RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Direct TV it's begun!!!

I know there's a few threads out there regarding the switch from SD to HD on Direct TV so thought I'd update on what I know and hopefully someone else has some answers..
I currently have an older TracVision that receives SD only.. Well a couple weeks ago I took the RV out and upon getting to the race track fired it up.. Almost all of the good channels were gone!!! This is due to the receiver only receives SD channels .. So HBO, Showtime and many others are now HD only..
It looks like the ONLY choice going forward is the Wineguard Winegard TRAV'LER RV Satellite Antennas - DIRECTV HD RV Antenna
I"m really hoping SOMEONE comes out with a unit that fits under a dome (never know when I"m camping in snow LOL).
Have any of you insiders heard any rumors as to if anyone is coming out with any new devices?

9dreizig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
I know there's a few threads out there regarding the switch from SD to HD on Direct TV so thought I'd update on what I know and hopefully someone else has some answers...
That would surprise me based on what we know about what they are doing. The major national channels will continue to be broadcast on both SD and HD as they are today until December of 2020. In some areas they have switched the locals away from SD (actually really away from MPEG2 compressed SD.) I am not familiar with your tracvision, as it could be a receiver problem only. My SD systems still work with a good old 18" dish on SD.

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #3

TracVision still works fine pulling in the same sat's as always.. the receiver is Direct TV provided..
Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I just checked the uplink reports as of 5/31 and both HBO (101, transponder 27) and Showtime (101, transponder 7) are both still broadcast in standard definition, as well as all other major channels.

I would think you may have some other issue going on, 9dreizig.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

Well, there are choices. The Travler is probably the worst of them. If you insist on an automatic roof top dish, go with RFMogul. A bit more expensive, but totally servicable on your RV. Your not forced to take it down, box it up and spend hundreds of dollars to ship it in as with Winegard. The best option is a ground based open faced dish tripod setup. If your really lazy on ebay buy one of the latest Direct meters and you will be watching TV in a hurry for around 500 dollars.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
TracVision still works fine pulling in the same sat's as always.. the receiver is Direct TV provided..
Then you will need a new receiver...H24 (which is non SWM and MPEG2 and MPEG4 compatible.) Make sure you tell DTV you don't want to change your antenna. You rig is probably non SWM, and the H24 will handle either SWM or multiswitched antenna systems.) $100!
Old 06-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post
I just checked the uplink reports as of 5/31 and both HBO (101, transponder 27) and Showtime (101, transponder 7) are both still broadcast in standard definition, as well as all other major channels.

I would think you may have some other issue going on, 9dreizig.
Agree. The cut off date has been moved to December 2020. Both signals should be available till then...but he will eventually need an H24 after 2020.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Well, there are choices. The Travler is probably the worst of them. If you insist on an automatic roof top dish, go with RFMogul. A bit more expensive, but totally servicable on your RV. Your not forced to take it down, box it up and spend hundreds of dollars to ship it in as with Winegard. The best option is a ground based open faced dish tripod setup. If your really lazy on ebay buy one of the latest Direct meters and you will be watching TV in a hurry for around 500 dollars.
Exactly what meter should I be looking for?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately Winegard seems to have discontinued its crank up 18 inch dish with electronic elevation readout. I have installed quite a few dishes in lots of places and knowing the elevation makes locking in the satellite a real breeze. Hardest thing is getting a azymuth for my location. I can understand why since it will not work for local channels after 2020, but I never watched them anyway. Get a locked signal in less than 1 minute...
Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I know there's a few threads out there regarding the switch from SD to HD on Direct TV so thought I'd update on what I know and hopefully someone else has some answers..
I currently have an older TracVision that receives SD only.. Well a couple weeks ago I took the RV out and upon getting to the race track fired it up.. Almost all of the good channels were gone!!! This is due to the receiver only receives SD channels .. So HBO, Showtime and many others are now HD only..
Actually, the real issue is that your old receiver only receives MPEG4 and DirecTV is changing to MPEG2 compression. By now you should have received correspondence from DirecTV explaining that you need a new receiver. You dish should continue to work fine and could receive HD channels if you chose to do that.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Actually, the real issue is that your old receiver only receives MPEG4 and DirecTV is changing to MPEG2 compression. By now you should have received correspondence from DirecTV explaining that you need a new receiver. You dish should continue to work fine and could receive HD channels if you chose to do that.
Ok since phone support is a total Charlie Foxtrot.... I had a technician come out..
Here's what I learned.. The box that I have is totally not supported anymore.. and there is no box that will work with a SD dish. Apparently I"m also not the only one MANY customers are experiencing the same thing and they just upgrade everyone to hd.. So basically there is no solution other than upgrade to a HD dish .
Even though they are saying that Feb 2020 is the cutoff per the tech ,, this is actually happening all the time.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Then you will need a new receiver...H24 (which is non SWM and MPEG2 and MPEG4 compatible.) Make sure you tell DTV you don't want to change your antenna. You rig is probably non SWM, and the H24 will handle either SWM or multiswitched antenna systems.) $100!
According to my technician who just left ,,no box is available.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

I have direct tv in the house and a wineguard travler on the mh, I just grab my receiver from the house and go.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Ok since phone support is a total Charlie Foxtrot.... I had a technician come out..
Here's what I learned.. The box that I have is totally not supported anymore.. and there is no box that will work with a SD dish. Apparently I"m also not the only one MANY customers are experiencing the same thing and they just upgrade everyone to hd.. So basically there is no solution other than upgrade to a HD dish .
Even though they are saying that Feb 2020 is the cutoff per the tech ,, this is actually happening all the time.
With all due respect that is totally contrary to what we believe the actual situation to be. You might want to read at least the beginning of this thread:
"Official" announcement of DirecTV 2019 changes

Many "DirecTV technicians" are independent contractors who would like nothing more than to sell you a new dish. That's not what DirecTV has told lots of other customers. You can do as you wish.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote