Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hi Gary, I read your post yesterday and it got me thinking about how I'm going to set up my new Tiffin Bus when I get it. Will I need to have two Direct TV receivers in order to watch different channels on two different TVS at the same time? I plan on installing a Winegard Trav'ler Direct TV Dish, and was hoping that all I would need is one HD receiver with a splitter and an AB switch.
If you want different channels or recorded programs on different TVs at the same time, you need either two receivers or one Genie (HR34 or HR44) and a Genie client (C41 or C41W). If you want the wireless client, you also need the Wireless Video Bridge: DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge :: DIRECTV Hardware :: WeaKnees

If you're using wired clients, you'll need a DirecTV approved splitter. No need for an A-B switch at all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Pigman, Since you have a similar coach to the Bus 37AP that I have on order, maybe you can answer this question for me. I will have the in motion satellite up forward and will be installing the Winegard Trav'ler Dish on the rear of the roof. Will I need to install two Direct TV receivers in order to view different channels on two seperate TV's or can I just install one receiver along with an ABC switch to toggle between satellite dishes?
If you have both an in-motion dome and a Trav'ler, you can use an A-B switch. You need to make sure the dome is configured as an SWM antenna, which requires an SWM-8 device between the dome and the A-B switch. But that doesn't get you two TVs, just two antennas. You still need another receiver or a client for the second TV. See my other answer.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You can get a Genie HR44 that can send wireless to any other TV. Just set the Genie to record what ever you want to watch on the other TV's.
You still need the WVB for wireless clients. The HR44 doesn't have one built in.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Pigman, Since you have a similar coach to the Bus 37AP that I have on order, maybe you can answer this question for me. I will have the in motion satellite up forward and will be installing the Winegard Trav'ler Dish on the rear of the roof. Will I need to install two Direct TV receivers in order to view different channels on two seperate TV's or can I just install one receiver along with an ABC switch to toggle between satellite dishes?

Thanks, Sammie
Really not sure on that one, Sammie. I have two basic receivers to receive the different channels, but once you get into the new recorders and the networked systems, you're looking at things way beyond my pay grade. I'd recommend a call to Tiffin before your rig is built. They should be able to get you to the right engineer to answer your questions. In addition, if you're going to be at the plant when Tiffin builds it, they'll be happy to include any special wiring you need as long as you can give it to them. When our rig was built they added some additional wiring for a Morningstar solar controller for me and also moved the off air TV antenna so I could put a 1 meter internet satellite dish where you will have the in-motion dome.

Lots of luck with the new rig.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Called and got them activated. Well guess what, because I did not get the boxes from "DIRECT TV" my contract with them got "RENEWED" for another 2 years. Even though I had been with them for over a year.
You would had a new contract if gotten from DTV also. That has happen to me several times over the last 20 years I have had DTV. No big deal.
My present HR34(new), HR23(used), H21(used) and H25(new) were all gotten from eBay at much cheaper price then if gotten from DTV when I "Upgraded".
I bought my HR34 before DTV was giving them out FREE months later to upgrade. :(
Quote:
You do need to be cautious of some of the used eBay units sold online, some have unpaid past bills to DTV that you could get stuck with or not be able to activate it.
I have bought used from eBay. But always called DTV with the SN before bidding to see if it is clear of bills. New ones on eBay, DTV will have no info on them.
Quote:
Regardless of where you buy them, DTV "owns" the receiver and you still get charged $5 /mon for it, after the 1st free recvr
Sorry :( It has been $6 a month for extra receivers since Jan 2011 plus any applicable taxes.
If you don't have a DVR now, the Genie will cost a extra $10(includes Whole Home) month plus tax.
Regular DVR(2 receiver) is $7
If you don't have HD now, that will cost $10 month plus tax.
If you could get both E&W DNS. That would cost $20 a month plus tax.
Just one coast is less.
Quote:
You still need the WVB for wireless clients. The HR44 doesn't have one built in.
Yep! At $6 a month plus $6 for every client.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Sammie, I am not familiar with the Genie described in one of the posts above but we do have two HD receivers in the coach so we can watch separate programming.

I thought about the HDMI cable going bad but last evening, after the suspect receiver being shut down for several hours, I turned it on and I had audio. That makes me suspect that some component in the receiver is failing due to heat. My receiver is mounted in a cabinet with little ventilation and it does get hot in there. I plan to install one of the quiet muffin fans to vent that area when I get the new receiver next week.
Even more reason for me to suspect the HDMI cable is going bad. That would be a very quick and inexpensive check.
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #21

Sammie, The Traveler is a swm antennae. And it uses a swm splitter with a power inserter. You need a box for each tv if you want to watch different channels and receive HD. and the signal cannot be split. I just installed a wired genie with two clients in the rig. I had to run new rg6 coax to the outside tv and the rear tv. Have not used the system yet.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Gary,
Wait on buying a box from someone else... I had a box that went out and as luck would have it, it was the day before we left on a month trip. The box I had... "THEY" Direct TV did not make it or supply it. It was a "HD" reciever but it was not a DVR type. They said we can get a new one out to you in 3-5 days... I told the person, That I was leaving my home tomorrow for a month. So, I went out and purchased 2 new boxes and installed them. Called and got them activated. Well guess what, because I did not get the boxes from "DIRECT TV" my contract with them got "RENEWED" for another 2 years. Even though I had been with them for over a year. Their reasoning was that it was an "UPGRADE". Even though the box that broke was no longer sold or made. So now I call them every other month and ask when my contract with them is over. When they ask why... I ask if they have seen that commercial where DISH shows where DIRECT screws over their customers. With no answer to my question, I tell them you screwed me over and I will be cancelling my service with them the day my "NEW" contract is over with them. this is just my OPINION about Direct..
We had the exact same treatment from Direct TV. NEVER AGAIN! Plus we have stock in their company. we bought our receivers, Dish, no problems, and pay as you go program. Great service !
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #23

When I get to a place I'm going to be for a bit I make that place my home address to get the local channels. They do not seem to have a limit on doing this. Takes a quick phone call.
kohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
No audio from DirecTV

In our Cornerstone we've had same issue just about every time the receiver is cycled. Resolved by disconnecting power from the Bose unit for a few seconds... so far, works everytime.. Frustrating..
High2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #25

Quote:

Thanks, Sammie
Short answer: NO. You need to research DirecTV SWM technology and compare that environment with DirecTV non-SWM technology. Far more complicated than a simple A/B switch.

Tags
rust