Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, but after studying this some more it works out better to just put my Directv on Vacation saving over $120 a month.

Get the Dish on demand pay as you go for $35 a month.

the receiver and remote on deal for $69 CW

THe King quest is less $$ about $315.

So it all works out for less.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Thanks, but after studying this some more it works out better to just put my Directv on Vacation saving over $120 a month.

Get the Dish on demand pay as you go for $35 a month.

the receiver and remote on deal for $69 CW

THe King quest is less $$ about $315.

So it all works out for less.
OK, you answered my question.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #17

I got the below setup and it cut my setup time in half. A lot of the time I had a signal when I first tested it and just had to fine tune it. I also use DishPointer for my points.

Heavy-Duty Combo Package for RV TV Satellite Dish
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #18

As for pointing a DirectV Slinline-2 antenna, tilt or skew is not a problem as all 12 satellites in the galaxy are within 4 degrees. I just leave my dish set at 90 degrees tilt unless in southern FL or CA. I use a Satlooklite sat meter that is programed only to lock on to the DirectV-4 sat in the 101 cluster, so if the azimuth is within 25 degrees and the 10 degrees of elevation the meter will find the sat. The meter powers the LNB while searching so running the single RG-6 coax is the most time consuming part of the setup. I carry 200 ft of RG-6 in 50 ft lengths, so I am almost never without a sat signal
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #19

Anyone that says setting up a sat dish should only take a few minutes has set one up many times and has selective memory for the first few times they tried it. Practice, practice, practice. After a while you will be able to almost see the satellite while pointing the dish. I also find the free satfinder lite (on my phone) app to be handy...just MHO
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
Anyone that says setting up a sat dish should only take a few minutes has set one up many times and has selective memory for the first few times they tried it. Practice, practice, practice. After a while you will be able to almost see the satellite while pointing the dish. I also find the free satfinder lite (on my phone) app to be handy...just MHO
Dave, you are 100% correct. I mentioned that there is a learning curve and practicing enough flattens it out to the point where you can quickly align the dish. A real sense of satisfaction comes over you.

There is an app called "Satellite AR" that I use on my Android phone that allows you to visualize (virtual reality) where the DirecTV satellites are. I have also used it to find the International Space Station and watch it go over.

This is the app that I use for determining the pointing parameters. Works with my phone GPS.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post

Truth.....probably took me an hour first time to understand how things work

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
Old 05-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #22

Direct TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
jimbo, you are going to need to spend a little more than $200 for a good system. If that doesn't bother you then I will be glad to give you part numbers and links to duplicate my system which works great. I think the cheap signal meters are almost worthless and most don't work with the SWM (single wire module) LNB. I do use the HR44 receiver and my wife assists me by watching the signal meters from the HR44 receiver on the TV. Once the tripod and dish is mechanically set up it takes less than 10 minutes to have the 3 satellites tuned in: 99°, 101°, and 103°. Great HD signal. I'm really interested to know how serious you are. Setting up and tuning is not rocket science but there is a learning curve.

Hey Ken, I met a traveling Direct TV installer in this TN state park who ran out of beer, For 2 beers he left a new dish, mount and wiring on my picnic table before leaving this morning. It looks like the same dish you have..It will work with my H25 (he said) .. He also left 50ft of coax, 2 other short ones plus 2 HDMI cables.. I think all that is needed is a meter to find signal / satellite, tripod and making a call to D-TV to reinstate service..I'll include system when I offer camper for sale.. Someone will get a perfect Minnie with no flaws , ac upgrade, nice Denver matress plus a Smart tv and satellite system.. Damn, maybe I should keep after battling Winnebago ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1105.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	161495  
2017 Winnebago 2200SS, Titanium Color........ 2017 Ram 1500, Reg Cab, Short Bed, 5.7 Hemi 3:92 Locking Axel with Factory Brake Controller
3 Card Mmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #23

I never run across a deal like that Monty. Congrats.

Tags
dish