Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

I went ahead and switched from cable at home to the advance package Directv for the home and had them get me a receiver from them for the RV. Now it cost me 6.00 per month and when ever we are out we just power up the antenna and it's just like home. If you have a direct box the can probably get a card for you. But you might want look at the new HD box fora sharper picture
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is involved to convert a Directv Winegard Trav'ler Sat antenna to Dish? Purchased a new MH with the Directv but want pay as you go with Dish.
Thank You,
Ken
kdmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmuller View Post
What is involved to convert a Directv Winegard Trav'ler Sat antenna to Dish? Purchased a new MH with the Directv but want pay as you go with Dish.
I was in the same situation and did the conversion, it was pretty easy. The cost is about $300 but I figured I would save that back in about 6 months of not having to sign a 2-year commitment and pay for service I didn't need.

Some early SK-3005 units are not convertible due to an older firmware version in the control unit. Mine was installed around 2008 and was OK so if your unit is newer than that you are probably OK too, but if in doubt you can call Winegard to check (you will need the serial number off of the control unit.) Other than that the conversion is very easy, just replace the dish and LNA and tell the control unit what you've done (done easily from the front panel.)

The parts you need are Winegard p/n RP-SK11 and RP-SK21. You can order direct from Winegard and I think you can also get them from TVforMyRV.com (he is also on the forum) and save yourself a few bucks by getting free shipping and no sales tax.

The Dish pay-as-you-go service has worked very well for me. Here are some tips though to help avoid the problems some others have had:

1. Order your initial service through www.dishformyrv.com. They are experienced in setting up RV accounts.

2. If you need to call Dish for any reason be sure to be ask to be transferred to the 'RV Support' department. Do not talk to regular CS personnel as they are often not familiar with RV accounts.

3. If you use less than a month's service you can call Dish and ask to have your account 'disconnected' (be sure to use that word.) That way the remainder of the monthly fee will be pro-rated and will be left in your account to apply to the next usage, and there will be no monthly maintenance fee. Then just re-activate via the website (your credit will show there and you will only have to pay the remaining balance to start a new month.)
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave 430
Since you wanted to know about Direct TV... here is the problem I have with them.. I had one of their boxes go bad. I called them about it and they said "you need to get another box". I told them that I do not receive HD programming and they indicated that they "NOW" only supply HD receivers. They said that they could get a tech to me within 3-5 days. I wanted to know why it would take so long to get someone out to replace the box. I was told that I live in a "RURAL AREA" and that was as soon as they get someone to me.
Our local reseller for Direct and Dish could be at my home the same day. I had him replace the box and get it set up. Lo and behold... because i did not go through direct to get the new box...they considered it a upgrade and extended my contact to a new 2 year contract. So be careful if one of your boxes go bad. I believe I learned the hard way...
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote