Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post

You are not supposed to have both local channels and DNS on the same account. .
That sure hasn't been our experience since we signed up for DNS about 15 months ago. My understanding is that we can't have them both ACTIVE at the same time... although the first time we returned to our local area and asked that the locals be turned back on they did that and stopped charging us for the DNS but didn't turn them off so we did have both by mistake.

Is this a new addition to the law in the past year or so?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
That sure hasn't been our experience since we signed up for DNS about 15 months ago. My understanding is that we can't have them both ACTIVE at the same time... although the first time we returned to our local area and asked that the locals be turned back on they did that and stopped charging us for the DNS but didn't turn them off so we did have both by mistake.

Is this a new addition to the law in the past year or so?
You are correct that you can have both DNS and locals, but you can't have them active at the same time. Thanks for the correction.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding DNS and a home account:
A few years back Disnnetwork was sued because they were a bit too free with the DNS authorizations for folks with homes that were serviced by local stations.

DirecTV is equally guilty of this same kind of violation but... since one of the major stockholders in the networks.. THE ONE NETWORK WHICH DID NOT REACH AN AGREEMENT WITH DISH and thus caused the court to have to rule against them.. Also is a major stockholder in DirecTV.. Well I guess you know how that goes.

Now to the Original poster.. Since you say you won't be using DirecTV in the stick house any more.... Threaten to cancel it.. IF they won't transfer it to an RV account and give you DNS.. Jump ship.. There is another service out there after all.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I'm a little confused. Just bought a new MH with a KingDome. I don't have Direct or Dish at my stick house. I would like to have the use of sat TV in the MH.......so which is the best way to go?
As I understand it, and I may have this wrong, but with Dish I can get HD but with Direct I can't, using the KingDome. Is this correct?
I realize I will need an new account with one or the other (former Direct customer at the stick house) and will I need a special waiver or what ever you call it to get the local channels where ever we are?

Sorry if the questions seem redundant, but just trying to get the best system that will work with our KingDome.

Thanks,
Phillip
Newmarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
yes
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
here is a great place to buy it from Winegard Trav'ler Traveler DirecTV Slimline KU/KA Satellite Dish ..
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarboy View Post
Okay, I'm a little confused. Just bought a new MH with a KingDome. I don't have Direct or Dish at my stick house. I would like to have the use of sat TV in the MH.......so which is the best way to go?
As I understand it, and I may have this wrong, but with Dish I can get HD but with Direct I can't, using the KingDome. Is this correct?
I realize I will need an new account with one or the other (former Direct customer at the stick house) and will I need a special waiver or what ever you call it to get the local channels where ever we are?

Sorry if the questions seem redundant, but just trying to get the best system that will work with our KingDome.

Thanks,
Phillip

OK. Here's what we did. Our King Dome (2009 model) receives all sat. providers, but, as I said, not DirecTV HD.

To get HD, signed up w/Dish. Purchased our own receiver (approx. $100.). Received a "non-promotional RV account". Signed up for all channels except local, which was offered. Allows us to unlimited pause and restart. Cost is $5./month during pause. Cannot pause for over 6 months. Everything works as planned. Have to switch to southern east coast sats. when in south FL. No problem as King Dome is programmed for that.

Nick Dienes
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdienes View Post
OK. Here's what we did. Our King Dome (2009 model) receives all sat. providers, but, as I said, not DirecTV HD.

To get HD, signed up w/Dish. Purchased our own receiver (approx. $100.). Received a "non-promotional RV account". Signed up for all channels except local, which was offered. Allows us to unlimited pause and restart. Cost is $5./month during pause. Cannot pause for over 6 months. Everything works as planned. Have to switch to southern east coast sats. when in south FL. No problem as King Dome is programmed for that.

Nick Dienes
Nick,

Thanks for the information. That pretty well clears it up for me. I have a 2010 Newmar, but the KingDome may be a 2009, not sure. I will dig into the provided information and find out. I have been reading so many manuals I am bleary eyed.
I really appreciate the response.

Phillip
Newmarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW!!! I almost think Directv monitors this forum!! I got a call from directv (yes, THEY called me) and discussed my problems with me. She was extremely knowledgeable and really cared!! I now have my local channels back from Salt Lake City even though I am in Casa Grande, AZ. Simply required a push of a computer key to change the cancellation of local channels that I DID not request. We then proceeded to work on upgrading my system to HD. I have ordered the winegard 3005 and it will be installed next week. I also ordered an HD/DVR from Directv that will be shipped to my location in Casa Grande and will be here this week. Once I get everything installed I will call Sharon (directv representative who called me today) and she will activate my system immediately. I did have to establish a second account for the motor home but I can also "freeze" my home account while we are away so I won't have to pay for two different accounts. It was all so simple once I got someone on the other end of the phone that knew exactly what was needed. Sharon works with the DNS and RV system so she knew exactly what I needed. I wonder why the level one personnel don't just transfer us to someone who knows what we mean by motor home, DNS, and away from home mean. Now for the greatest part of this story; Sharon gave me her direct phone number that I may call at any time if I have problems. No more computer aided answering machines and people who think I am from another planet!!!!
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Come on... you're making that up!

Seriously, that's a great turn of events. Maybe there's hope yet.

Enjoy your new toys.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #25

Directv CEO Mike White was on Undercover Boss last night and was really concerned about some of the problems causing customers aggravation so wonder what it would take to reach him with some of these situations that their limited intelligent Customer Service Reps seem to have? They must get penalized if they have to turn your problem over to a supervisor since its almost impossible to get past whoever answers the phone first. Mike White seemed concerned that the CS Reps handle the customer's questions correctly and courteous but don't think he hung around that department long enough to realize just how bad things are.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Boy, did some of you guys get off the subject on the originators question. To get back to the subject, I too have been hoping for some more choices on sat antenna's for HD. The Winegard SK3005 for the time being is about the only show in town. Granted the MotoSAT HD antenna is available but it's not recommended due to the many software issues and the fact it's a lot more expensive then the SK3005.

The problem I see with the SK3005 is it's physical size and it's weight. The footprint needed for the sat to rotate through it's complete area is pretty big.
Spec's: SK-3005
Length: 44 inches
Width: 34 inches
Weight: 53 lbs
It requires quite a bit of space to rotate, especially if you're in the northern part of the U.S. or even worse while in Canada. The sat's are lower in the sky and so the dish doesn't raise up as far and if you don't have a lot of space your in trouble.

On some motorhomes, and probably on most 5th wheels this may not be a problem, but on my gasser there's only one location to put something this big. But even then I worry about the weight. 53 lbs is a lot of weight, especially when it's not spread out much.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Follow up on Directv and winegard 3005. Had the new satellite installed this week and everything went great. What a difference; reception is great!!! Just push a button; satellite does the rest!! One problem with Directv; could only select one coast for DNS but I understand they are changing that policy this month. I would like both coasts available since we are travelling across the country. Other than that minor glitch, we are very happy with the 3005 and Directv.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
Follow up on Directv and winegard 3005. Had the new satellite installed this week and everything went great. What a difference; reception is great!!! Just push a button; satellite does the rest!! One problem with Directv; could only select one coast for DNS but I understand they are changing that policy this month. I would like both coasts available since we are travelling across the country. Other than that minor glitch, we are very happy with the 3005 and Directv.
Glad the install went well and you like your new dish. Love ours too.

As for DNS changing this month... I assume you're talking about them changing for the worse? With HD DNS I don't believe they've been offering both coastal feeds and from what I understand they are about to start limiting SD DNS to a single feed based upon your billing address.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD