Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of good info here.

Any chance you could post either a block diagram or
some photos of your RV set up?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
SWM is a scheme where the LNB sends eight discreet channels to the home via one cable. The channels are then distributed to up to eight tuners after split via approved green label splitters. DVR's have two tuners so they take two channels coming to them via one cable. Newer receivers support SWM. 25's and above are SWM only.

DECA is a scheme where Ethernet is carried over RG-6 cabling and even RG-59. It is used to share recorded programming via Ethernet between DVRs and receivers. Newer receivers can support this feature with the addition of DECA boxes. 24's and above have it built-in. An addition DECA box inserted into a home's broadband Internet wiring via the router, switch, or WiFi allows VOD content, streaming video from compliant devices, Pandora, and YouTube.

This and the post above are very abbreviated versions.

I do HD via SWM ground mount. I use an SL3 LNB, a "Dish" 1000.2 reflector, a modded arm, a DirecTV Phase III mast assembly, affixed to a TV4RV.com HD Tripod with a folding arm mod. I string one RG-6 to the PI ODU terminal (21v approved power inserter) and another RG-6 from the IRD terminal to the IRD, aka DirecTV HR20-100. I then feed HD TV's via HDMI through an HDCP compliant splitter/amp. I use an HR20 because they will tune and record OTA broadcast stations. Newer boxes require and AM21n add-on to that. $50 and more space taken.

Simple as snot IF you know what works and what won't.

A Trav'ler can be converted to SWM by use of a SWM8 gizmo.

Most roof mounts will do DrecTV SD programming. One just has to tell them to do that. I pay for HD so i am going to do HD. I think SD sucks. Like going to back to black and white.

For those just starting out, if you have a sticks and bricks install, copy that dish for dish, LNB for LNB, wire for wire, gizmo for gizmo. Once you have that working on the road, then you can start experimenting. For example, you may need an SL5 LNB at home because your Locals are on it. A few hundred miles from home you'll lose them anyway, so why not travel with a smaller SL3. Even if you are non-SWM at home (older install) with four cables from the dish, you can still do one cable SWM on the road. Just need to know how to switch the box settings.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Great info, thanks.

The diagram in the link does not show the HR34 Genie.
Would the dish and wiring be the same for it?

Also, it shows a router. Is this Sat set-up also providing
internet? I would assume that would be an additional
contract with DirecTV, correct?
The HR34 is installed the same as any other receiver, but you MUST have an SWM setup (like the HR24 or H25). The HR34 will not work without SWM.

The setup shown is NOT providing internet. The receiver is connected to your router so that it can use the internet (instead of a phone line) for checking in with DirecTV. If you have high speed internet, you can also get video on demand from DirecTV. There is no way to get internet service from DirecTV.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 answers One of them expensive.

First; There is no splitter.

IF the antenna (Dish or dome) s capable of operating more than one receiver at a time, THEN depending on the specific service and antenna you have there might be.. It may also cost ... A lot It also matters if it's direcHDTV, direcTV or DISHnetwork. (Fairly easy to split Dish and possible though costly with DirecTV, DirecHDTV I do not know).

now if your intent is to run TWO satellite receivers (you said two TV's) and the antenna is a dual, (Meaning it can run two (or more) receivers) run a 2nd cable is easiest. or you can stack and de-stack on a dome. (Expensive)

IF you simply want to run two TV's with one Sat receiver (Both watching same program) then if the sat receiver has RV out, easy. Most motor homes are set up that way already, IF it has only HDMI and/or A/V out.

You can feed a modulator and ship RV to the rear, or you can split and feed the Higher quality signal to the rear, See yoru high end television store fof hardware needed
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I want to install (or have installed) a DirecTV HD DVR system.

Would like to be able to watch two different channels at once on two TV's.

Would also like to be able to record more than two programs at the same time. I think this means the HR 34, AKA Genie.

I understand that to get all of the above I need a Winegard Traveller HD dish. Are there other antennas
that would work with the Genie?

I would like to do the install myself both to learn more and save $$.
Any of you done that?

Here is a link I found...

DirecTV SWM 8 and SWM 5 Multiswitch Information
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
You can either go with an HR-34 and either an H-25 or a C-31 on the other TV. You'll need a SWM setup, which requires the Trav'ler plus the SWM kit, or an SWM capable antenna from RFMogul. Or roll your own SWM antenna with the MoSat one and an SWM (no kit from MoSat, and there are other consideration there as well).

Installing an automatic roof antenna requires some pretty good experience with RV work, plus the ability to run cables and install good (compression) connectors on them. If you get the HR-34 from DirecTV, they will require that an installer come to the site to hook it up. If you get one from a third-party like Solid Signal, they'll probably activate it for you without an installer.

The C31 setup has slightly less capability, since it doesn't have it's own tuner and will have to use one of the HR-34s. So if you're watching live TV on both units, you'll only be able to record three programs. With the H-25, you could still record 4. The C31 setup will be $3/mo cheaper, since you don't need to pay the WHDVR fee.

If you don't want to do the SWM setup, and you don't need to watch recorded shows from the "other" TV, then you could do a pair of HR-24s. Simpler install, but less convenient.