, this is the RV world we live him. I received a e-mail that they will be turning on my DNS that I lost last September, however I will not count my chickens till they hatch.