Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
pddgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunrise Beach, MO
Posts: 193
I have only been a Direct customer for 6 months or so. Can say overall I am not one of their happier customers. We have the portable dish and standard system, since we are not eligible for the HD system, unless we want to purchase it outright at ridiculously high prices. We have been told each time we move that local channels are available and we can get them, but it never happens. When we call to find out why then we get the DNS pitch. We are fairly stationary only moving in the summer or winter. We are getting ready to head for Florida for the winter, I have been told that once there, it we call and have the address changed on our account, we will be
getting local channels. I am betting a BBQ'd dinner and a cold beer it don't happen. When talking to the customer service people, it depends on who you get and how much they really know about Direct and it's rules, etc. Most don't seem to know..
__________________

__________________
Joe
2000 Pace Arrow 33v
2016 GMC Terrain, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
 
K-Star's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fulltime - Currently somewhere in the lower 48
Posts: 2,213
Why must I swap out my portable tripod and dish to a permanently mounted dish in order to get DNS?
__________________

__________________
John, Joyce & Zoie the Terrier. - Fulltime since `08

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
I have only been a Direct customer for 6 months or so. Can say overall I am not one of their happier customers. We have the portable dish and standard system, since we are not eligible for the HD system, unless we want to purchase it outright at ridiculously high prices. We have been told each time we move that local channels are available and we can get them, but it never happens. When we call to find out why then we get the DNS pitch. We are fairly stationary only moving in the summer or winter. We are getting ready to head for Florida for the winter, I have been told that once there, it we call and have the address changed on our account, we will be
getting local channels. I am betting a BBQ'd dinner and a cold beer it don't happen. When talking to the customer service people, it depends on who you get and how much they really know about Direct and it's rules, etc. Most don't seem to know..
I don't think the issue is that your not "eligible" for HD with DirecTv... it's just that they broadcast HD on multiple satellites and only the "high priced" dishes will do that unless you want to go with a tripod set up.

You're right about the DTV reps being inconsistent in their knowledge of RVs and/or how DTV wants to handle them. It's frustrating at times.

You should be able to change your "service address" twice per year. Call them when you get to Florida and give them your new service address. You probably don't want them to change the billing address but that's your call. They will reset your receiver so you can get "locals" while you're on the phone. If you get an agent that says you can't do that, either ask to speak with their supervisor or call back and get a different agent. We've had DNS for years but you won't need it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Why must I swap out my portable tripod and dish to a permanently mounted dish in order to get DNS?


You don't. Why do you think you do?


Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #60
Member
 
John Pacello's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Everson, WA.
Posts: 75
RV Representative

When we get to a new location, we call dish and ask for an RV representative.

They will change the location while you are on the line.

John
__________________
2003 Gulfstream Friendship 41 Ft. Quattro 4-slides. Serial: 58-4557, Model 8408 FS, Freightliner with
MP-8 425+HP Cat.
John Pacello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacello View Post
When we get to a new location, we call dish and ask for an RV representative.

They will change the location while you are on the line.

John
DISH has a RV customer service "department", does DirectTV have the same?
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus
 
K-Star's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fulltime - Currently somewhere in the lower 48
Posts: 2,213
All the web sites talk about the permanently installed dishes. Just assumed.

Can I still use my DirecTV HR-24 HD Receivers?
__________________
John, Joyce & Zoie the Terrier. - Fulltime since `08

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
DISH has a RV customer service "department", does DirectTV have the same?
I don't believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
All the web sites talk about the permanently installed dishes. Just assumed.

Can I still use my DirecTV HR-24 HD Receivers?
I don't see why not, but was your question about DNS?

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
 
K-Star's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fulltime - Currently somewhere in the lower 48
Posts: 2,213
yes. i am considering signing up for DNS as we are more mobile now. I had the service installed while in PA 3 years ago while I was still working. I told them I was in an RV and they set it up as a residential account as i was only in PA (for the summer) or TX (for the winter). Now that i retired we aremoving around more and I am thinking about changing to DNS to get locals via DirecTV (as opposed to OTA).

I have 2 HR-24 receivers and a portable dish (Slimline-3)
__________________
John, Joyce & Zoie the Terrier. - Fulltime since `08

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
yes. i am considering signing up for DNS as we are more mobile now. I had the service installed while in PA 3 years ago while I was still working. I told them I was in an RV and they set it up as a residential account as i was only in PA (for the summer) or TX (for the winter). Now that i retired we aremoving around more and I am thinking about changing to DNS to get locals via DirecTV (as opposed to OTA).

I have 2 HR-24 receivers and a portable dish (Slimline-3)
I don't think there's any reason you can't get either east or west (depending on your billing address) DNS HD feeds with the hardware you've got.
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus
 
K-Star's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fulltime - Currently somewhere in the lower 48
Posts: 2,213
Thanks Rick
__________________
John, Joyce & Zoie the Terrier. - Fulltime since `08

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,826
I don't believe you can get HD with DNS with DISH now.
__________________
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I don't believe you can get HD with DNS with DISH now.
I still have a SD receiver in the RV although my TV's are HD. I plan on upgrading to a HD DVR receiver soon. I have been told that my DNS service will still be SD.
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #69
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Open Road.
Posts: 97
Has anyone figured out how to get Directv's Sunday Ticket using their DNS package?
__________________
Retired USAF
Tuscany 45LT
LDMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDMcK View Post
Has anyone figured out how to get Directv's Sunday Ticket using their DNS package?


I didn't think those two things were related?

Are you having trouble signing up for the Sunday Ticket service? Back in the day, one needed to be connected to a land line for that but it certainly may have changed.

Rick
__________________

__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Dish Network DVR not working with Kingdome in-motion satellite dish ? Harry B Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 14 05-02-2014 08:38 AM
Dish Network vs Directv HD DNS service KentM Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 38 03-30-2009 07:44 PM
Directv or Dish? Mothership Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 12 06-29-2008 12:25 PM
DISH or DirecTV ? RRT2 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 24 05-02-2007 09:03 AM
Dish Network Customers losing East/West Feeds dextery Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 29 11-28-2006 03:04 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.