Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #1

Direct TV and local stations

Just found out we have to file an application via snail mail to change local stations to our current location using Direct TV. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Just found out we have to file an application via snail mail to change local stations to our current location using Direct TV. Has anyone else run into this issue?
When we travel out of range of our DirecTV local station broadcasts we watch local stations wherever we happen to stop via the Winegard batwing TV antenna on our coach.
Mel
'96 Safari, (with a roof top KingDome and a batwing)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Where did you get this information? I have been told all I have to do is call and change service address.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

You may want to try a search on this forum. The issue has been discussed at length.

You live in So. Cal. area and I would think your CBS,NBC, ABC and FOX are 2,4,7,11 respectively for you right now. Those follow you all across the US. Local locals (5,9,13) disappear when you are about 200 miles from LA. As said before, you can use your batwing for locals where you are.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
What they are talking about is DNS (Distant Network Service) where you can receive the east and west coast feeds of the major networks anywhere you travel. There is an additional fee for the service and only DirecTV has it. As others said, you can notify them to change your service area to wherever you are, but don't change your billing address. When you do that, you will no longer receive your local stations at your home billing address and only receive the local stations for where you are currently.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Current DNS users only receive an east OR west feed and it is determined by your billing address. Even if you have the west coast feds and are on the east coast that is what you will receive. This is for your major netweork s a such as ABC, CBS etc

You should be able to find the form on line, fill it our and fax it to them. Your service will usually come on in less than 48 hours.

Only us oldies have both feeds as we were grand fathered in about 5 years ago.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
paz

It should be noted you can only get DNS if your account is registered to your RV, not to a home address. You can only get DNS at a residential address if you are in a remote area where local stations are unavailable (not very many places because the spot beam for locals usually covers an area about 150-200 miles from the city where the stations originate).

If you are using a receiver from your home, the best way to go for locals is to change your service address as has been suggested. However, while Dish will reportedly do this numerous times with no problems, Direct sometimes starts to balk after several changes.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to be late but we've been traveling. When we arrived in Southern California this past Spring and, due to the mountains, we could not receive any OTA signals. I called DTV Technical Support and asked for "local channel" access. I gave them the address of our location and within a minute I had the local SoCal channels. They reminded me to call again to revert the signals to our home.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

Post Forum Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
You should be able to find the form on line, fill it our and fax it to them. Your service will usually come on in less than 48 hours.
Actually there is a "Sticky" at the top of this forum subject area for DirecTV DNS application forms.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/direc...rms-53394.html.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think there may be a little confusion here.

There are two methods of getting your local channels when you travel outside your local area.

First, you can call Direct TV and ask them to change your "service address" to where you are at the time. You will have to call them again when you get back home to change this back.

Secondly, there is DNS, which I don't know a lot about, but understand that you can pay extra for this and be able to get your local channels no matter where your are, without calling them.

I suspect that the OP was given info on setting up DNS.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

There is a third way. Procure and install an AM21N receiver to hook up between RV OTA receiver and your DirecTV receiver. This provides OTA reception with the added benefit of DirecTV menu and capability to record local stations where ever you are.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
There is a third way. Procure and install an AM21N receiver to hook up between RV OTA receiver and your DirecTV receiver. This provides OTA reception with the added benefit of DirecTV menu and capability to record local stations where ever you are.

WOW! Thanks Bob! I never knew that existed! Looks like it's around $200, but would be cheaper than continuing to pay for DNS. Below is a writeup I found on it.

How to Get HDTV Local Channels "Off Air" with DirecTV
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think there may be a little confusion here.

There are two methods of getting your local channels when you travel outside your local area.

First, you can call Direct TV and ask them to change your "service address" to where you are at the time. You will have to call them again when you get back home to change this back.

Secondly, there is DNS, which I don't know a lot about, but understand that you can pay extra for this and be able to get your local channels no matter where your are, without calling them.

I suspect that the OP was given info on setting up DNS.
I dont believe that the channels that you get with DNS are "local" channels, but are national network feeds.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #14

You say wow! I say wow look at that price! I bought one last year for $56.00!