Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

DirectTV changing from satellite to broadband

Read this article for more information:
https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/at...ead-truck-roll
I don't think I would invest money in DirectTV satellite equipment now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
WOW that will throw a kink in RVing TV's...

Sure glad I am hooked up with Dish Network...

Safe
Dave
Old 12-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 5G network slated for roll out next year and speeds that will allow streaming video over Cell/WiFi that's probably not a bad position to be in. Verizon is planning to use the 5G for home internet service replacing your current hard wired service and networks are starting to move away from the traditional hard-wired providers. I think the delivery of TV services is going to change drastically in the next couple of years.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

We dropped Direct satellite for Direct now. Using Rokuon each tv we get almost everything we watched including locals for a 1/3 or the price.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

They are not dropping satellite. They are trying to capture customers that have cut the cable or never had any.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

Directv Now

For 2 years Direct has had Direct TV NOW which is delivered via internet. That system works very well where you have a good internet speed and no data cap. I have used Direct TV NOW in the rv with my mobely and it is great. I signed up at the introduction got 100+ channel package for 36.95 a month . I am grandfathered at that price. If you have unlimited data in your coach it is pretty nice

I have posted a review several times on this forum of it.
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

With all due respect, DirecTV/ATT is not dropping or replacing satellite service, at least for the foreseeable future.

As a matter of fact, DirecTV/ATT will be launching yet another new satellite in 2019, designated DirecTV 16. With this addition to their existing satellite fleet, they have more than enough capacity in orbit to not only continue to broadcast satellite service for at least the next 10 years, but expand their service to include new/additional reverse band 4K broadcasts as well.

The link you provided is referring to a new "premium" streaming service that will offer every single channel you currently can get via satellite. The DirecTV Now service currently doesn't offer that. It's their way to try and retain/recoup subscribers that prefer streaming services over cable/sat service or that can't currently get DirecTV satellite reception due to line of sight, live in apartments/condos, etc.

It may be the future of DirecTV/ATT, but at least for the foreseeable future, satellite service via DirecTV/ATT isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Won't work for me in the RV. Most of places I go camping don't have cell service. Been with Direct TV 19 years. Now that ATT bought them service is really bad. Will be canceling when the change happens in April. Will switch to Dish most likely.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I don't think I would invest money in DirectTV satellite equipment now.
Fake news.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
Fake news.
No Mark, that's how I feel and what I'll do, it's not fake.
Don't shoot the messenger. Read the caption underneath the picture.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Read the caption underneath the picture.
I read the complete article. Did you?

Fake news has nothing to do with how you "feel".

The article claimed (FAKE) "...how it will eventually end its satellite service..."

And the article did nothing of the sort.
Implying AT&T is rolling out something (non satellite) AT&T wants folks to purchase does not equal the end of satellite service. FAKE NEWS!

Even at the end of the article:

> the company still has more than 25 million subscribers.

> Less than 2 million of that total are DirecTV Now subscribers,

You think AT&T is going to shun 23 million subscribers.

FAKE NEWS!
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I get Directv Now for $15/mo. (was $10 up until 2 months ago). Direct TV satellite will cost me $100+. On the other issue, I watch CNBC frequently and from an investment advisor point of view there has been news discussions about the financial strength and well being of Dish Networks. But maybe some company will buy them out and infuse $$$$ into the company like AT&T did for Direct TV. We have become or are becoming more addicted to being "connected". Maybe we should turn these things off and go camping or just go outside.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the past five years in the RV, we've turned on the TV perhaps a total of six-seven times. All at parks with cable connections. I'd much prefer to enjoy the experience when RVing and not watching some TV show. But that's only me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
You are indeed a rare bear.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite