RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We have used satellite DirectTV for many years. On one of the satellite recovers we pay a monthly fee to use remotely. For many years this has worked great across the country.

The last 2 times out the menu listed programs, but none that we would normally see and the programs listed could not be select. Called DirectTV but they were of no help. Just said that it must be our equipment or we were out of our service area. I said nonsense, I'm 35 miles from home and this has worked accros the country. Returned home and everything worked great again???

2nd time out and the same thing happened. Again called DirectTV and again, no help, BUT this time while still trying to get something to work, I happened to "bump" the "Transponder select" feature and everything worked.

I have never in 10+ years ever used the Transponder Select feature either at home or on the road.

Does this make sense? Why did this happen and just what does the Responder Select feature do??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have used satellite DirectTV for many years. On one of the satellite recovers we pay a monthly fee to use remotely. For many years this has worked great across the country.

The last 2 times out the menu listed programs, but none that we would normally see and the programs listed could not be select. Called DirectTV but they were of no help. Just said that it must be our equipment or we were out of our service area. I said nonsense, I'm 35 miles from home and this has worked accros the country. Returned home and everything worked great again???

2nd time out and the same thing happened. Again called DirectTV and again, no help, BUT this time while still trying to get something to work, I happened to "bump" the "Transponder select" feature and everything worked.

I have never in 10+ years ever used the Transponder Select feature either at home or on the road.

Does this make sense? Why did this happen and just what does the Responder Select feature do??

Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not very familiar with Direst TV receivers, but if you can do a receiver "reset" it may correct your problem.

A similar problem happens with our Dish Network receiver and a "reset" always fixes the problem.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

In most cases, when you are seeing the wrong programming and the guide does not have the correct programming it means that you are pointed to the wrong satellite. I think it's the 119 that will show a signal on the higher transponders even though you are not pointed at 101. Change the transponder to 2 and ensure you have a signal there. If not, you are not pointed correctly.
Every satellite has a certain number of transponders and some have overlapping transponders. Each on is just a transmitter and can carry about 10 channels of SD programming so if you have 32 transponder each broadcasting 10 channels you have 320 TV channels (just an example). Every time you change channels your receiver will automatically change transponders. Manually setting the transponder in the receiver is of no value expect when ensuring the dish is properly pointed. Selecting a different transponder that "shows" a higher number will not improve your signal. It only shows you that each transponder has a slightly different signal strength. Selecting transponder 2 during a search routine will ensure that you are on the 101 satellite only as this transponder does not exist on the 110 and 119 satellites.
There are also several transponders that are spot-beamed so if you select one of these by mistake you will show NO signal strength even if the antenna is properly pointed.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replys and info. RV up on jacks for now (and it is snowing right now on top of the ice) so will have to wait untill spring to see what happens.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Thanks for the replys and info. RV up on jacks for now (and it is snowing right now on top of the ice) so will have to wait untill spring to see what happens."

Ahhh, I do truly feel sorry for you. We live in Arizona (for 46 years) and take short trips during the week or for slightly longer during the winter. In the summer, we high-tail it to the northlands for extended trips.

Our idea of 'winterizing' is to turn off the refrigerator.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah! But I bet you can't make DO-NUTS as easily as I can with the jeep on this stuff. Wheeeee (But my toes are cold).