Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'll bet he's talking about getting OTA channels via the Batwing which will give you great HD... but I'm not sure how or why it would be a better picture than via satellite.

Rick

My buddy who works at DirecTV says that is correct.
You will get better picture quality with an old fashioned TV antenna.

Reason is Direct has to compress the signal so much to get all those channels
down their pipe.

Mind you you can only pick up the local channels but they look better
then Direct or Dish.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
My buddy who works at DirecTV says that is correct.
You will get better picture quality with an old fashioned TV antenna.

Reason is Direct has to compress the signal so much to get all those channels
down their pipe.

Mind you you can only pick up the local channels but they look better
then Direct or Dish.
Thanks. I had actually gotten the same response from another member and I'm sure it's correct. It's just something my aging brain still hasn't gotten a good grasp of. I understand compressing a signal for bandwidth... but it's a digital signal so it's "1's and 0's" being compressed and decompressed so I just don't understand where the signal degradation comes from.

Fortunately, I don't have to understand it to enjoy a great HD picture.

Thanks again.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #45

It really depends on the type of compression used. There are 'lossy' and 'less lossy' codecs. (Compression/decompression algorithms ). Some of the 1s and 0s are lost.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Do the less lousy ones use error correction or is that a terribly outdated technical term?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #47

Have been with Direct in one way or another since I got my motorhome 6 years ago. I originally had DNS, having mailed in copy of veh. reg. and all the forms, but cancelled it about a year later. I thought I'd like to try DNS again and, after trying to figure it out on the website, I made the dreaded call to DTV.

I explained that I was on the road in an RV, had my account at home with one of my DVRs in the coach. The rep explained all about DNS and how easy it would be and agreed to send necessary forms. I asked a bunch of questions and he confidently (what's new here!) gave assurances.

After the call I read thru the forms the rep had sent. I find out that I need 2 separate DTV accounts if I want DNS so the $15/month DNS charge is not really $15 but much more due to the 2nd account. Sure, I can turn my mobile account on and off part of the time I am parked but because of their restrictions on that I'll often be paying for service when I don't need it. It seems that DISH and DTV have different requirements for DNS. I don't know about DISH, but DTV lays the blame on FCC.

I have been looking thru these posts on DNS, DirecTV and DISH and I'm baffled. I continue to be amazed at how anyone can run a successful business and have so many uninformed or ill-informed people working their phone banks!! Read the DTV website and support pages and you get incomplete or vague or factually wrong info about this and other things.

I wonder if DISH subscribers are as frustrated as DTV subscribers seem to be. Must stop this rant as it's only raising my blood pressure. Thankfully I don't need DNS and the less I think about DTV or have to deal with them the better off I am.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #48

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
Have been with Direct in one way or another since I got my motorhome 6 years ago. I originally had DNS, having mailed in copy of veh. reg. and all the forms, but cancelled it about a year later. I thought I'd like to try DNS again and, after trying to figure it out on the website, I made the dreaded call to DTV.

I explained that I was on the road in an RV, had my account at home with one of my DVRs in the coach. The rep explained all about DNS and how easy it would be and agreed to send necessary forms. I asked a bunch of questions and he confidently (what's new here!) gave assurances.

After the call I read thru the forms the rep had sent. I find out that I need 2 separate DTV accounts if I want DNS so the $15/month DNS charge is not really $15 but much more due to the 2nd account. Sure, I can turn my mobile account on and off part of the time I am parked but because of their restrictions on that I'll often be paying for service when I don't need it. It seems that DISH and DTV have different requirements for DNS. I don't know about DISH, but DTV lays the blame on FCC.

I have been looking thru these posts on DNS, DirecTV and DISH and I'm baffled. I continue to be amazed at how anyone can run a successful business and have so many uninformed or ill-informed people working their phone banks!! Read the DTV website and support pages and you get incomplete or vague or factually wrong info about this and other things.

I wonder if DISH subscribers are as frustrated as DTV subscribers seem to be. Must stop this rant as it's only raising my blood pressure. Thankfully I don't need DNS and the less I think about DTV or have to deal with them the better off I am.

Thanks for listening.
A suggestion I read in one of these forums for avoiding the two account charge for DNS is to tell them you want to cancel the account in the house and intend to only have the DNS RV account. Then tell them you need 3 DVRs because you want one in the LR , one in the bedroom and one in the outside bay and you don't have SWM so you can't use the SWM whole house DVR. Then take two of the DVRs and put them in the house. This should give you both local channels and DNS in the house.

I don't know if you can pull this off, but it sounded like something that was worth a try. However, if you want more than 2 receivers in the house it may be difficult to make the request sound reasonable.

As for Dish, I assume you know that it no longer offers DNS and the other company that can sell it to you now only offers DNS in SD.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #49

Thanks for the suggestion DOC but not sure I want to go down that road. I don't particularly want to jeopardize my setup at home which is Whole Home DVR and if I ever have a problem there I don't want to have to explain why it doesn't appear to be an RV. In the grand scheme, DNS isn't all that important. I didn't realize there was another company that "sells" DNS. Who is that and do you know how it works and how much?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #50

Doc I just sent email to My Distant Networks asking if I can purchase their service for use with DirecTV. My sense is that I cannot but will see what they say.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #51

The just in. My Distant Networks does not work with DirecTV or DTV equipment.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Weaknees

You might have a look at the Weaknees web site.

They sell DVR and satellite gear.

Both their tech support and forum seem on top of things.

I think I'm going to order some HD DVR gear from them to connect to
DirecTV. I want the 5 program recording (Genie) set-up.

Plan to do my own install with a Travler dish.

Thoughts on my plan?

QUOTE=rvjimzhr;1398012]Have been with Direct in one way or another since I got my motorhome 6 years ago. I originally had DNS, having mailed in copy of veh. reg. and all the forms, but cancelled it about a year later. I thought I'd like to try DNS again and, after trying to figure it out on the website, I made the dreaded call to DTV.

Thanks for listening.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone know more about the set-up I mentioned?

I know there is a newer HDDVR box from Direct TV, anyone using it?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
It seems the Dish vs. Direct TV controversy continues. We have a KVH Trac Vision SF that can't find 119 and only on rare occasions 121. KVH has been kind enough to offer us a used Trac Vision for a paltry $900.00. We're about ready to switch to Direct TV but before we do would appreciate any advice from actual users. Of course Direct TV marketing promises their "technically advanced system" will work with any TV, Receiver, Motorhome or Trailer, even with clouds, small trees, smog, birds, aircraft etc. in sight.
Thanks for any help.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt View Post
It seems the Dish vs. Direct TV controversy continues. We have a KVH Trac Vision SF that can't find 119 and only on rare occasions 121. KVH has been kind enough to offer us a used Trac Vision for a paltry $900.00. We're about ready to switch to Direct TV but before we do would appreciate any advice from actual users. Of course Direct TV marketing promises their "technically advanced system" will work with any TV, Receiver, Motorhome or Trailer, even with clouds, small trees, smog, birds, aircraft etc. in sight.
Thanks for any help.
We've never had Dish. Been with DirecTv for a dozen years or more and have been pretty happy overall.

We've traveled through 46 states and 5 provinces while covering 52000 miles. We were full time for two years and "most time" for four more. Never had a problem with reception, coverage or support.

We got great coverage with our Winegard SK3005 HD automatic dish and our DirecTv HD DVR. I set it up so that the single DVR feeds all three sets. The SK3005 is an amazing dish. It really can pick up the birds when you think there's no way because of trees. Naturally it can't see through thick stuff but it does a great job of locking on to 5 sats.

I think the DTV "marketing stuff" you mention is accurate for as far as it goes but you may well find that you'll need to work on things a bit to get everything singing in harmony. This stuff isn't always plug and play in RVs.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Thank You Rick: I've been reading everything available here comparing both. After 11 years with Dish the recent unsolvable problems are prompting a change. If we must replace the dish for optimum reception we will.
Thanks again.