Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The MArch 2009 Trailer Life magazine has an ad on page 16 from Direct Tv that goes something like this:
DirectTV for home and Rv, free dish for RV, travel tripod, cable and remote for RV, DNS included. Free installation in home but not RV. Usual packages of programs and remotes for home offered. Usual three month freebies.

Any comments?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
paz

This ad is NOT from DirectTV, but it is some sort of affiliate called Direct SAT TV. The travel tripod they give you is an inexpensive, heavy type that is meant for permanent roof-top installation on a stick house. The tripod is difficult to adjust. I threw mine out and bought my own.

Also, if DNS is included, you are looking at separate contracts for the home and the RV. The satellite companies are not allowed to provide DNS unless you have no local TV stations or unless your receiver is located exclusively in an RV or over-the-road truck.

IMO, if you want sat TV in both your home and RV, you are better off just having DirectTV install it in your house, then buy an aftermarket tripod (Bulls-Eye is one brand that comes to mind, but Camping World also sells a couple of models, and I have also seen plans for a home-made unit that sits low to the ground), buy a second dish with dual LNBs from someplace like eBay, and transfer your home receiver to the RV when you travel. The drawback is you won't have the 4 major broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) when you are in your RV, but with local broadcasts going digital, you should be able to get good reception of local stations with your bat wing antenna.

If you want DirectTV only in your RV, pick up a receiver at Best Buy and install it yourself. You could call DirectTV for installation, but most installers will not install in an RV. Some will do it if it is very easy. For example, if they can use your existing cable hook-up for satellite service, they may consider doing the installation. If you call DirectTV for installation, have your tripod available for them because they will likely only have a wall mount in their truck. If DirectTV comes and refuses to do the installation in your RV, ask them to leave the dish and LNB (and even some cable if he is willing) for you to do the installation yourself. DirectTV service includes free "standard" installation (which usually excludes RVs) and a dish with dual LNBs.

Satellite TV seems very complicated if you're a newbee. Things like aiming the dish and activating the service can seem very daunting the first time; but it really isn't too hard, especially if it is for standard (non-HD) service. There is only 1 satellite to aim for, and once you know how, it's fairly easy to hit. Once the dish is aimed, just call the toll-free number they give you with the receiver, give them the serial numbers of the receiver and card, and tell them what plan you want.

The other advantage to buying the receiver yourself is DirectTV will give you credit of $4.99 a month for the lease fee. It will cost you $50 or $60 for a standard receiver or $100 for a DVR, but the credit will pay that off in less than 2 years.

If the installation is exclusively in your RV, you can apply for DNS yourself. There is a form available and I have even seen a fax number published somewhere that will likely get you faster service. Try using the "Find" button at the top of the posts and type in "DNS."

PS: Whatever you decide to do, consider a DVR instead of a standard receiver. The DVR has totally changed the way we watch TV (we hardly ever watch anything live and can fast-forward through all the commercials) and is definitely worth the extra cost.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact Direct TV for info and make sure you verify with a second call. Many of their support people are poorly trained.

After reading Paz comment, I have to say you have some bad info. I have had DNS on 2 of my receivers for 5 years.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
THank you paz. You are right. For a newbee it's overwhelming. We have had cable at home for years. I can turn a wrench with the best of them but this satellite thing is getting the best of me. As you can imagine I still have the big TV in the front but did up grade to a flat screen in the bedroom. Retirement this fall and the digital transition will force us do to something as we will be spending much more time on the road. Just not sure what. There appears to be no simple answer but your explanation has helped.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bdaball,

Hi Bill--- If you get the DVR from DirecTv, it requires two input feeds from your LNB. One is to watch current programing and the second is to record other programming. They have two seperate receivers built into the one box.

Come and see me in the "Haaaba" in late May and we'll go over my set up-- I got it all, except the DVR (I have that in the stick home)-- I could add it to the RV, and maybe someday will.

I don't think you'll be happy with a ground mounted tri-pod if you travel and stay on the move a lot in retirement. I got tired of in one trip trying to set it up at night in the rain, for over an hour---(I couldn't see that dadgum big tree blocking the signal!). I do carry an extra dish, tripod, and 200 feet of cable in case of an "emergency".

Have you gotten the bay door repaired yet?

If you folks don't know what the "Haaaba" is click on the lobster fisherman here, turn up the sound and listen closely-- you'll love it
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by bdaball:
There appears to be no simple answer but your explanation has helped.
There is a simple solution, and this is what I did.

In 2001 I dropped my home cable and subscribed to DirecTV. I also subscribed to the RV Distant Network Service. When traveling I placed my 2 home receivers in the motorhome. I had a roof satellite dish on my MH and also carried a portable $100 dish I purchased from Camping World for times when I was blocked by trees, which only happened once or twice.

We now have another motorhome with an automatic roof dish and I now have 4 receivers, 2 for home and 2 for the coach.

I'm not changing any of my TVs to High Definition.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Tks, Max, I'll take you up on that offer. I was there just this week. Kinda quite. That means your coming back?
Just remember, when you are here, you and Cindy are the one that talks funny!