Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
DirectTv, Motosat, Nomad 2 and recording

Our TV setup is a DirectTv HD package, a Motosat aerial (the one with the blue LED light), and a Nomad 2 box.

Our DirectTv box was playing tricks on us and on the advice from DirectTv, we decided to opt for the new Genie recorder that they have just announced.

2 weeks wait, and a mobile installer comes to the RV. Takes a look at the Motosat and the Nomad 2 and says that a Genie recorder can not be installed. First of all we would need to replace the Motosat HD dish to "a swimming ??? aerial , and next our Nomad 2 doesn't have 2 aerial outlets and will not work for that reason

He also says that because we don't have the 2 outlets on the Nomad 2, we can't have "the old style" recording unit from DirectTv.

Does this make sense to any of you? I can't believe that noone with a Motosat system has installed a DirectTv recorder?

Since both Motosat and Mosat are out of business there is no reason asking them. The new owners of Motosat - Niasat - do not seem to have continued the line of RV aerials.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Try RF Mogul, they are the previous owners, engineers, developers, etc of MotoSAT and they repair MotoSAT.

Niasat looks to be more of a commercial/business supplier rather than a consumer supplier.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
He didn't know what he was talking about. I have a Motosat HD-SL5 dish, Nomad SD controller, and the Genie (HR-34) DVR.

The newer DirecTV receivers require an SWM (Single Wire Multiplex) feed from the dish. Normally, DirecTV will do that with an SWM LNB. But you can't put that on a Motosat HD dish.

You need an SWM-8 converter/switch You take the four outputs from your Motosat HD-SL5 and feed those into the SWM-8 inputs. You take the regular output from the SWM-8 and run it to the HR-34. You connect the input on the Nomad to one of the Legacy outputs on the SWM-8. You also need a PI-29 (power inserter) in there somewhere. I can be between the HR-34 and the SWM-8 if you use the #1 output on the SWM-8. Or you can put it somewhere else and run it to the #1 by itself, and then run the #2 to the HR-34. Or you can run the power directly to the #3 Legacy output (I think).

You can install the SWM-8 either on the roof right next to the HD-SL5. That's the best choice if you don't have all four outputs already running into the coach. In my case, all four cables ran together into the basement, so I installed the SWM-8 in the basement. I also installed the PI-29 in the basement. Then I ran 1 output from the SWM-8 to the LR cabinet where the HR-34 is installed, and the other output to the bedroom where an older DVR is

Here's a document that Winegard wrote for how to do this. It only refers to Winegard satellites, but the HD-SL5 is almost the same as the SK-3005. The only difference is that you will need an additional cable from one of the Legacy outputs to the Nomad input.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Your best bet is to buy and install the SWM-8 yourself, then have the installer bring out the Genie. They SHOULD provide the SWM-8 for free with the upgrade, but most installers won't do it - they'll want to replace your dish, which you can't do.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

FlyingDiver

Great answer. I've been trying to pry that info from a local DTV store so I could make that change. Now you've provided me with al the answers. Thanks.

One other question though. Did your monthly DVR service go up? I was told it was going to $27.95 per month for the new Genies. Wow!

LJ
Currently on the Left Coast
wiirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirv View Post
FlyingDiver

Great answer. I've been trying to pry that info from a local DTV store so I could make that change. Now you've provided me with al the answers. Thanks.

One other question though. Did your monthly DVR service go up? I was told it was going to $27.95 per month for the new Genies. Wow!

LJ
Currently on the Left Coast
I had to pay an extra $6/mo for the receiver, since I wasn't deactivating either of my current ones (both had stuff on the DVR we wanted to watch). And I had to add the whole home dvd for $3/mo, I think. They're switching to a single advanced receiver fee instead of the individual charges for HD, DVR, and whole home, I think.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
He didn't know what he was talking about. I have a Motosat HD-SL5 dish, Nomad SD controller, and the Genie (HR-34) DVR.

The newer DirecTV receivers require an SWM (Single Wire Multiplex) feed from the dish. Normally, DirecTV will do that with an SWM LNB. But you can't put that on a Motosat HD dish.

You need an SWM-8 converter/switch You take the four outputs from your Motosat HD-SL5 and feed those into the SWM-8 inputs. You take the regular output from the SWM-8 and run it to the HR-34. You connect the input on the Nomad to one of the Legacy outputs on the SWM-8. You also need a PI-29 (power inserter) in there somewhere. I can be between the HR-34 and the SWM-8 if you use the #1 output on the SWM-8. Or you can put it somewhere else and run it to the #1 by itself, and then run the #2 to the HR-34. Or you can run the power directly to the #3 Legacy output (I think).

You can install the SWM-8 either on the roof right next to the HD-SL5. That's the best choice if you don't have all four outputs already running into the coach. In my case, all four cables ran together into the basement, so I installed the SWM-8 in the basement. I also installed the PI-29 in the basement. Then I ran 1 output from the SWM-8 to the LR cabinet where the HR-34 is installed, and the other output to the bedroom where an older DVR is

Here's a document that Winegard wrote for how to do this. It only refers to Winegard satellites, but the HD-SL5 is almost the same as the SK-3005. The only difference is that you will need an additional cable from one of the Legacy outputs to the Nomad input.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf
I have the HD SL5 now.

I want to upgrade to the directv genie so this is good news. However, when I move the present boxes to the MoHo I have to change the directv antenna/dish setting to "round" form the SM 5 and back when I put them back in the house. Does the Genie have the ability to change antenna or dish configurations?
twobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dang few installers understand RV type antennas.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote