Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
The motorhome I purchased has an automatic dish on the roof and an Directv reciever inside. I called Directv, and the lady I talked with wanted to send me a new reciever and have an installer come out to set it up. I can activate the dish and it finds the satelite and I can watch channel 100, so I know that much works. The other channels have a message screen saying to call customer service, EXT722 to activate service. Is that all I have to do?, or do I have to sign up for a 12MO commitment. I have cable at home and am happy with it, but I would like to have satelite in the RV because many places we go we have little or no receiption with the regular antenna.

Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The motorhome I purchased has an automatic dish on the roof and an Directv reciever inside. I called Directv, and the lady I talked with wanted to send me a new reciever and have an installer come out to set it up. I can activate the dish and it finds the satelite and I can watch channel 100, so I know that much works. The other channels have a message screen saying to call customer service, EXT722 to activate service. Is that all I have to do?, or do I have to sign up for a 12MO commitment. I have cable at home and am happy with it, but I would like to have satelite in the RV because many places we go we have little or no receiption with the regular antenna.

Thank You
Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Does it have the card in it? It probably must, otherwise you'd probably not get anything to work. In any case, all you have to do is tell them you want this one activated as a second receiver and you're going to be using it in your RV. This way they won't require a phone line be connected. They'll ask you for the number off of the card and turn it on while you're on the phone with them. I'd get it all set and ready to go when you call them using your cell phone (if you have one) from the RV.

One thing about DirecTV like other similar types of service providers is if you're not happy with the answers you get with the person you get on the phone, hang up and call again and you'll get another one that will have completely different answers.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #4

Call Direct TV after you have written down
the model and serial number of the receiver.
Tell them the receiver is working fine. You
do not need a new receiver. Also write down
the number of the Access card that has been inserted into the receiver its normally located
in the front of the receiver there should be
a little flip up door to access it.
tell them the type of service you want, basic
or what ever program offerings they have. They then should be able to activate your receiver and you should be good to go. Happy camping!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #5

I am in almost the same situation as the OP(thus I am not creating a new thread). Cable at home and will have a DtV reciever in the MH. In my case, I would be buying the reciever. Unless I buy used with the card, how does one get an access card? Does that come directly from DtV or would it come with the reciever?
I am reading as much as I can and learning but still have questions.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
A new receiver will come with a card - a used one should as well.

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV 4 2:
I am in almost the same situation as the OP(thus I am not creating a new thread). Cable at home and will have a DtV reciever in the MH. In my case, I would be buying the reciever. Unless I buy used with the card, how does one get an access card? Does that come directly from DtV or would it come with the reciever?
I am reading as much as I can and learning but still have questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As has been said the used receiver should come with a card, but be aware that if there are any unpaid Pay Per View charges associated with the account that activated the card initially, you may have a lot of trouble (maybe can't?) getting it activated without paying the charges.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally got with someone at Directv that understood what I wanted to do. I could not reactivate the card that came with my reciever as it was registered to the previous owner. I had to get a new card under my name, that cost $20.00, then I was able to set up an "RV" account with them. So far it's worked out good, I have been able to suspend and reactivate service when I want. Now I am looking to get a portable dish I can set up when I am in the trees and the roof top dish is blocked.