RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Direct TV/Dish advice

We have been using Direct TV for probably 15 years or more. This month they raised our bill by $25, so we will be paying almost $150 per month!

I am not paying $150 per month to watch TV!

I am looking to see if we can save money with Dish, but don't know anything about them. Right now we have HD in the house and are using an old SD receiver in the RV that we no longer needed in the house.

I got on a chat with a Dish rep today, telling her about my present setup. She didn't seem to understand, telling me that they had a separate department that dealt with RV's. She gave me a price of $94 plus tax for the Hopper 3 receiver/DVR and their best program package for a 24 month period.

I need advice from some of you that are using Dish. Do they have the same type setup that I have with DTV? If so, what would I ask for?

I really appreciate your help!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If they are charging $94 for the first year, I bet the second year is equal to the price for DirecTV.

If you have a trav'ler dish for DirecTV it may not work for Dish. If you have the RF Mogul Dish you will need to reflash it.

Click here for my info on Navigators
1CoolZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The $94 was for the 24 month contract period. I think it was going to $117 after that.

I have the KVH R5SL dish on the MH. I looked at the manual and it said that it was compatible with the Dish 211 and 311 receivers, whatever those are!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
are you full timing in the RV? we aren't . we bought a DISH receiver/DVR (ViP722k) from an authorized re-seller (Strong Signals) and are on a pay-as-you-go plan. no contract of any sort and we can (and have) changed our plan as often as we like.

except for the RF Mogul antennae DISH and DirecTV are not interchangeable. DISH and DirecTV programming is essentially the same but the DISH satellites are lower in the sky making them a tad harder to lock onto in some areas. DISH also has two sets of satellites...the western and eastern arcs. again, the antennae from RF Mogul are able (I think) to see either arc whereas the Winegard antennae can see one or the other. the western arc satellites can be seen from most of the eastern US but if you restrict your travel or you're permanently set on the east coast you might want an antenna for the eastern arc. we easily see the western arc sats in south florida.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We are not fulltime.

Look at what they are charging just for equipment use!

DIRECTV Equipment Services
3. Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs7.00
2 TVs at $7; Save $7 off 1st TV

4. Advanced Receiver Service - HD10.00
5. DIRECTV Protection Plan7.99
6. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR10.00

SUBTOTAL34.99

Old 06-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

If you want to save money, you won't want to take that 16-tuner Hopper 3 on the road because you would need a Winegard Travler (about $1200) or an RF Mogul ($2000) roof dish. Unless, of course, you like setting up a 3 LNB portable dish.

So the Hopper 3 would stay at home and you would get a Wally receiver for the RV. In order to use that Wally, I suggest a Winegard X2 automatic dish. You can find the X2 bundled with a Wally for under $500.

I don't know what programming plan you signed up for but here they are (full price listed):
$75 - America's 120
$80 - America's 120+
$90 - America's 200
$100 - America's 250
$150 - America's Everything

All of these packages include local channels.

Also, your Hopper 3 costs $15/mon and I don't know what a Wally costs.

PS - You might be able to use your KVH dome with a Wally. The 211 is an older version of the Wally which would also work just fine. BTW, neither the 211 or Wally is a DVR. They are single-tuner receivers.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

You buy the Sally then just $7 a month for the RV. You get what ever program bundle you want plus the Hopper 3/with 16 tuners and a Joey for each tv in the house. At home all in HD. On the r o a d within 200 miles of home you will get your local channels. Have had Dish in the RV since 2012 and dumped Comcast in the house 4 years ago. Now with all we have $75 cheaper than Comcast a month.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

If you want more info, you can pm me. No I don't work for Dish!
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Your story sounds just like ours. This March the bill got to $150 and I said enough! We switched to Dish...250 channels, a Hopper 3, and two Joeys. Better equipment, better programs, a set of movie channels, better PIP, speak to remote controls. Saving $50 per month.
We have a Direct Winegard Travelr on the roof of the coach. The kit from Winegard to change it over was $ 240.. pending my installation next week. Will take Hopper and one Joey from the house to the coachwhen we travel.
Also, understand changing locations when in the rig is easy, peasy.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
If you have the RF Mogul Dish you will need to reflash it.
The Eagle controlled will require reprogramming AND a new dish and LNB setup on the top end, it's not just a change in the controller. Cost is about $4-500 total of you have someone do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We are not fulltime...
then a contract is not in your best interest. buy your receiver(s) and pay-as-you-go.

the minimum active period is a month (defined as 30-calendar days). a day or so before we leave on a trip I pay for a month's service and then continue to pay for each month while we're out. when we get back home I simply do not pay for the next month. this will cause your service to stop. you don't have to call anyone or put the service on "suspension"...just don't pay the bill. putting the service on suspension is good for only several months after which it will resume automatically. and putting your bill on suspension will not preserve any special pricing options. for example, we get HBO for $10 a month. the usual pricing is at least $20 per month. if we place our service on suspension we would lose the special pricing.

you can make changes to your package at any time, leave your service off for months at a time and change your service location to get the local channels at wherever you find yourself as often as you like.

are you going to see the same sort of little monthly charges...sure. since our service is off I can't login to my account at the moment but I seem to recall a monthly DVR fee of $12 but I think we paid a small one-time 'HD for life' fee. DISH, DTV, Comcast...they all do the same thing. then there are the taxes and fees which can change depending on which state you may find yourself in but those are courtesy of your government looking out for you and not DISH.

we bought our receiver and signed up for service initially with Strong Signals, an authorized DISH and DirecTV reseller. the folks I spoke with were very familiar with service in RVs. their phone is 1-877-312-4547. I have no connection to them other than as a customer.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #12

We do not have Dish at home but use a tailgater with the RV. We purchased the tailgater and the Wally receiver so no rent. It is my understanding if you have dish at home you can pay $7.00 a month for the receiver and get the same channels on the tailgater as you do at home.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
We do not have Dish at home but use a tailgater with the RV. We purchased the tailgater and the Wally receiver so no rent. It is my understanding if you have dish at home you can pay $7.00 a month for the receiver and get the same channels on the tailgater as you do at home.
With Direct you can just take your home receivers to the RV at no extra cost. I've been doing it for many years with no interruption of service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
We switched to Dish...250 channels, a Hopper 3, and two Joeys . . . We have a Direct Winegard Travelr on the roof of the coach. The kit from Winegard to change it over was $ 240.. pending my installation next week.
To connect a Hopper 3 to a Winegard Travler, you'll need DPH42 switch wired like this.

Tags
advice, dish