Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bill,

This is our first long trip away from home, from NH to Myrtle Beach SC. I've allways been able to get all my local stations. No luck down here, called DTV and asked them what was up, the girl had less of a clue than I did. I wanted to get the network east channels, I wanted to pay for them, Nope can't do it, Hmmmm the only real problem was I had to watch the Pats game on the Sunday Ticket screen with 8 other games, what do you have to do to get the network stations where ever you are?

Thanks

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bill,

This is our first long trip away from home, from NH to Myrtle Beach SC. I've allways been able to get all my local stations. No luck down here, called DTV and asked them what was up, the girl had less of a clue than I did. I wanted to get the network east channels, I wanted to pay for them, Nope can't do it, Hmmmm the only real problem was I had to watch the Pats game on the Sunday Ticket screen with 8 other games, what do you have to do to get the network stations where ever you are?

Thanks

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #3

Network TV programming from DirecTV and Dish Network is spot-beamed as well as being on different satellites than the standard 101 satellite. You simply cannot get your local Network programming once you drive outside the local beam or if you are using an antenna with one LNB even if you are inside that beam.
If you would like to be able to receive the Network programming (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) from NY and LA you can download, fill out and send in the DNS waiver (Distant Network Services) and you should be able to pick up these programs on channels 380-389 once the service is activated.
You cannot have one receiver at home getting local and another in the RV getting DNS. If you want to do this then you have to pay full price for 2 completely separate services.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I subscribe to Direct TV. My home channels are Phoenix area. I have one LNB and receive DNS AND my local stations if within about 350 miles. DNS only otherwise.

I do NOT have separate service for home and RV receivers and I have 5 receivers, all one service, all one bill. I have 2 in the RV and one is permanently used that way. When we travel, I grab the one from the office and put it in the back bedroom.

All receivers are non-HD and all work on Sat 101.

Works like a champ for us.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm a long time DirecTV user and, like Hamguy, have no problems leaving a receiver in the MH though we only have two receivers on our DTV. Ours are also not HD.

My curiosity on this thread is about Sunday Ticket. I guess I assumed this was a Nationwide program and used all DTV channels to deliver it, not local spot beamed ones. Maybe I was mislead by how expensive the service is. My neighbor has it so I've seen the 8 channel "panel". What I think I hear is that Sunday Ticket is different depending on where you are in the country? Can that be? How does it actually work?

Just Curious.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #6

There are always going to be a few folks who have accounts that are improperly setup such as yours where both local and DNS are allowed. However, that does not change the fact that this is not what new users will experience when trying to get their accounts working.
Additionally, a few local markets may still receive local programming from the 101 satellite but that also is an extremely rare occurrence.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
I'm a long time DirecTV user and, like Hamguy, have no problems leaving a receiver in the MH though we only have two receivers on our DTV. Ours are also not HD.

My curiosity on this thread is about Sunday Ticket. I guess I assumed this was a Nationwide program and used all DTV channels to deliver it, not local spot beamed ones. Maybe I was mislead by how expensive the service is. My neighbor has it so I've seen the 8 channel "panel". What I think I hear is that Sunday Ticket is different depending on where you are in the country? Can that be? How does it actually work?

Just Curious.

Charlie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way it works around home is your local game that is on the network will not be on it's own channel, you have to watch it on the network. Not a problem. This past weekend being down here in Myrtle Beach and not having DNS when I tried to catch the Pats game it was blacked out on the Ticket and the local cable here didn't have the game. Fox had the double hitter this weekend and they had the Dallas game. I was still happy to see the Pats on the 8 game screen in HD. I had the same problem with the Race, but I have Hot Pass also and they have the network broadcast in HD on 799 so I was good to go. I could have caught that on the local cable channel in SD but as I have said before I'm an HD addic. Thanks Bill for the explaination.

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when I tried to catch the Pats game it was blacked out on the Ticket and the local cable here didn't have the game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the part that boggles my mind. If you are paying for Sunday Ticket, how can a critical game be "blacked out"??? I guess that I always assumed that all of those channels that I couldn't get carried those games for a Nation-wide audience. DNS should have nothing to do with it, or at least, so I thought. I agree that you wouldn't be able to follow any of your local games on local channels because you are out of range. I guess I just assumed that all of the NFL games on the Sunday Ticket were "geography immune."

Color me surprised......
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote