RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We have DirecTV at home and love it because we can record up to six channels on any channel at any time.
However, because Dish has pay as you go, and a small receiver, we use that in the MH.
This year, we may try to unplug all the wires from the home DVR for DirecTV and see if we can get it to work in the MH.

Other than the ability to record more channels whenever, where ever, I am happy with either. We're not either video-philes or audio-philes. (Are those real words?)

Good luck on your decision.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi StuartS,
There are some tasks you might consider doing now. Your new coach will, most likely, come equipped with the latest video and audio capabilities. For video this means HD quality. Consider ordering your coach with an HD capable satellite dish (with auto find). Now you can look at both providers and determine what you want and the cost. The roof mounted dish will need to be programmed to find the satellites of the provider you choose. Make sure the manufacturer installs a dish programmed to the provider you choose.

I've had Direct TV since forever. In all these years I have had to contact Direct TV only to replace a receiver. This has been done without complaint.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #17

We have DirecTV in our home. When we go south for the winter I take a control box into the motorhome. After getting way south (Texas) we call DirecTV and ask for location change. NIGHTMARE!! No one would allow us to do it. A friend said to call after 4:00 PM as we would then get someone west of the Mississippi that knew what the hell we were talking about. Slickest, easiest changeover we ever had. Have been doing it for three years and not a single glitch anywhere!!

CALL AFTER 4:00 PM Central time
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Sure, it's a horse race for the fixed/house equipment, but for the RV...

Dish will add an RV receiver to the account for $7 a month.
With Dish, the RV receiver can be suspended when the RV is not used and without penalty with "pay-as-you-go".
Dish has HD on even the the most affordable program packs and equipment.

And, getting the network "locals" at your RV destination is just a quick call or chat with customer service.

Best luck to the OP
DirecTV costs us an additional $5.00 per month for the RV. Like Dish it can be suspended whenever the RV isn't being used. In our case we hardly ever suspend service. The motorhome gets used often enough it's not worth the time to call and suspend, then reactivate every few weeks.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
We plan to order a new coach & do not have a coach currently. We also plan to retire & will be relocating. I have always had conventional cable in my home from either Verizon or Comcast. So I am not sure if when I move I will get cable again or maybe use satellite TV that I can move from my home to my motorhome.
You are going to buy a new coach ? I am so glad you posted your question on here. I am going to give you really outstanding advice. Have them mount a Winegard Traveler from the beginning. You will thank me later when you do. Please thank me later rather than say I wish I had done that. I have had the dome stationary, The dome in motion and now I have a traveler. The problem with the domes are the size of the dish itself. It can only lock on to one satellite at a time. You have two TV's in your motor home probably. If you are watching a football game in the front and the wife is watching say yes to the dress in the back that is not going to happen unless they are both on the same channel ( and they are never on the same channel) If you are watching a show and when it is over you want to switch to something else that is on a different satellite then you are currently watching you have to wait for the dish to move to that satellite before the show comes on. If you opt for going with direct you will not get any HD with a dome dish. Also if you get a DVR that has the capability to record one show while watching another that does not work very well with the dome even if they are both on the same satellite. I had it work a couple of times but not well and I could never schedule a program to record. A lot of people are intrigued by the in-motion dome. I was and it was a really neat thing to see work. However the driver cannot watch TV while driving and the wife usually talks to me when I am driving. If you have grandkids they can watch DVR or DVD in the back while driving. The in-motion is a great idea but not really practical.

The Winegard Traveler on the other hand is the way to go. It automatically sets up with the push of a button. It can lock on to all three satellites at the same time. You can watch anything in either room just like a home system. You can use a multichannel DVR and record multiple channels. (Think Dish Hopper or Directv Genie) I said this before in this post and in other posts that anything but a traveler is a waste of money. Now that I know you are thinking about a new coach I am going to change my recommendation a bit. For one thing I noticed an earlier poster saying you can call directv and have them change for your local channels like dish does. I was not aware you could do that. I am going to recommend Directv for one reason primarily. You can get a winegard traveler for either dish or directv. The Dish for Directv HD is the biggest dish of the group. If you get it and for some reason you want to change to dish you can mount the correct dish for Dish network on the unit and change some electronics ( I believe someone said it was about 250.00 to do that.) If you get fed up with directv you can easily switch to dish. If however you get fed up with dish in the future the only way to switch to Directv is with a whole new system. ( about 2000.00 installed. As far as the service I am not going to compare price because it has changed since I had directv. I started with dish for several years went to direct because dish did not have whole house viewing then went back to dish when they came out with the hopper. I have been with each company over 5 years. Technical support is about the same for both. If you call dish you have to ask for their RV support group I think they have a new name now but the tech support person can just transfer you to them. They know what they are doing and know about RV's. When I had direct I called tech support told him what I had and he helped me set up. I think the Dish people have more RV knowledgeable techs but I did not have a problem with Direct. Direct tech support has one think going for it dish doesn't. If you do not use your receiver for a while you have to have it reinitialized. With Directv you get a message on the screen to call a number and it has an error code. You call the number enter the error code into your phone and it resets your receiver. With dish you have to wait in que until you get a real person and they reset it.

I actually prefer Directv more. It is for a very small reason but it is actually a lot more useful than it sounds. The two companies program there software differently. I believe Directv records the channel the tuners are tuned to all the time. I believe that dishnetwork does not start recording until you tell it to.
The difference is when you turn your TV on. If there is a movie or a show that you like playing you can go back to the start of that show and watch from the beginning. With dish if you turn your TV on and it is something you wanted to watch you cannot go back and watch from the beginning. Like I said it is a small thing but having had it and not having it now that I have dish it is something I miss. Directv has the genie it records 5 channels at once. Handy if you and the DW have different tastes in television shows. Dishnetwork has the hopper. The hopper has the ability to record three shows at once, but from 6 pm to 10pm you can record primetimes shows ( abc,cbs,nbc,fox,) at the same time. Actually it will automatically record them when you turn primetime recording on. The hopper will also record two channels in addition to primetime giving you the option to record 6 total during the primetime hours. In addition if you wait until the next day you can set the hopper to skip commercials on the primetime channels you recorded the day before.

I actually prefer Directv of the two. I had dish when I bought my traveler system and was going to switch back to Directv. I had two hopper recievers in my stick home and when I called Directv they refused to let me get two genie recievers for my home. I offered to pay full price for the second one. They were adamant about it. I went up two layers of management arguing but they would not change their minds and I stayed with Dish.

Enjoy your new coach. I have heard people say that at least one of the manufacturers would not give you credit for the dome system then normally install when you ask for a traveler. If that happens get the traveler any way. Then make sure they give you the dome they would have installed and you can sell it to defray some of the cost of the traveler.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you all the information I had about this subject.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I have DirectTV DVR with Winegard satellite. I get HD and local channels. I call and request zip code change with each move. You have to call and request technical support to get local channels and sometimes I have to get pushy to get zip code change. They change zip code and then ask for a local channels number and put that into TV without guide. Channel will show up and then local channels will fill in. It takes awhile to get all of the guide to fill in. If you get a KingDome you will not get HD with DirectTV which I prefer. I understand that you can get HD with Dish but have no experience. With KingDome when you buy MH, you may need to get dealer to set up for Dish. Make sure you know which service KingDome is set up for because it costs to get changed. Also on KingDome you only get one feed so you can not record on channel and watch another. With Traveler you can record two channels or record one channel and watch another. We do not like to watch advertisements so we normally rarely watch live TV especially during political ad season.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Direct for the RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
DirecTV costs us an additional $5.00 per month for the RV. Like Dish it can be suspended whenever the RV isn't being used. In our case we hardly ever suspend service. The motorhome gets used often enough it's not worth the time to call and suspend, then reactivate every few weeks.
Thank you for this information. This is specifically contrary to what Direct told me and the reason I went with Dish.

~Can you report what type DirectTV receiver can be added to the home account for only $5 a month?
Dish has the ViP-211 series described as "solo" receivers, and tailored for RV's...can be added to a home account/program package for only $7 - NOT the cost of an additional program pack. DirectTV told me that any additional receiver would be billed as an additional program pack.

~Can you provide any link to DirectTV offering a package similar to Pay-as-you-go (not a required subscription period or fee for suspension)?
DirectTV told me that each receiver would not only be billed with a separate program package, but would also have an annual subscription agreement period.

Thanks again
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #22

Based on my experience I would go with Dish all the way. Directs "vacation" mode costs every time you want to suspend and re-activate service. I tried Direct on my previous rig, taking the receiver out of the house (bedroom box) and leaving it in the RV all summer. Well the second year I did that the receiver wouldn't work with the RV sitting in the driveway. Called Direct and they could tell I used the receiver at different zip codes and they de-activated the box. I was told by CS that it was illegal for me to take the box with me. I cancelled my Direct service (that's a misnomer because they have no service!) and went to back to cable at home and just antenna for the RV which works just fine for most camping occasions.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Thank you for this information. This is specifically contrary to what Direct told me and the reason I went with Dish.

~Can you report what type DirectTV receiver can be added to the home account for only $5 a month?
Dish has the ViP-211 series described as "solo" receivers, and tailored for RV's...can be added to a home account/program package for only $7 - NOT the cost of an additional program pack. DirectTV told me that any additional receiver would be billed as an additional program pack.

~Can you provide any link to DirectTV offering a package similar to Pay-as-you-go (not a required subscription period or fee for suspension)?
DirectTV told me that each receiver would not only be billed with a separate program package, but would also have an annual subscription agreement period.

Thanks again
We have the model H24-200 receiver. It replaced one we previously owned. We got a letter from DirecTV late in 2012 declaring the old one obsolete and no longer supported. When we purchased our new motorhome in 2013 we turned in the card for our old receiver and were given the H24-200 as a replacement.
It shows up on our bill as a $5.00 per month charge. We can suspend service in monthly intervals, but since we rarely go a month without using it we haven't tried suspending the service yet.

I'm not knowledgeable on any pay as you go plans. We have DirecTV at home and in the motorhome. Since someone is at one or the other locations all the time it didn't seem to apply.

Our situation may be different than most. Our original service from DirecTV was for the motorhome only. We started that in 2001. It wasn't until 2007 that we added it at the house. We have only 1 plan covering both locations. The house is listed as a secondary location, as though it was in a second receiver in the same house.

I know plans and policies change on a regular basis.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Major difference: packages and price, plus Direc keeps going up up up more often than dish, but still they are not that different.

Direct is very heavy into sports, Dish has the channel I want which direct does not. (your wishes may vary).

DirecTV (not HD) works well with DOME type antennas, it's all on one bird, (101W) DirecHDTV not compatible with domes, 3 birds, two bands, Dishes can do multiple birds, but not multiple bands.

Dish: Dome works with a SINGLE receiver only, SD or HD, does not matter, 3 out of six birds (Satellites) some domes only, make sure you get one that will if you choose a dome.

With a Tripod mounted dish style antenna ... Pay attention only to the first part (Packages and price).

Get the one you like best.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I am asking the question here about Dish vs Direct TV because Newmar does factory install the Winegard Traveler (for a fee - lol), I just need to decide which one.
I don't think I'm even going to bother to get the dome installed. Just don't think I need the in motion.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Trav'ler is GREAT...but because this is the OP's latest post, I will submit that rooftop antenna can be blocked. This is not a DirecTV or Dish specific issue - but still a fact to consider.

You gotta ask yourself..."Do I like to park the RV near shade trees?" If your answer is "yes", then a rooftop antenna will have an issue - sooner or later.

We have very nice rooftop Winegard dish antenna - not the Trav'ler but it is still a nice piece of gear. But we just haven't been using it very much anymore because it was very often blocked by "evil-signal-sucking" shade trees.

We now use a portable antenna almost all the time because of signal blockage at many RV sites we prefer. We picked a portable that is fully automatic / auto-aims and auto-switches between the Birds as needed.

There several portables made by several companies for DirecTV and Dish.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never have anything but DirectTV! We tried Dish one time but didn't like it. I guess it's just what you get used to!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
DirecTV costs us an additional $5.00 per month for the RV.
Check you bill. You have been paying $6 for over 3 years for the RV receiver.
Quote:
When we purchased our new motorhome in 2013 we turned in the card for our old receiver and were given the H24-200 as a replacement.
It shows up on our bill as a $5.00 per month charge.
Check this months bill for that charge to say $6
Quote:
I have 4 receivers in my MH. My main one is a Genie that can record up to 5 programs at the same time. They charge me $18 for the 3 other receivers. $10 for DVR service and all 4 receivers could be DVR's if wanted. I only have 2. And $10 for HD.

Since having the Genie they charge another $3 for Whole Home DVR service if you want it or not. :( But no $6 receiver charge for the Genie.

I also pay $20 for both E&W coast of network channels.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish